• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I've always thought Drew would be a top pick for the squad... see how he performs in the lead up as to weather he makes the 23. Anyone who has been watching that comp would have seen he has regained his pace and has a tremendous boot on him now days. He also has a very good rugby brain which, sadly, is something just about all of the wingers in Oz are lacking.

I think a back 3 of JOC (James O'Connor)/Drew, Izzy, Speight would be pretty well balanced. Or even JOC (James O'Connor), Izzy, Drew.... pretty much solves our perceived lack of kickers in the back 3 for a certain opposition/game plan. Certainly a good problem to have.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What also works in his favour is that no wingers are really putting their hand up this year.

Form winger has been Sefa Naivalu, who is ineligible. Quite a gap to the next player, sadly.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Mitchell was a very elusive runner before Higginbum maimed him. Good to see him getting back to something like his old form.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
What also works in his favour is that no wingers are really putting their hand up this year.

Form winger has been Sefa Naivalu, who is ineligible. Quite a gap to the next player, sadly.
Extraordinary rise he's had. Dewar Shield, NRC, Rebels, Wallaby? I think he'll make a better centre than wing, but we've got a while to learn that.

From last night I thought Jones and Timani had outstanding games. McMahon had a top 30 minutes before his injury, and Jordy Reid was probably MotM. Unfortunately for him we've got about 80 other opensides playing well. Stirzaker is the second best scrumhalf in Australia at the moment, on form anyway.

As for Mitchell, that was jokeshop defence. The sort of stuff that used to get the Soup called basketball rugby. He's taken it well, but he's not going to get that against the big boys.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought Timani was industrious, but Jones looked a little bit light. The question mark over both is their physicality. Think Lopeti might be a bit better placed to offer that.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I call bullshit on people saying the try was due to poor defence. Before Drew was injured he was one of the quickest, most powerful(acceleration) and best balanced runners/wingers in world rugby. He showed all of that plus some great lines, against one of the best club teams in the world, for that try.

Watch the front on version of the try. What made it was his acceleration, spatial awareness, pace and step. No one got more than a hand on him. It's an indication of good attack when the defenders can't get close enough to affect the tackle. Give credit where credit is due.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also another interesting lineout tidbit- where the 'non-jumper' Skelton has taken 15 lineouts before this week, Timani has taken....... zero. That has to be concerning.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Also another interesting lineout tidbit- where the 'non-jumper' Skelton has taken 15 lineouts before this week, Timani has taken... zero. That has to be concerning.

No real need at the Rebels. McMahon, Jones, and Higgers all get up seriously quickly and have good hands. He won't get on the plane, he's too limited at the moment, but he's an interesting player to keep an eye on moving forward.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought Timani was industrious, but Jones looked a little bit light. The question mark over both is their physicality. Think Lopeti might be a bit better placed to offer that.

Sorry, how is the question mark over Lopeti his physicality? If you'd said his workrate or general rugby nous I would have probably nodded along.

Jones does play light, and it's the biggest knock on him. He needs to be paired with a physical lock like Skelton for mine. A Jones - Carter/Simmons combo would get us nowhere. I think he's done enough to get into the squad, but where he ends up I'm not quite sure.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Impressive run to score a nice try BUT, I don't think test teams would fall off so many tackles. AND, it was only one try, would like to see how Mitchell goes up against Super quality backs week in week out.

Doubt if TGC will be entranced one good run, I can't see Mitchell in the Oz RWC squad.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cheika said in the post match Brumbies v Tahs press conference something like "it's not in my interest to close the door on anyone at this stage".

I would assume that also applies to the blokes made eligible by the recent rule change, not just the current Super Rugby players.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I like the idea of bringing both Mitchell and Giteau in, even if only for the fact that you're bringing in two players that have had a lot of success in recent years playing in Europe, and would add a lot of experience and insight to the test squad. However, with Mitchell I struggle to see how we can fit him in the squad. You only have to look at how dominant JOC (James O'Connor) looked in France compared to how he's fared in Super Rugby to see that there is a false economy. I wouldn't select him ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) or Speight. If he's in my squad it's at Horne's expense. Not sure I couldn't justify that. He does have a superior kicking game though

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Mitchell and Giteau both kick with their left feet. Assuming Mogg will not make it that gives them both string to their bow that others don't have. If Mitchell really is back to somewhere close to his best it would be great to have a left winger who can kick with his left foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Back line.

Phipps
Foley
JOC (James O'Connor)
Gits (or tamooa)
Kurindrani
Speight
Izzy

Subs
Stirzacker
Beale
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne

Forwards

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
Cottrell
Hooper
Mcalman

Subs
Cowan
?
Tpn
Coleman
Pocock

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
You only have to look at how dominant JOC (James O'Connor) looked in France compared to how he's fared in Super Rugby to see that there is a false economy.

In all fairness to O'Connor, as a winger, he's at the mercy of other guys getting him the ball. If the Reds had Quade or Lucas running the show instead of Frisby, it would be an easier comparison, but it's pretty difficult to gauge when the bloke has had limited opportunities to get involved in the game this season.

It's a good problem to have. Australia is never going to lose a world cup because our wingers weren't good enough.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fitting Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, JOC (James O'Connor), Horne into 2 will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.