• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

manlyboy

Totally agree Lee! Don't understand why Newington enters the Waratah Shield if they are gonna send their 3rds to a quarter final! If they value the GPS Shield more-and why shouldn't they! - then it poses the question, why enter at all?

B

baldingwingforward

Totally agree Lee! Don't understand why Newington enters the Waratah Shield if they are gonna send their 3rds to a quarter final! If they value the GPS Shield more-and why shouldn't they! - then it poses the question, why enter at all?

Given that the best Newington can finish in the GPS this year is 3rd, and that is if they win both their remaining games against Kings and Joeys, which is no gaurantee, you would have thought that they would have put out their best side possible to try and salvage something from a disappointing season.

As others have said - why bother entering if you're not going to do it properly and try and win the tournament?

H

high tower

Lee,
can you tell us if the "3rd and 4ths" players from Newington call, was based on a program showing who played 3rd and 4ths last weekend or just the usual GPS line thay gets trotted out when they lose to a non GPS school.
I know there were reports pre game that said as much, many schools have started HSC trials so possibly it was a year 11 based team?

S

shinsplits

Congratulations to NBSC.

I have no idea which Newington side it was but they were very average but as Lee said they did have a go.

I guess it gives some of the New lower graders a game but I do wonder why New nominate to play at all.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Auggies v Endeavour this afternoon. Anyone got any info on the Endeavour side. i know Wessels and Caterson play there but any other info on the team. How do they match up to Hills?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee,
can you tell us if the "3rd and 4ths" players from Newington call, was based on a program showing who played 3rd and 4ths last weekend or just the usual GPS line thay gets trotted out when they lose to a non GPS school.
I know there were reports pre game that said as much, many schools have started HSC trials so possibly it was a year 11 based team?

It was based on info from a Newington teacher who told me all the names, which I wrote down, and who said they were 3rds and 4ths. Even before that, during the warm-up drills, it was obvious the two big props and other well known players, who I recognise, weren't playing. Even without thinking about names then you knew that it wasn't the Ones from their quality in doing the drills - and they didn't have Ones jerseys either.

They did OK though for 3rds and 4ths and did the school proud by playing to to their ability.

PS: I have just remembered that I had a list from the New v Joeys trial earlier in the year. From that list there was nobody from the Newington Ones playing yesterday, but there were two from the Twos. I have no idea what year these boys are in.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interesting situation for semis if Auggies make it - their semi is scheduled for 1.00pm kick-off at Camden. That morning the second english trial HSC is on at the school finishing at 12.00. Gives them an hour to get from Brookvale to Camden, get changed, warm up and then run on. Either the game will have to be deferred or delayed to a later time that day

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I imagine that both Auggies and NBSc are close to each other. So why go to Camben for a semi?
Surely there must be a ground available on Northern Beaches to play.

S

sulidoror

....END 0 AUG 35 at HT;..... GPS teams only wear 1st's jumpers in GPS comp games.....another way to look at it is the jumpers play 7 games a season, 6 since High became unavailable.....

T

the berries

Will HSHS finish on top again? Big questions needing bigger answers. What do the panel think? Who will be the game breakers? HSHS certainly are not the side from last season.

strapping

Stan Wickham (3)
just a quickly touching on newington playing a lower grade team, often and i know this was the case at my school while i was still there, coaches liked to mix up the team playign in waratah shield with potentials first graders of the next season give them some exposure some drive for the off season i no we once posted a under 16s team to play marist eastwood. i think it is fairly disrespectfull of the competetion and the wieght it holds with some of these bigger school in bigger comps.

T

the berries

I just can not understand why a coach would play an understrength team? Sure there are development issues with younger players stepping up but wheres the duty of care when you send lambs to the slaughter. There is absolutely no benefit to be gained by getting young blokes flogged. Especially when you line them up against sides like Hills. These kids are huge and fast. The only outcome is injury and loss of confidence. It is a no brainer.

strapping

Stan Wickham (3)
yeah i understand what your saying but it depends on how much of a development squad it is, when i was playing it was half development and half current. I played two years and thought it was good value made the semis and the next year got sat out because the coach deemed the game "easy" and then we lost that game so it has issues but in the end it hardly means much for alot of those playing and coaching. i thought it was a great comp and cant believe my old school doesnt even compete any more. Depending on newingtons view id have to agree with playing it as a development competition. Also it has always been my experience you get thrown in the deep end some sink some swim and its good for selection proccess even through my rugby playing colts and prem alot of players step up to the occasion even if it is a towling.

strapping

Stan Wickham (3)
also realistically what is the difference between a weak newington side and some of the weaker sides in the comp, i remember playign mater maria with a half strength side at school and still smashign them 70-0 or sometign along those lines!!

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If you are playing in a quarter final of the competition against a side that has had good results prior to that game then you are not playing a weak side - early in the comp yes but at quarter finals I don't think so. To play a weakened side in this game shows a total disrespect of the competition, its history and the side you are playing. Did Newington not expect to win the game even iif they played a full strength first XV?

development side = excuse if you get beaten by a school outside your elite association

Status
Not open for further replies.