• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It sounds like your circles are exclusively in NSW so therein lies your problem. The coach is a NSW'men, who almost exclusively favours NSW'men in all 50/50 calls. (Hooper/Pocock, Mumm/Fardy, Foley/Cooper, Skelton/anyone, )

Most peoples criticism of The Roar centre around David Lord and Spiro Zavos, which is completely understandable. But I don't feed trolls, so I don't read them. The user-submissions are some of the highest quality amateur pieces I've had the pleasure of coming across.

If you're not reading article by Geoff Parkes (Allanthus), Nick Bishop, Diggercane, Harry Jones and Elisha Pearce, you're poorer for it.

The Roar has a larger reader and comment base than here. G&GR is a cess-pit to most people at The Roar too.
It's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, except one pots quite a bit bigger.

Hey Tip

I'll lend you my tin foil hat as long as you promise to return it (as I need it regualrly)
It's very hard to argue against NSW supporters - they are normally wearing boat shoes and sailing off the Heads on Monday Wednesday and Fridays. Saturday is for Polo and Sunday just a day of rest.:)

Lighten up guys

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hey Tip

I'll lend you my tin foil hat as long as you promise to return it (as I need it regualrly)
It's very hard to argue against NSW supporters - they are normally wearing boat shoes and sailing off the Heads on Monday Wednesday and Fridays. Saturday is for Polo and Sunday just a day of rest.:)

Lighten up guys
Thats my tin foil hat and boat shoes.. give them back

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's an improvement that we now have recognisable structure. Not perfectly implemented but getting better. It's an improvement that Larkham, Grey, Ledesma seem now to be having some success. Byrne is an undoubted improvement.

It's an improvement to start to establish names like Coleman, Karevi, DHP. For that matter Arnold, Hodge are an improvement, ditto Kuridrani's form.

But it has to be earned on the field and in the win/loss ratio. Hard to call 2016 an improvement whatever happens against England.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Report card is not good so far.

6 from 14

Can't wait to hear some spin that we are improving.

You haven't seen better rugby been played through the season?

We have lost to a bloody good pommy team, the ABs, the Boks away and the Ireland away.

Out of those the Boks away is the real let down IMHO because they are the pants

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's all about where you draw the line though.

We were better in the Rugby Championship than in the England series, then again in the Spring Tour when compared to the Rugby Championship. We also undoubtedly had 2016's toughest test schedule, literally. We played the ABs 3 times, England 4 times, and Ireland once.

You can always draw a line that supports your argument, but I'd rather talk about the trend line.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's all about where you draw the line though.

We were better in the Rugby Championship than in the England series, then again in the Spring Tour when compared to the Rugby Championship. We also undoubtedly had 2016's toughest test schedule, literally. We played the ABs 3 times, England 4 times, and Ireland once.

You can always draw a line that supports your argument, but I'd rather talk about the trend line.

And Cheika had his work cut out for him this year with all of our Super Rugby teams regressing, players heading overseas post-RWC, and having to blood several new starting players..........

I'm not at all surprised with this years results, but we have shown improvement, and will hopefully continue to improve next year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
And Cheika had his work cut out for him this year with all of our Super Rugby teams regressing, players heading overseas post-RWC, and having to blood several new starting players....

I'm not at all surprised with this years results, but we have shown improvement, and will hopefully continue to improve next year.

Great "spin" there Slim old mate.

I disagree with the improvement comment but wholeheartedly agree with the improvement one. But shit we have a long way to go.

Hopefully we will win the mid year tests but anything is possible

T

TOCC

You haven't seen better rugby been played through the season?

We have lost to a bloody good pommy team, the ABs, the Boks away and the Ireland away.

Out of those the Boks away is the real let down IMHO because they are the pants

Nah they're all a bloody let down, don't start settling for 5th best

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
We need to win this weekend. The England series at home set the Wallabies back a long way and New Zealand took full advantage of that. Losing to South Africa is the hardest one to take. They are a rabble this year and it shouldn't have been a contest.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Losing to South Africa is the hardest one to take. They are a rabble this year and it shouldn't have been a contest.
Our worst loss of the year,they are legally hopeless.
Don't mind being swept by both the kiwis & the poms.
But the Boks should currently be a human bye for any top 5 Test team.
Even at home,at altitude.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Really can see the beginnings of improvement in the playing structures. Some of the backline moves have had a touch of the breathtaking about them, even if many failed at the end.

But the biggest mark against the coaches and Cheika in particular imo was his decision to bring the overseas players back for the mid year tests. I firmly believe the current team would have made significantly more progress had the new players been brought in for the England tests and had the benefit of extra matches together before taking on the RC and EOYT. Genia was a success, but none of the others could say they contributed positively to the Wallabies' year and they just took up space and time from the coaches that would have been better spent with their replacements right from the start.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just being realistic, we aren't that good at the moment. We have flashes of potential, but that is all

The question is Whose fault is that ?

Chek has had the team for 2 years not 6 months. Sure he's brought in some new blokes, so what..

I still think we have the players to be number 2 in the world (striving for number 1)

It's all about taking responsibility isn't it.

PS: So glad for Chek that Mumm got off and can play this week:)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
where have these players that should have us at 2 in the world been playing all year?
We had one team in the semi's this year,but not based on merit.
Pretty much none of our franchises were competitive this year.
You can!t make a silk purse......

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
where have these players that should have us at 2 in the world been playing all year?
We had one team in the semi's this year,but not based on merit.
Pretty much none of our franchises were competitive this year.
You can!t make a silk purse..

But if the farmer feeds quality pigs shit or not much at all then the meat ain't so sweet and the ear will be made of hessian.

The real skill of a good or great coach is to lift his players to a higher level.

This bloke and his assistants have failed to do that (so far) and over an extended period of time.

It's funny how most people blame the players (and of course criticism should be directed there as well) but all the coaches need to man up.

Seems to me that finally Bernie has found his feet and doing a good job. Grey is pretty average, Mario L is plain shithouse (evidenced by the scrummaging ability of Australia overall) and most of all Chek is just average or based on results a wee bit below that.

I just want to see all the players (and mainly the coaches) take responsibility for the results to hand.

Nothing more, nothing less.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still think we have the players to be number 2 in the world (striving for number 1)

Whereas I don't believe that is where we could be at the moment.

Our tight five isn't equal to the ABs, Eng (or Ireland) at the moment

It is getting there, but at the moment it isn't and there are no messiahs not being selected

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Whereas I don't believe that is where we could be at the moment.

Our tight five isn't equal to the ABs, Eng (or Ireland) at the moment

It is getting there, but at the moment it isn't and there are no messiahs not being selected

Isn't that a Mario problem ? He's had the cattle IMO.

To me it shows a lack of ability to impart knowledge (depending on how much he actually has).

He has had control for 2 years and that's my point.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Isn't that a Mario problem ? He's had the cattle IMO.

To me it shows a lack of ability to impart knowledge (depending on how much he actually has).

He has had control for 2 years and that's my point.

there is also the talent being there and where they are in their growth

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
there is also the talent being there and where they are in their growth

It cannot ONLY be the players fault/ You only point to them and not even mildly critical of Mario L. That is the sort of stuff that amuses me.

Turn 'em into champions Mario. Two years is enough time for anybody. If the job's too big, move over and let another have a crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.