• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I also found to quite interesting that Laurie dispelled this notion of there being an “Australian way” of playing rugby.

Sounds like he be a perfect fit from a part time perspective in the Wallabies as it’ll allow him to keep working with the Brumbies full time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just a question on his comments though - didn’t Cheika/RA try and get buy in from everybody on taking a common approach to
game style/set price with a view providing a more stream-lined, top-to-bottom structure and got push-back/refusal from the super rugby teams on the basis they didn’t want to share IP?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just a question on his comments though - didn’t Cheika/RA try and get buy in from everybody on taking a common approach to
game style/set price with a view providing a more stream-lined, top-to-bottom structure and got push-back/refusal from the super rugby teams on the basis they didn’t want to share IP?

I heard that happened too. Not sure if true or not. Seems a bit silly, as the best player to make the wallabies are going to share their skills anyway.

For example the wallabies improved maul and scrum a direct relation to the Brumbies strength, I recall a post-match press conference a player (i forget which one) stated the Brumbies players showed them tips to improve the maul.

They are just gunna go back to their super xv teams and share that knowledge anyway, so the knowledge share will happen anyway naturally.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I understand what you are saying Seb V - and I’m sure that occurs to an extent, but I assume the point Fisher is making is it isn’t translating to getting the best outcomes. It would seem that provincial coaches aren’t on the same page. Now there is an upside to this in when provincial coaches take best-practice and innovate. There would also be a level of pragmatism too with coaches having to work with the cattle they have.

But, to use your example - clearly neither the Reds nor the Wallabies are paying sufficient attention because their driving mauls sucked. I have seen comments to the effect that bringing Fainga’a in would help with this as he is much better at the back of the driving mail. But surely the goal of the Wallabies (and Reds) should be to bring everyone up to that standard. Clearly the IP is there - within the Wallabies squad with Ala'alatoa, Sio, Arnold, Pocock & Slipper all being in the match day squad. But the outcome wasn’t.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes, petty provincial squabbles have long been a challenge for Australian rugby.

Seems like the Super franchises are all going to be without a competition soon, though. So we might be looking elsewhere for player development regardless.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, petty provincial squabbles have long been a challenge for Australian rugby.

Seems like the Super franchises are all going to be without a competition soon, though. So we might be looking elsewhere for player development regardless.

Since when? What have you heard?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno. I see a shake up of some form as being virtually inevitable. I’m not sure the outcome of that will necessarily be horrific.

I have lots of friends/relatives who are league aligned. They love giving me stick about the state of the game in Australia - and there are plenty of elements of truth in what they say.

But I love to remind them that globally rugby has never been stronger and there are plenty of great things happening in Australian rugby too. This is not to understate the fundamental flaws holding the game back in Australia - but I think there is plenty to be upbeat about. I can actually see plenty of upside if Super Rugby were to come to an end, and I still love it as a comp, despite the performance of the Reds.

Edit: although this does of course depend on what replaces it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Laurie seems decent but i have to say - the Fijian bloke we got in has done a fairly decent job. We certainly didn't lose because of our set piece.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have wondered lately if Laurie would be put to better use imparting his wisdom on our juniors, getting the skill sets of our young forwards up to scratch before they hit Super Rugby?

Otherwise, yes.... I would love to see him involved in the Wallabies.

That would be great - although I think there would be scope there to include that in his duties as senior coach (not to downplay the time demands of that role).

I’d really like to see his expertise rolled out via coaching forums and coaching development pathways so that more coaches at junior level can get the benefit of his expertise and insight.

I know it’ll never be as good as getting the info direct from the source, but the flip side is Lord Laurie is only 1 man and can only cover so much ground.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
That would be great - although I think there would be scope there to include that in his duties as senior coach (not to downplay the time demands of that role).

I’d really like to see his expertise rolled out via coaching forums and coaching development pathways so that more coaches at junior level can get the benefit of his expertise and insight.

I know it’ll never be as good as getting the info direct from the source, but the flip side is Lord Laurie is only 1 man and can only cover so much ground.

He mentioned in the podcast he thinks he could successfully be a super xv coach and wallabies assistant as they are pretty much have 2 distinctive seasons and there is really only a need for the HC and 1 assistant to be full-time over the year.

So we could have Lord working with the juniors or super xv teams during the season then the wallabies at international time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So I hear Rassie is available next year too ;)

After the Sprinbok win, I think Jake Whites stocks should have risen too

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So I hear Rassie is available next year too ;)

After the Sprinbok win, I think Jake Whites stocks should have risen too
Rassie will be director of rugby again. He'll still be pretty hands on with the team i expect.