• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it is silly reading too much into Skelton's struggles at the lineout in the Tahs vs Reds game. He was given the job of calling the lineout for the first time ever which was highly experimental and clearly didn't work. The Tahs and the Wallabies aren't about to repeat that.

Through the rest of the season he quite logically hasn't been used much in the lineout and the Tahs have had a perfectly workable lineout for the majority of the season.

The Wallabies lineout suffered no ill effects when he played his one test.

The Wallabies lineout has functioned perfectly well with Simmons, Fardy and Palu as the three jumpers.

T

Train Without a Station

It just needs to be considered that with Horwill the line out is stronger. With Skelton it's weaker. Neither is a be all and end all.

Looking at a single game for any more insight is deceptive.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
While I would pick Carter, Simmons and horwill in my squad I believe that with Skelton and Palu you have one decent lineout option. It's not like they have never caught a lineout.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Difficult one there, daz, don't know if I agree with you. Those two blokes've looked good because they're in good teams, hard to put Inman in front of them.

D

daz

Difficult one there, daz, don't know if I agree with you. Those two blokes've looked good because they're in good teams, hard to put Inman in front of them.

Well, yes, that would be one decent reason.

But in all honesty, putting my rose-tinted-bias specs aside, I honestly cannot see anything in Kuridrani that makes him a better option to Mitch.

I think I can recall 2 games this year where I've thought Mitch really let himself down. He has been incredibly consistent in tackles, metres gained and general linking play. His work at the breakdown is top-notch (maybe a bit too good - I'd rather he backed off a bit for the quick ball).

Where does Mitch not quite get the Wallaby radar pinging? Tries scored.

It just proves that one man's opinion against 99.99% of the rugby public is occasionally right.

Fuck, you got me going again. I need to take deep breaths and a bit of zen meditation to centre myself.

:p

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We've potentially got massive depth in the backline next season. Should be huge competition for spots in the RWC squad.

Halfback: White, Phipps, Genia, Burgess
Fly half: Foley, Cooper, Beale, To'omua, Leali'ifano
Inside centre: To'omua, Leali'ifano, Beale, Hunt, Horne, McCabe
Outside centre: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kuridrani, Hunt
Wing: Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), Tomane, McCabe, Horne
Fullback: Folau, Beale, Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor)

... and that's not even including Mitch Inman! ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't mind me; it's just my annual crusade to get the boy a cap.

Mitch+Inman+Shute+Shield+Grand+Final+Randwick+W7ZJLmyFId-l.jpg

Grab your partners for the unfortunately never playing for the Wallabies waltz.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldnt be discussing JOC (James O'Connor) or Hunt in front of people who have actually played Rugby in Australia this year. This has been a very long term bug bear of mine, if we have a no overseas rule, enforce it in spirit as well as the letter of the rule.

The farce that was the selection of Elsom and Vickerman over performing players who had actually served Australian Rugby in that season still rankles with me, especially since neither ever lived up to the hype that heralded their selection based as it was on past glories and not on actual form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldnt be discussing JOC (James O'Connor) or Hunt in front of people who have actually played Rugby in Australia this year. This has been a very long term bug bear of mine, if we have a no overseas rule, enforce it in spirit as well as the letter of the rule.

The farce that was the selection of Elsom and Vickerman over performing players who had actually served Australian Rugby in that season still rankles with me, especially since neither ever lived up to the hype that heralded their selection based as it was on past glories and not on actual form.

I'll give you Elsom, but Vickerman was one of our best forwards in 2011 upon his return. His body was completely crocked but he absolutely delivered.

I was talking about 2015 and given the fact that Hunt and JOC (James O'Connor) will start the year in Australia playing Super Rugby just like everyone else, why can't they be discussed?

It's a completely different situation to Elsom and Vickerman coming in part way through the year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Out of Curiosity, what's the Wallabies scheduling outside the World Cup look like next season? Obviously there's no June Internationals, but do we have a full double round robin Rugby Championship? Is it a 3 Test Bledisloe, or just the 2? And how many Warm up Tests will they end up playing before the cup?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Out of Curiosity, what's the Wallabies scheduling outside the World Cup look like next season? Obviously there's no June Internationals, but do we have a full double round robin Rugby Championship? Is it a 3 Test Bledisloe, or just the 2? And how many Warm up Tests will they end up playing before the cup?

We'll have the Bledisoe sewn up after 2 - The third will be a dead rubber

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Backrow: Fardy, Hooper (c), Palu, Higginbotham, Hodgson, McCalman

Is anyone else seriously frustrated by Higgenbothams ability to meet his potential ??

Cliffy Palu has had his best year yet, he needs to repeat his off season to a t prior 2015. I really like Fardy, McCalman and Hodgson ; Tough, hard working but whilst Hooper is world Class and in current form Palu too I dont think these three are. Fair?unfair?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Super Rugby will go straight through with no break for June internationals.

I'm unsure what exactly they'll do in the Rugby Championship.

In 2011 we played a test against Samoa then 4 Tri Nations games (home and away against SA and NZ) before the RWC.

My guess is there'll be home and away against SA, NZ and Argentina and that will be it before the RWC. Certainly no third Bledisloe.

Status
Not open for further replies.