• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Moses said:
Noddy said:
he had a problem on the drink though Eddo. Should have been cut years ago. Turning up to training drunk. Man handling protected wildlife.

Disgusting. Australian Rugby shouldn't put up with his type, right?
Not to mention his stealing beer from Irish backpackers. Appalling.

i've done that. good times.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Berrick Barnes claims 2009 HSBC Waratahs Strongman competition

» Back to News Listing

Thursday, 17 December 2009
NSWRU Media Unit
Berrick Barnes has made an immediate impact with the HSBC Waratahs by taking out the 2010 Strongman event.
2010 Stronman Berrick Barnes is presented with the trophy by 2009 victor, Damien Fitzpatrick.

2010 Stronman Berrick Barnes is presented with the trophy by 2009 victor, Damien Fitzpatrick.

2010 Stronman Berrick Barnes is presented with the trophy by 2009 victor, Damien Fitzpatrick. [2010 HSBC Waratahs Strongman; IBM Centre, Moore Park; 17/12/09]

The competition has been held on an annual basis over the last five Super Rugby pre-seasons, with each squad member measured over six different disciplines in the gym.

While Barnes was unable to compete in two disciplines due to his recovery from an ankle injury sustained on the 2009 Spring Tour, he finished in the top five across the remaining four elements to score victory.

Ben Seymour was the surprise runner-up after also scoring points in four exercises. The Manly flyhalf who is training with the Junior Waratahs, finished just 1.5 points behind Barnes.

Nemani Nadolo finished third after being the only player to finish first across two disciplines.

Barnes' Strongman attributes were typified by his victory in the chin-up contest where he set a new HSBC Waratahs record of 30. Amazingly, just minutes before Seymour had set the new mark at 27 before being quickly relegated to second.

Barnes also finished equal first in the Iron Cross with Luke Holmes who is training with the squad during the pre-season. Their 85 seconds on the discipline was the only performance not to break the existing record, with Ed Jenkins' 88 seconds from 2008 still holding strong.

Seymour claimed victory in the Farmer's Walk in 11.13 seconds, and in doing so annihilated Beau Robinson's record set twelve months ago.

Dan Palmer defended his victory in the bodyweight bench press, but added seven to his 2008 mark of 17.

The overhead log press, introduced for the first time last year, saw massive improvements with eight players going past 2009 Strongman Damien Fitzpatrick's mark of 45. Nadolo set the new benchmark at 61, while he beat his old record in the 2min row by more than 45m.

2010 HSBC WARATAHS STRONGMAN
1st Berrick Barnes 15pts
2nd Ben Seymour 13.5pts
3rd Nemani Nadolo 10pts

RESULTS BY DISCIPLINE (* denotes new record)
Bodyweight Bench Press
Dan Palmer 24*
Ben Seymour 20
Berrick Barnes 18
Brendan McKibbin 18
Sosene Anesi 17
Daniel Halangahu 17
Previous Record - Dan Palmer 17

Overhead Log Press (Forwards 50kg, Backs 40kg)
Nemani Nadolo 61*
Ofa Fainga'anuku 58
Berrick Barnes 53
Ed Jenkins 51
Ben Seymour 49
Damien Fitzpatrick 49
Previous Record - Damien Fitzpatrick 45

Farmer's Walk (Forwards 120kg, Backs 100kg)
Ben Seymour 11.13sec*
Jeremy Tilse 11.41sec
Rory Sidey 11.84sec
Sosene Anesi 11.85sec
Kane Douglas 11.87sec
Previous Record - Beau Robinson 11.78sec

Two-minute Row
Nemani Nadolo 760m*
Kane Douglas 714m
Hendrik Roodt 712m
Jeremy Tilse 710m
Paddy Ryan 703m
Previous Record - Nemani Nadolo 713m

Chin Ups
Berrick Barnes 30*
Ben Seymour 27
Brendan McKibbin 24
Phil Waugh 22
Ben Mowen 22
Previous Record - Timana Tahu 22

Iron Cross (7.5kg each hand)
Berrick Barnes 85sec
Luke Holmes 85sec
Phil Waugh 83sec
Ofa Fainga'anuku 83sec
Daniel Halangahu 81 sec
Record - Ed Jenkins 88sec (2008)

HONOUR ROLL
2005 Wycliff Palu
2006 Chris Siale
2007 Adam Freier
2008 Damien Fitzpatrick
2009 Berrick Barnes

Palmer appears to be rather strong, it is interesting to see the records just keep improving

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Freier's jersey fits me nicely: Fitzpatrick
JOSH RAKIC
December 18, 2009

"ADAM FREIER and I have a love-hate relationship. He's a great bloke, and I look up to him, but I want his jersey," said Waratahs young gun Damien Fitzpatrick, who has his sights set on superseding Wallabies Freier and Tatafu Polota-Nau to be starting hooker for the NSW franchise next year.

Unlucky to miss out on a Wallabies berth on the ill-fated spring tour early this year, 20-year-old Fitzpatrick is considered by many experts as the game's best up-and-coming hooker. And the St Joseph's product is determined to live up to the lofty expectations next year after being part of Robbie Deans's train-on squad.

"All three of our hookers have either played for the Wallabies or been involved with the Wallabies, so the fact at such a young age that Damien was considered by Robbie Deans a good enough talent to even join the Australian side is a great credit to him," said coach Chris Hickey, who first coached the Junior Wallabies skipper at Eastwood last year.

"Especially considering he only got his start late in the season when Adam was injured and he was in Tatafu's shadow. He's got two of the best hookers in the game to learn from, and his biggest advantage is his attitude and his age. He's only just turned 20. And how many 20-year-olds do you see playing Super 14 in the front row?"

Fitzpatrick will tell you speed is his point of difference. And with Freier out injured and Polota-Nau on holidays since the spring tour of Europe, he has had ample time to plead his case for national selection.

"Joining the Wallabies camp was a great experience," said Fitzpatrick, who like Deans, has New Zealand heritage. "Coming off the Tri-Nations disappointment, I think Robbie wanted to smash them a little bit, and that was the week where they really bashed each other up, and I was pretty sore after, but I've taken so much from it.

"Even to play Super 14 was unexpected, so to then get the Wallabies call-up and be in the squad and around those players was unreal. It's something I've brought back into this pre-season. It's a good confidence boost, too.

"Just to have the little bit of exposure gives you more confidence when you come back into the provincial level.

"Robbie gave me a few things to work on, like set piece and line-out throwing, but mainly he said he wanted to see me get more experience in Super 14.

"I want to keep my work around the field up. I'm known for speed, and that's the kind of thing I don't want to compromise by focusing on my set piece.

Fitzpatrick acknowledged the task of usurping the No.2 jumper from Freier and Polota-Nau wasn't a simple one, describing them as the best hookers in the game. But he has no qualms trying to replicate parts of their games - but only aspects that enhance his own flamboyant style of play.

"I've always looked up to those guys, especially Adam when I was at school," said Fitzpatrick, who only played four Super rugby games in his debut season.

"I know he'll be working his arse off to get his jersey back, but I'll be busting mine off to keep it. But at the same time he won't hold back to say something to me to help my game out. I'm learning a lot from both of them."

The Waratahs' attacking game is set to sizzle next year, with Fitzpatrick revealing the Waratahs had spent the past six weeks of training focused on attacking movements - something he hoped would complement his game.

"This whole six weeks have had a massive attacking focus for us. We've seen that we need to convert more of our line breaks, and for that the coach has had even tight forwards on an attacking focus," Fitzpatrick said.

"A lot of us have been catch-passing, running lines, and hopefully that can lead up to more tries in games and make it that bit more exciting."

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Noddy said:
little QLD backs winning Waratah strongman awards.

Laughable.
It is a joke he needed to come south to realise his potential! :fishing
It would be sobering to see a normal person try this "test". It is an interesting format, relying a lot on strength to weight ratio, so probably a good measure.
Pity Ratunemali Nasiyaninadolo can't translate that power to the field...maybe he should be remade as a Spies-style 8? Fark, that'd be scary!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
lets face it, berrick signs with nsw
1-becomes vice captain of his country
2-wins rupa award
3-wins superman award at the tahs
4-wins 2010 super 14 championship
the guy has achieved so much more without playing a game for nsw than the reds have been able to get out of him the last five years!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
let's face it, he did the first two because of his performances at the Reds.

He couldn't have done the 3rd at the Reds.

He hasn't done the 4th.

Nice try though.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Berrick only gained his leadership skills because of the lack of leaders at the reds.

Winning this competition means fuck all if the guy can't stay injury free in 2010. Who cares how strong he his stay on the park for three games in a row.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Noddy said:
let's face it, he did the first two because of his performances at the Reds.

He couldn't have done the 3rd at the Reds.

He hasn't done the 4th.

Nice try though.

he was signed to the tahs when he achieved all those things, so whatever he did at the reds means nothing!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
louie said:
Berrick only gained his leadership skills because of the lack of leaders at the reds.

Winning this competition means fuck all if the guy can't stay injury free in 2010. Who cares how strong he his stay on the park for three games in a row.

he actually won the competition with his injury, so alls not lost! (he couldnt compete in two of the things due to it!)

him staying injury free isnt the be all though, the way hangers and bele played in 10/12 on the south african tour last year means we already have cover should we need it.

im excited about mitchell and turner together, they have speed to burn and a great forward pack to run off. i wont mind if barnes just goes for the corners all day then we run in a few late trys, dont even care if we get the trys, just keeping our forwards on the front foot will lead to wins, i personally dont care if its ugly or not!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
2009 we did win enough ugly, i can think of three times a player dropped the ball with line in sight, turq, fitzpatrick and TPN were all guilty of not just falling over and scoring, that would have sent us through.

fact is, every game in 2009 we had the opportunity to score two or three more tries but the execution let us down, if we had run in half of those there would be no talk of ugly or boring, yet the gameplan would have been exactly the same.

S

straightshooter

Nothing wrong with winning UGLY - won plenty of them as a young fella normally late at night when intoxication reigned supreme but only woke up with a few.

Seriously win first at all costs ugly or not - winners put the bums on seats and the sponsership $$$$$$$$ flowing

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Was chatting to a bloke involved with the Tahs on the weekend over a beer or two.

Some interesting things he said were:
- The big saffa has been a huge disappointment thus far in terms of work ethic, training and general skills (hopefully this means he gets plenty of time on the field for Gordon...)
- I asked about Chris Alcock and he said he is struggling with the step up in training at the moment but that is understandable given its his first stint in a professional environment, currently behind Coridas for a bench spot.
- Brendon McKibben has suprised them on the upside, one of the fittest blokes in the team and has a very good skill set.
- Dan Palmer has taken a step up in his strength and conditioning this year and is looking good on the training paddock.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I remember Link saying it takes a couple of years for some players to get their core strength & fitness up.

The clubs will whinge and moan about squad players being flogged all year, but they need to be brought up to pro standards.

Randwick has continually whinged about Ratu being continually injured over the last two years.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
thatguy said:
Was chatting to a bloke involved with the Tahs on the weekend over a beer or two.

Some interesting things he said were:
- The big saffa has been a huge disappointment thus far in terms of work ethic, training and general skills (hopefully this means he gets plenty of time on the field for Gordon...)
- I asked about Chris Alcock and he said he is struggling with the step up in training at the moment but that is understandable given its his first stint in a professional environment, currently behind Coridas for a bench spot.
- Brendon McKibben has suprised them on the upside, one of the fittest blokes in the team and has a very good skill set.
- Dan Palmer has taken a step up in his strength and conditioning this year and is looking good on the training paddock.

Info like that is very welcome thatguy! Nice stuff

T

tranquility

brendon mckibbin as been a consistent standout in a dominant brothers side of the last couple of years in the brisbane comp. although he is not that young (24) he has a very complete game and also good size as he was a good back-rower before becoming a halfback. will not disappoint anyone

W

waratahs_2010

Chris Alcock was great for Gordon this year and I hope he gets a run next year although I think his year will be 2011.

I was suprised to see Ben Seymour's name in the Junior Waratahs squad. I rated him when he was in school but he never made any state representative teams, playing only for GPS 2nds as his highest honour. I think the Waratahs can really develop him although I would have signed Toby Browne before Ben Seymour.

I expect Tim Bennetts to have a very big year this year and maybe get a run in Super 14 if there are any injury woes. I also can't understand why Lachlan McCaffrey is not on at least a Rookie Contract, I think he is one hell of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.