• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It might not be Mario. From recollection he turned a hopeless outfit into a scrummaging terror. It has fallen away since. I suspect other influences, perhaps a change in focus once the coaching team thought they had the scrum ticked off.

We did lose Holmes but thats about it. On the whole though Id say it just needs more vigilence in training.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It might not be Mario. From recollection he turned a hopeless outfit into a scrummaging terror. It has fallen away since. I suspect other influences, perhaps a change in focus once the coaching team thought they had the scrum ticked off.

We did lose Holmes but thats about it. On the whole though Id say it just needs more vigilence in training.

It is a continual process, I think the major challenge(s) has been the time it took settle on a locking pair; and then Coleman got wounded. But also Kepu wasn't starting in form (but was still our best THP), Sio has struggled all season, as has Slipper, and then we have a newbie THP reserve

Add to that our improvement was not in a vacuum, our competition is also improving and working on ways to counter what we do.

Was that the coaches fault?

Partly, but it would have been easier if the incumbents had stood up earlier, if at all

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....who has spent the last two seasons playing LH.

.....after playing THP for his school, clubs and Australian under 20s. After watching Allan A'a'a'a since he was, about, eight I think Lodesma may have got it right. It's the those dastardly Brumbies who've tried to turn him into a LHP, purely due to a shortage on that side.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
...after playing THP for his school, clubs and Australian under 20s. After watching Allan A'a'a'a since he was, about, eight I think Lodesma may have got it right. It's the those dastardly Brumbies who've tried to turn him into a LHP, purely due to a shortage on that side.

Also, once Keps winds up (and that's soonish) we could sure use a big mean ball runners in the middle channels. He fits the mould.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
again, who were the other THP options instead of him that would have been a marked improvement (he did pretty well)

I was simply reinforcing your point that Ledesma had his challenges this year.......... :p

The two best options were both newbies, and one of them has to be converted back to the other side.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
...after playing THP for his school, clubs and Australian under 20s. After watching Allan A'a'a'a since he was, about, eight I think Lodesma may have got it right. It's the those dastardly Brumbies who've tried to turn him into a LHP, purely due to a shortage on that side.

Lindo, just like Ledesma is right perhaps in turning one Tomas Robertson into a LHP after being used by the dastardly Tahs on the TH side? If Mario is right, then it doesn't say a lot for the coaching staff in either Super Rugby franchise.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lindo, just like Ledesma is right perhaps in turning one Tomas Robertson into a LHP after being used by the dastardly Tahs on the TH side? If Mario is right, then it doesn't say a lot for the coaching staff in either Super Rugby franchise.
Same thing happened with Slipper if we recall.

I think the switch isn't as big of a jump as many think it is, and different coaches desiring different body types to execute their systems. Nobody is 100% right or wrong.

Robertson did well at Tighthead, but his frame also looks a lot like Fat Cat's.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The same player who started to struggle when the new engagement sequence was introduced? Not saying it will effect Robertson but it might not help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Arnold is the big change of late this year. Wonder if, like his lineout, his scrummaging isn't quite up to standard yet.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The same player who started to struggle when the new engagement sequence was introduced? Not saying it will effect Robertson but it might not help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He did, but I think that was more to do with movement patterns and behaviours, plus the fact that he was just a bit older and was in an overall form slump.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lindo, just like Ledesma is right perhaps in turning one Tomas Robertson into a LHP.....

I was a mere back in my playing days. That's why I bow to those who're more knowledgeable than me in the dark arts of the front row, fatprop and Pfitzy fer starters. I suspect the instruction to trial both Allan A'a'a'a'a and Tom Robbo at LHP side came from on high, ie, TGC. Scrummaging-wise young Robertson looks like one of the best rookie THPs I've seen for a long time; his close-in work at ruck and maul isn't too shabby, either. But, I did say I was a back.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^^ As far as rookie THPs go, keep an eye on Tyrell Lomax. Younger than either of Allan A or Tomas, but does look to have a lot of potential. And of course, there's always Taniela Topou to come in also.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
I think he just happened to be 2-3 years younger than some other blokes. It happens.

great pick up for you guys, great kid, was the U20s player of the year for the Brumbies. His body shape is fantastic to watch at scrum time

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
great pick up for you guys, great kid, was the U20s player of the year for the Brumbies. His body shape is fantastic to watch at scrum time

Yeah, he was an NRC highlight for us.

I suspect his rise will coincide with us squeezing the last couple of good years from Weeks nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.