• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Team was still a rabble in 2011. Lost to France and got smashed by NZ. For the talent they had they did not perform anywhere near to standard.

It is worth remembering who was the coach and his "success" at coaching the side over his tenure.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Team was still a rabble in 2011. Lost to France and got smashed by NZ. For the talent they had they did not perform anywhere near to standard.

The forwards played well and held their own.

The backs, however, were not good. They selected two strong running centres who didn't know how to pass or draw a man. When they couldn't bust tackles there was no go forward nor was there a plan B.

In the French game we selected an ex flanker on the left wing and his opponent ran around him with embarrassing ease for 2 or 3 tries.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The forwards played well and held their own.

The backs, however, were not good. They selected two strong running centres who didn't know how to pass or draw a man. When they couldn't bust tackles there was no go forward nor was there a plan B.

In the French game we selected an ex flanker on the left wing and his opponent ran around him with embarrassing ease for 2 or 3 tries.

I assume you're talking about Dargaville, that was 2012.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
so just to be clear the 2011 team finished 3rd behind the undefeated NZ team and the 6 Nations winner from the same year. Not exactly a rabble like performance?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
so just to be clear the 2011 team finished 3rd behind the undefeated NZ team and the 6 Nations winner from the same year. Not exactly a rabble like performance?

Go look at the team lists, all of them have Super rugby contracts and are quite well at that level. We should've aimed for 1st with that squad in 2011.

Reactions: Ash

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Go look at the team lists, all of them have Super rugby contracts and are quite well at that level. We should've aimed for 1st with that squad in 2011.
I would expect the vast majority of Oz 20's players to get Super Rugby contracts.
That is the pathway,all the franchises shop off that list before they look elsewhere.
I think you will find that most of the poorly performed 20's squad from last year will also gain contracts.That is more a poor reflection on the recruitment practices of the franchises, than it is of Nucifora.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I would expect the vast majority of Oz 20's players to get Super Rugby contracts.
That is the pathway,all the franchises shop off that list before they look elsewhere.
I think you will find that most of the poorly performed 20's squad from last year will also gain contracts.That is more a poor reflection on the recruitment practices of the franchises, than it is of Nucifora.

But when these 'poor' recruits start producing the goods at super level you have to ask questions?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How many are in the 20's squad that toured?
The best dozen or so are pretty much unanimously considered the best of their age group.So you would expect them to have stellar careers moving forward.
It's really the mid week players that generate the most comment as to their suitability to represent at that level.
If all the dirt trackers go on to have successful Super Rugby careers, then your point is valid.
If the majority do not, then the selectors need to look at what they are doing.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anybody in a country where Super Rugby isn't broadcast?

This is from the Tahs Media unit:

HSBC Waratahs go global with live match streaming
HSBC Waratahs fans across the globe can now follow the team’s progress this season, thanks to a new 2013 Super Rugby online viewing service.

The new initiative from Super Rugby organisers, SANZAR, allows NSW fans in countries where there is no television broadcast agreement in place to watch all the HSBC Waratahs’ 2013 Super Rugby matches live via the internet.

The HSBC Waratahs’ opening two matches have already been watched by NSW fans in 18 countries with fans from Austria and Belgium to Turkey and the United Arab Emirates subscribing to the service to follow the new-look NSW team.

Trialled last year, the service proved very successful and has now been extended to cover 40 countries worldwide, including in Europe and South America. It is provided by PERFORM, who have one of the largest sports rights portfolios for over 200 sporting codes and last year delivered nearly 3 billion video streams to hundreds of millions of sports fans.

Users in the countries listed below can view the full pricing and packages available in that territory online athttp://www.superrugby.livesport.tv/. Please note that the information displayed on this page is territory specific so users visiting from geo-blocked territories, including Australia, will not be able to access this information.

The package will be available in the following countries:
Russia, Georgia, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Turkey, Croatia, Greece, Cyprus, Albania, Kosovo, Serbia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Switzerland, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Iceland, Brazil, Mexico, Panama, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, Venezuela, Bermuda, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, Barbados.
This service is not available in SANZAR’s three core territories (Australia, New Zealand and South Africa), or countries with broadcasting rights (Japan, UK, Argentina, USA, France, Italy, Canada, some of Asia).

Full information on the service is available here: http://www.superrugby.livesport.tv/about

Obviously it's not free of charge but it could satisfy an itch.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I saw that and was disappointed. Go out to bloody Campbelltown or Penrith or even bloody Concord before Newington.

The ironic thing is that they asked some promising Newington players to join in the practice session and two of them, Tepai Moeroa and Joey Lussick, are playing in the (rugby league) Toyota Cup on the weekend - or so I was told.

Tepai Moera (left foreground), 2012 Oz Schools big bopper centre v. NZ Schools, at Waratahs' training yesterday.

IMG_1913 - Copy.JPG

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The ironic thing is that they asked some promising Newington players to join in the practice session and two of them, Tepai Moeroa and Joey Lussick, are playing in the (rugby league) Toyota Cup on the weekend - or so I was told.

Tepai Moera (left foreground), 2012 Oz Schools big bopper centre v. NZ Schools, at Waratahs' training yesterday.

View attachment 3300

Ha. All a bit backwards, really.

It's great that they're getting out to schools, of course, I just hope this doesn't just extend to private ones where ex-Wallabies have kids.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess there's a difference between visiting schools and having a fully fledged training session somewhere.

No one would be too happy if they had a training session on an average field somewhere and a player injured themselves because of it.

I can certainly expect the proper training sessions to be held in places with good facilities and unfortunately that probably limits it to mostly exclusive private schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.