• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
fatprop said:
Sounds like he has the right attitude

I dont know. They say a life outside rugby is as important as your training for a professional. You can immerse yourself in your work a little too much and lose the love of it.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
en_force_er said:
fatprop said:
Sounds like he has the right attitude

I dont know. They say a life outside rugby is as important as your training for a professional. You can immerse yourself in your work a little too much and lose the love of it.

guy just had a year off rugby altogether though, getting stuck in over chrissy cos you have put on 20 extra kilos is a good good thing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And he has to make the field to start getting paid the big bucks. I look forward to seeing the big unit in action.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I might have missed it in an earlier post, but what is the go with Rob Horne? Is he injured or will we see him in a trial?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
spectator said:
I might have missed it in an earlier post, but what is the go with Rob Horne? Is he injured or will we see him in a trial?

+ 1

& Ben Mowen

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
devestating news for Beau and his family. my thoughts go out to them.

SYDNEY rugby is in mourning following the tragic death of rising young Gordon player Dan Robinson in London.

Robinson - the brother of Waratahs flanker Beau - was killed when crossing electrified train lines unawares on Sunday evening, according to a report in The Daily Telegraph.

The 21-year-old former NSW academy member had been visiting his brother playing in Italy.

"It is such a tragedy to lose a beautiful young kid like Dan,'' Gordon's Dave Bezer said.

NSW will wear black armbands in their trial this Saturday in Orange.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
fatprop said:
spectator said:
+ 1

& Ben Mowen
and Phil Waugh... he wasn't exactly a Wallaby tourist, why can't he play?

That's terrible news for the Robinson family, such a tragedy.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Noddy said:
devestating news for Beau and his family. my thoughts go out to them.

SYDNEY rugby is in mourning following the tragic death of rising young Gordon player Dan Robinson in London.

Robinson - the brother of Waratahs flanker Beau - was killed when crossing electrified train lines unawares on Sunday evening, according to a report in The Daily Telegraph.

The 21-year-old former NSW academy member had been visiting his brother playing in Italy.

"It is such a tragedy to lose a beautiful young kid like Dan,'' Gordon's Dave Bezer said.

NSW will wear black armbands in their trial this Saturday in Orange.

I have known Robbo for the last 3 years through Gordon. Was absolutely shocked when I heard the news through the club. A real tragedy.

He was a great kid. A genuinely good bloke who not only was a good footy player but worked hard off the field at the club. He was one of the blokes that you just need in a footy club doing things behind the scene and helping out in any way. He got along with everyone and no one had a bad thing to say about him. Just a nice bloke to be around.

Playing wise he was a very good halfback and would have played more first grade the last few years if it wasn't for injuries. He was involved in the Waratahs academy the last 2 years. Not sure how far he could have gone but Super 14 definitely wasn't out of the question. I guess we'll never know now.

At 21 it was way too early. RIP Robbo.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
NSWRU Media Release said:
A host of returning Wallabies have been named in the HSBC Waratahs squad for Saturday’s pre-season fixture against the Fiji Warriors in Orange.

Twelve players with Test match experience have been selected in the starting XV, including off-season recruits Berrick Barnes and Drew Mitchell. Prop Benn Robinson is the only international to be rested for the second trial of the year.

Barnes has been named to start the match at flyhalf in the first appearance for his new team, with Kurtley Beale named at inside centre. Tom Carter will start the match at outside centre, with Mitchell, Lachie Turner and Sosene Anesi making up the back three. Luke Burgess has been named as starting scrumhalf after Josh Holmes and Brendan McKibbin shared the duties last week in Lismore.

The forward pack is headed by an all international front row of Sekope Kepu, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Al Baxter, and three more Test players in the back row: Dean Mumm, Phil Waugh and Wycliff Palu.

HSBC Junior Waratahs lock Kane Douglas will again start at lock after an impressive performance last week, and will be joined by former Leinster forward Cam Jowitt who dons the NSW colours for the first time.

Head Coach Chris Hickey has named a 14-man bench, and has stated his intention to use the next two matches to trial a number of different combinations.

“There’s definitely a lot of questions still to be answered in Orange and Canberra in regards to selection for the opening round of the competition,” said Hickey. “In most positions, the effectiveness of certain combinations will go hand in hand with individual performance of the players involved, so we need to make sure we test as many of those combinations as possible in match situations.”

Confirming his intention to see every player given their opportunity to push their claims, twelve of the fourteen players on the bench this week were starters in Lismore, with two more impressing from the bench against the Reds.

“After this match nearly every player will have started one of the first two trials and that will give us a good indication going into our final pre-season match against the Brumbies,” said Hickey. “Some of the players on the bench were our most impressive performers in Lismore, which is a sign of how competitive it will be to make the team in 2010.”

The HSBC Waratahs will wear black armbands and observe a minute’s silence prior to kick-off in memory of former Waratah Academy player Dan Robinson.

The squad travels to Orange on Friday ahead of Saturday’s trial at Wade Park before returning to Sydney on Sunday. Tickets are available at www.ticketek.com.

Pre-Season Match
HSBC WARATAHS V FIJI WARRIORS
Saturday 30 January 2010 (Kick-off 7:40pm AEST)
Wade Park, Orange

HSBC WARATAHS

15. Sosene Anesi (HSBC Waratahs)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood/HSBC Waratahs)
13. Tom Carter (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
12. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs/HSBC Waratahs)
11. Drew Mitchell (Balmain/HSBC Waratahs)
10. Berrick Barnes (HSBC Waratahs)
9. Luke Burgess (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly/HSBC Waratahs)
7. Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
6. Dean Mumm (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
5. Cam Jowitt (Manly/HSBC Waratahs)
4. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts/HSBC Junior Waratahs)
3. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs/HSBC Waratahs)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta/HSBC Waratahs)
1. Sekope Kepu (Randwick/HSBC Waratahs)
Reserves
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood/HSBC Waratahs)
17. Dan Palmer (Southern Districts/HSBC Waratahs)
18. Hendrik Roodt (Gordon/HSBC Waratahs)
19. Dave Dennis (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
20. Brendan KcKibbin (Eastern Suburbs/HSBC Junior Waratahs)
21. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
22. Alex Rokobaro (Sydney University/HSBC Junior Waratahs)
23. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
24. Locky McCaffrey (Eastwood/HSBC Junior Waratahs)
25. Chris Alcock (Gordon/HSBC Waratahs)
26. Josh Holmes (Warringah/HSBC Waratahs)
28. Nemani Nadolo (Manly/HSBC Waratahs)
29. Rory Sidey (West Harbour/HSBC Waratahs)
30. Peter Betham (Sydney University/Wider Training Group)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
from the last trial,

players backing up:

15. Sosene Anesi (HSBC Waratahs)
13. Tom Carter (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
4. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts/HSBC Junior Waratahs)
Reserves
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood/HSBC Waratahs)
17. Dan Palmer (Southern Districts/HSBC Waratahs)
18. Hendrik Roodt (Gordon/HSBC Waratahs)
19. Dave Dennis (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
20. Brendan KcKibbin (Eastern Suburbs/HSBC Junior Waratahs)
21. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
22. Alex Rokobaro (Sydney University/HSBC Junior Waratahs)
23. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University/HSBC Waratahs)
24. Locky McCaffrey (Eastwood/HSBC Junior Waratahs)
25. Chris Alcock (Gordon/HSBC Waratahs)
26. Josh Holmes (Warringah/HSBC Waratahs)
28. Nemani Nadolo (Manly/HSBC Waratahs)
29. Rory Sidey (West Harbour/HSBC Waratahs)
30. Peter Betham (Sydney University/Wider Training Group)

Those from the last trial, not playing:
- Luke Holmes
- Ofa Fainga'anuki
- Chris Thomson
- Ben Seymour
- Adam D'arcy
- Paddy Ryan
- Hugh Perrett
- Dylan Sigg
- Tom Azar
- Jacob Woodhouse

Meaning that McKibbin and Rokobaro are the only reserves from last week's trial to force their way into this team. 3 scrummies in the trial is unusual, I wonder if that might try Holmes elsewhere?

Still no Will Caldwell

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Betham started last week though. Mc and Rok are the only two who can on from the bench to get another go.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Betham started last week though. Mc and Rok are the only two who can on from the bench to get another go.

OK (memo to self. must learn to read)

Mowan may not be back from the knee op

Randwick will be missing flanker Ben Mowen who has undergone surgery on the knee injury he suffered in round 20, but have been boosted by the recent return of Brumbies Mark Chisholm, Stephen Hoiles, Patrick Phibbs, Francis Fainifo, Josh Valentine and Henry Vanderglas.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Reading of this large group of Tahs trying out for a contract in these trials reinforces the fact there are plenty of players for a fifth Super side. To think talented blokes like Peter Betham and Rory Sidey will get little game time this year augurs well for the Melbourne Rebels.

But are there enough Super teams for Superprop Tilse to get a run? I think not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Reading of this large group of Tahs trying out for a contract in these trials reinforces the fact there are plenty of players for a fifth Super side. To think talented blokes like Peter Betham and Rory Sidey will get little game time this year augurs well for the Melbourne Rebels.

"Rory Sidey" lets wait to see some evidence on him, the welsh supporters I know and trust were not crying when he left

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lindommer said:

Renegades 2nd Grade might need a prop if my ankle doesn't come good.

Status
Not open for further replies.