• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Ok, found a page here on Schools Rugby Tribune that has the 2013 Shield Fixtures laid out (showing Waratah Cup winner and finalist entering the Shield in the quater finals, as pointed out earlier in this forum), but this page only has the 2012 results listed below it. Would be great to see the current 2013 results table . . . Any chance Schools Rugby Tribune?

Old Joker

Bob McCowan (2)
Knox to play Marist ACT in Round 3 then.

Round 2 Games by 19 July are then:
St Augustines vs Daramalan
Winner( Farrer Ag vs Prariewood High) vs Winner (Westfield Sports vs Kinross Wolaroi)

St Patricks vs Marist ACT
St Stannies v Winner (Illawarra Sports v Knox Grammar)

St Edmunds vs Hills Sports
Endeavour Sports vs Oakhill
Any other Round 2 Results?
Farrer play Marist in the Quarters on August 6

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 1 Results
St Augustines v Bye
St Andrews vs Daramalan - Daramalan by Forfeit

Farrer Ag vs Prariewood High - Farrer Ag by Forfeit
Westfield Sports vs Kinross Wolaroi - Westfield Sports by Forfeit

St Patricks vs Homebush Boys High - St Pats won 48-12
Bye vs Marist ACT

St Stannies vs Bye
Illawarra Sports v Knox Grammar - Knox by Forfeit

Trinity Goulburn v St Edmunds - St Edmunds won 54 -3
Hills Sports vs Bye

Endeavour Sports vs Randwick Boys - Endeavour Sport by forfeit
The Bye vs Oakhill

Round 2 Results
St Augustines vs Daramalan - St Augustines won 70 - 8 (ish)
Waratah Cup Runner up free pass

Farrer Ag v Westfield Sports - Farrer Ag by Forfeit
St Patricks vs Marist ACT - Marist ACT won 32-27

St Stannies v Knox Grammar - Knox won by 31 - 7
St Edmunds vs Hills Sports - St Edmunds won by ?-?

Endeavour Sports vs Oakhill - Oakhill won by 24 - 5
Waratah Cup Winner free pass

Quarter Finals Draw to be played by 1 August
St Augustines vs Epping BHS (Cup Runner Up)
Marist ACT vs Farrar Ag
Winner of these two matches face off in Semi Final 1

Knox vs St Edmunds
Merewether HS (Cup Winner) vs Oakhill
Winner of these two matches face off in Semi Final 2

Round 1:
Games that could have been played: 12
Games decided by a Bye: 5
Games decided by a Forfeit: 5
Games decided by playing a game: 2

Round 2:
Games that could have been played: 6
Games decided by a Bye: 0
Games decided by a Forfeit: 1
Games decided by playing a game: 5

To the end of Round 2:
Games that could have been played: 18
Games decided by a Bye: 5
Games decided by a Forfeit: 6
Games decided by playing a game: 7

Edit: results updated from subsequent posts.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Waratah Cup Finals played today at Woollahra Oval:
Waratah Cup Winner: Merewether HS
Waratah Cup Runner-up: Epping Boys HS
Score: something like 19-23 (definitely 4 points difference)

So:
Waratah Shield
Quarter Finals Draw to be played by 1 August
St Augustines vs Epping Boys HS
Marist ACT vs Farrar Ag
Winner of these two matches face off in Semi Final 1

Knox vs St Edmunds
Merewether HS vs Oakhill
Winner of these two matches face off in Semi Final 2

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Waratah Cup Finals played today at Woollahra Oval:
Waratah Cup Winner: Merewether HS
Waratah Cup Runner-up: Epping Boys HS
Score: something like 19-23 (definitely 4 points difference)

Once again, the organisation and coordination of schoolboy rugby leaves a bit to be desired.

Here's what I heard today: In the Waratah Cup final, Epping Boys won their semi 30-something to nil, and then went straight into playing the final v Merewether with only a 5 minute break (Merewether had an hour or so break between semi and final). Only 20 minute halves, but that's still 80 minutes of football.

Then, they had to hightail it across town to T.G.Milner where they played their CHS Grand Final v Homebush Boys HS. I believe they were up 12-0 initially, and 12-12 at half time, but lost something like 29-12 in the end. I wonder why...? Some boys had to play 150 minutes of football between 11am - 4pm. Not good.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sideline Eye Not only is 150 minutes of footy not good, it is in breach of Rugby Laws.

The problem is that the Coaches either don't know about this Law, or will mark you and/or your boy as a trouble maker if you remind them of the Law, and their obligations and duty of care they have towards our boy.

source: http://www.qrrabrisbane.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/2013_ARU_U19_Law_Variations.pdf

Australian U19 Law Variations 2013 Law 5 states:

5.1Add: The maximum playing time for a team is to be 90 minutes in any one day, no matter what the games are called (trial, knockout, carnival or tournaments).
Comment
•This Law protects players from excessive playing time during carnivals and championships by preventing teams from engaging in numerous games on any one day.
•Individual players standing by as a replacement for another team may play more than 90 minutes on one day, so long as a proper duty of care is exercised by his or her coaches in relation to the position they play, the environmental conditions, the age group played, and common sense is exercised in regard to total playing time.
•It is expected that due care is taken by coaches with regards to replacement of players and that the amount of time a player has played should always be the coach’s over-riding consideration.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Sideline Eye Not only is 150 minutes of footy not good, it is in breach of Rugby Laws.

The problem is that the Coaches either don't know about this Law, or will mark you and/or your boy as a trouble maker if you remind them of the Law, and their obligations and duty of care they have towards our boy.

source: http://www.qrrabrisbane.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/2013_ARU_U19_Law_Variations.pdf

Australian U19 Law Variations 2013 Law 5 states:

5.1Add: The maximum playing time for a team is to be 90 minutes in any one day, no matter what the games are called (trial, knockout, carnival or tournaments).

Trouble is, I'm led to believe there was 'no choice'. I believe the coach tried like the devil to have the Waratah Cup final date changed, to no avail. I would think the GF was even harder to move. So, I presume the choice was play, or forfeit one or the other. Which would you miss - your school rugby grand final, or the grand final of the NSW Waratah Cup...?

I suspect the boys would not have wanted to ditch either competition, so had 'no choice'. Surely the organisers could have been more flexible. I have no issue with the coach here, rather, the tournament organisers who I'm sure would have been fully aware of the issue.

Thankfully, this doesn't happen very often these days, and those rules are usually adhered to. I'm guessing there will be some very sore lads out there tonight...

Reactions: ace

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Give them a big feed of steak and chips with ice cream to follow.

Send a note to school telling them that they will not be in until 3rd period, and they should be OK.

Year 11 boys are fairly resilient if they have a full belly and a sleep in.

Status
Not open for further replies.