• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Badger gooooone, his Wallaby jersey should be gooooone also. That is fair but all the best to him after reading his letter in the other thread.
I think he will be back.

On his form this year and also wanting to replace a hard runner with another, I want McCabe to take that wing spot.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd probably play Cummins against the All Blacks in Sydney. You might as well let him have a farewell game, Tomane is only just returning to the squad

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'd probably play Cummins against the All Blacks in Sydney. You might as well let him have a farewell game, Tomane is only just returning to the squad
I don't think Link will do that.

And, unless there is a massive injury run, nor should he.

Good luck to the Badger. Good bloke and I'm a fan, but if he wants a "farewell" test he'll have to return. :)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Why shouldn't we play him? He's our strongest choice atm at 11 and is our best option against the Blacks. we have possibly our biggest match of 2014 coming up, NBoth teams of lengthy winning streaks, we need continuity. I reckon cummins would play a cracka too.

Normally i'd say players shouldnt get selected in this position but after reading the reasons why he is leaving, it's pretty clear that this is not about badger preferring the dollars to the jersey. In fact sounds like he would have preferred to stay.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just because his family is doing it tough doesn't mean he's doing anything more noble than others. Most players going overseas at his age are doing it for their families..

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Reward the players who stay. Don't waste the opportunity on a guy who is not part of that.

The exception would be if, through injuries or whatever, the position wasn't properly covered. That's not the case (at the moment). Cummins doesn't come close to owning that wing spot. He's only edged it, IMO. And I reckon now he'll be edged out.

If he comes back, great. I hope does return and contends for the spot again.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Just because his family is doing it tough doesn't mean he's doing anything more noble than others. Most players going overseas at his age are doing it for their families..

Link should choose Badger for the same reason he chose Timani on the EOYT last year. it makes sense.

i just wanna see us beat the all blacks. i couldnt give a fuck that he's leaving. im not saying keep selecting him for the rest of the year, but we might as well play the best team available. I'd be singing a different tune if Speight or JOC (James O'Connor) were eligible or even if Tomane had played for the Wobs at some stage in June. I'm not particularly attracted to the idea of Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as our wingers. I think we need a bit more pace on the fringes to challenge the blacks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the ARU is releasing him early to help him make more money then it makes sense to pick him for the Bledisloe if he's in the best 23. It's not like the Japanese season has started then.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I could be wrong but wasn't Timani selected because there was still conjecture if he was going overseas? His Montellier move wasn't a done deal and nearly fell through IIRC.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Link should choose Badger for the same reason he chose Timani on the EOYT last year. it makes sense.

i just wanna see us beat the all blacks. i couldnt give a fuck that he's leaving. im not saying keep selecting him for the rest of the year, but we might as well play the best team available. I'd be singing a different tune if Speight or JOC (James O'Connor) were eligible or even if Tomane had played for the Wobs at some stage in June. I'm not particularly attracted to the idea of Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as our wingers. I think we need a bit more pace on the fringes to challenge the blacks.
I'd put money on Horne being as quick or quicker then the badge..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Put Horne opposite Savea, he'll be in his face all game. High ball might be an issue however.
I rate Horne and he maybe the best we have... But the issue is when they can pick Savea and we can pick Horne..

That's where Speight or Izzy has an edge. Cos you pick them to dominate.. not to contain.. just like no one pick Horne over Savea but he can do a job..

Scotty

David Codey (61)
From what I understand, the Honey Badger is already going to be in Japan by the time the first game rolls around. No chance he'll be in the Wallaby squad.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Badger has played his hand - with the full knowledge that by doing so he would be forfeiting his Wallaby jersey for the RC and EOYT.

I honestly believe that he would have had trouble locking down a RWC run on spot - with Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Tomane.

Love the guy but it was his call. No different to Mowen

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Horne for sure for the first test, Savea needs containing and he's a big fucker.

Horne is quick, but has exceptional defence and is very aggressive about it. He won't hang back and let Savea build up steam, he'll be in his face before he catches it.

Folau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) complete the back three, and gives us excellent high ball/counter attack/experience.

Only weak link atm is 10. God I wish Lealiifano was in 2012 form, it'd be perfect. Imagine that backline running off how he was playing then.

I'm nursing a semi at the thought.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I imagine it'll be Tomane straight into the squad for Cummins, not sure who'll start but one of McCabe and Horne on the bench for their positional coverage. Wouldn't mind Turner getting a look in if he can stay fit for the last 2 games. He's been outstanding in attack and defence in every game he's played this year and offers more genuine pace then anyone else available. Still a big question though as to whether his body will hold up.

T

TOCC

The Wallabies are in trouble if they are picking players based on the opposition selections, a good team will set the terms and make the other team match them... You are already on the back-foot if you let the opposition dictate the terms at the selection table..

Let's just pick a team which suits the Wallabies game-plan and let the AB's pick a team which can match them.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Wallabies are in trouble if they are picking players based on the opposition selections, a good team will set the terms and make the other team match them. You are already on the back-foot if you let the opposition dictate the terms at the selection table..

Let's just pick a team which suits the Wallabies game-plan and let the AB's pick a team which can match them.

Ideally that's what you want, yes. Set your stall out and play your game. You do have to keep at least half an eye on the opposition though, especially as defence is generally half the game in an evenly matched contest.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't be picking Badge unless we have so many injuries that he's absolutely required. If you want to play for the Wallabies you must be playing in Australia -- no exceptions. I think we have to keep the integrity of our selection process intact and make it very clear to the players. None of this has anything to do with Nick's situation. I totally understand what he's done and the reasons for it, but after Super rugby has finished he's no longer a contracted player, it's that simple. If the stance of the ARU is to mean anything at all they must hold fast on that. I don't agree that winning one or a couple of games against the All Blacks justifies breaking the policy because it will cause more problems for Australian rugby down the track.

In terms of the other candidates, Horne and McCabe are the obvious choices. Speight can't become eligible soon enough with Badge leaving and hopefully Tomane is nearing readiness to come back. Just having that depth alone will help team performance. We want to maintain that competition for spots that Link has built in the last 12 months. The team will benefit from it long term.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I imagine it'll be Tomane straight into the squad for Cummins, not sure who'll start but one of McCabe and Horne on the bench for their positional coverage. Wouldn't mind Turner getting a look in if he can stay fit for the last 2 games. He's been outstanding in attack and defence in every game he's played this year and offers more genuine pace then anyone else available. Still a big question though as to whether his body will hold up.
Turner your kidding his struggling to get a gig at the Reds. English, Coleman, Horne, McCabe, Dom, Crawford ..

Status
Not open for further replies.