• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I think there'd be plenty of school grounds in excellent condition, especially at this time of year before they get too chopped up by the winter sports and weather. Just need someone to push it, obviously.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I guess there's a difference between visiting schools and having a fully fledged training session somewhere.

No one would be too happy if they had a training session on an average field somewhere and a player injured themselves because of it.

I can certainly expect the proper training sessions to be held in places with good facilities and unfortunately that probably limits it to mostly exclusive private schools.
Pleeeze.
They require an oval with good grass cover with an even surface.I can't think of an oval anywhere that doesn't meet that criteria ATM.
I hear the coffee is not nearly as good out west though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Things like this do nothing to dispel the impression that rugby is an elitist sport.

From Payto and Panda 8 March 2013:

Well let's face it, private schools have all the facilities the Tahs would need. Would a public school have a big enough gym room for them?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's a bloody good point! I retract that thought.

I have a solution. They can train at my old school. Has a brand new state of the art gym, manicured and well maintained fields and even a pool if they feel inclined. Perfect. To add to that, it also happens to be in Western Sydney.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I saw that and was disappointed. Go out to bloody Campbelltown or Penrith or even bloody Concord before Newington.

These areas/clubs don't have an influential benefactor who could help pull this off.

The Tahs have their second bye in mid April so it's a good chance to do some community engagement. The players could have a break early in the week after playing the Canes. On their return, they could split into groups and turn up to some junior rugby matches on the bye weekend Saturday morning before playing in the Shute Shield if they are given clearance. Otherwise, they could turn up to their club games and meet and greet the punters. Could also hand out some tickets to the Tahs vs Brumbies at Homebush in May as that place needs as many bums on seats as possible. To round off the weekend, they could have an open training run at the SFS on Sunday morning/early afternoon as there no events at the SFS. Naturally, they plug this the day before.

The June Test break would be a good opportunity to engage country NSW. The non Wallaby Tahs could be split into groups to visit various towns during a couple of the weeks. Maybe arrive mid to late week, help out with training, do some promos/fundraising, attend games on Saturday and raise the profile of the Tahs. The squad could go to one place like they did in Newcastle during the off season, but fewer places will be visited.

It didn't take me long to come up with this, so it may not be workable. But just some ideas to kick around.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have a solution. They can train at my old school. Has a brand new state of the art gym, manicured and well maintained fields and even a pool if they feel inclined. Perfect. To add to that, it also happens to be in Western Sydney.

When was Campbelltown (assume it is St Gregs you attended) in Western Sydney?

However you do make a good point. St Gregs has excellent facilities, and for Moore Park workers, it is very easy to get to - Turn Right at Southern Cross Drive/East Distributor and hit Cruse Control for 40 minutes. Take the Campbelltown exit. Left over the Bridge, then Left again in about 2km. While you are in cruse control southbound, check out all the Wage Slaves on the M5 heading towards the City at 20 km/hr.

A Tahs Training Session in Campbelltown would make a good statement about the inclusiveness of Rugby.

Edit: Turn LEFT at Southern Cross Drive. Right will take you deep into rugby Heartland, across the Bridge.

Left, Left and Left will get you to St Gregs from Moore Park Tahs HQ.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
When was Campbelltown (assume it is St Gregs you attended) in Western Sydney?

However you do make a good point. St Gregs has excellent facilities, and for Moore Park workers, it is very easy to get to - Turn Right at Southern Cross Drive/East Distributor and hit Cruse Control for 40 minutes. Take the Campbelltown exit. Left over the Bridge, then Left again in about 2km. While you are in cruse control southbound, check out all the Wage Slaves on the M5 heading towards the City at 20 km/hr.

A Tahs Training Session in Campbelltown would make a good statement about the inclusiveness of Rugby.

South West. Still technically in the West. And yes, I'm an St Greg's old boy. Actually, I'll be coaching one of their U13s (my kid brother's age group) Rugby teams this year.

Also, how did you come to guess I was talking about Gregs?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Campbelltown is part of what is known as Greater Western Sydney. Not sure if that's a sensible label, but there it is.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Anyone see how well Sarel Pretorius is playing for the Cheetahs against the Highlanders? Atrocious how we handled him.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How so? He clearly didn't fit in the Tahs set-up, and by the middle of the season Brendan McKibben was outplaying him. Sarel deserved his spot on the bench.

I don't think the Tahs did anything wrong in the way they 'handled him'.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
^ if you bring in a marque player who is SA Super Rugby player of the year you build your back line play around him and his strengths. He was killing it in the trials until Foley brought in his 'kick it to regain it' game plan.

He was pushed to the bench because Barnes was injured and McKibben could kick goals. Goal kicking was the only way the Tahs could score under M. Foley. 'Coincidentally' McKibben started getting more game time when he expressed interest in heading overseas and playing for Scotland.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
^ if you bring in a marque player who is SA Super Rugby player of the year you build your back line play around him and his strengths. He was killing it in the trials until Foley brought in his 'kick it to regain it' game plan.

Well I disagree with that. Why would we build our backline play around an uncapped Saffa? Why not the internationally capped Barnes, Mitchell or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

But ultimately you never build your whole attack around just one player.

He was pushed to the bench because Barnes was injured and McKibben could kick goals. Goal kicking was the only way the Tahs could score under M. Foley. 'Coincidentally' McKibben started getting more game time when he expressed interest in heading overseas and playing for Scotland.

That may be so but McKibben was also playing just as well as Sarel was. And alleging that they only put McKibben there to keep him in Aus is a bit much. Unfounded and a bit silly.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
That may be so but McKibben was also playing just as well as Sarel was. And alleging that they only put McKibben there to keep him in Aus is a bit much. Unfounded and a bit silly.
We'll have disagree on all those points then.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The Cheetahs play completely different to the Tahs. He didn't fit in.
So why recruit him? Why bring him over from SA when you're going to play a game plan that doesn't suit him? That's why I think the way the Tahs treated him was atrocious.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How were they suppose to know he can't adapt to different styles? They probably paid him a lot more than he was getting in SA to bring him over - what's the poor treatment about?

Pretorius has a shit pass which is bad for structured play which Aus teams play. The Cheetahs are very unstructured and thrive off broken play.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How were they suppose to know he can't adapt to different styles? They probably paid him a lot more than he was getting in SA to bring him over - what's the poor treatment about?

Pretorius has a shit pass which is bad for structured play which Aus teams play. The Cheetahs are very unstructured and thrive off broken play.
His pass looks better this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.