• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
He played 10, and was abysmal. He looks the goods now though.

Abysmal? Do tell. He certainly didn't stand out, but abysmal is a big call for a young player in a JWC.

I guess there were lots of dropped balls, missed tackles and passes into touch that somehow didn't make YouTube.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Here are the Stats for Fridays game
http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match21051.html

Hooper & Dennis did a shit load of work and Carter topped the tackle count with 19 effective, also worth noting is the amount of ball getting out wide. The backs are getting lots of carries

I would be surprised to see Barnes start on Saturday, I would start him off the bench

So if that is the case, does Volavola start at 15 and Kingston gets dropped? Assuming a 5/2 split and Barnes being a bench it means whoever is dropped (say Kingston) falls out of the squad.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
This is a bit of a left -field suggestion but bear with me- I htink the Waratahs should try and recruit Rene Ranger for next season. He would actually provide some penetration in the centres and is a good defender. I know we hardly need any outside backs but surely we could shed a couple of the fringe players to ensure the squad balances. The talk in NZ is that he'll be leaving the Blues, would he really be that costly?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This is a bit of a left -field suggestion but bear with me- I htink the Waratahs should try and recruit Rene Ranger for next season. He would actually provide some penetration in the centres and is a good defender. I know we hardly need any outside backs but surely we could shed a couple of the fringe players to ensure the squad balances. The talk in NZ is that he'll be leaving the Blues, would he really be that costly?

Yes, he would. He can go to France and make twice what he is worth here.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Abysmal? Do tell. He certainly didn't stand out, but abysmal is a big call for a young player in a JWC.

I guess there were lots of dropped balls, missed tackles and passes into touch that somehow didn't make YouTube.

I remember thinking that he was well out of his depth.

His passing was poor, often sailing over or behind his outside men. His kicking game fell apart under pressure too.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Palu's stats don't look too bad for 55mins, maybe his workrate was better than it appeared to the naked eye.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I would be surprised to see Barnes start on Saturday, I would start him off the bench.
So if that is the case, does Volavola start at 15 and Kingston gets dropped? Assuming a 5/2 split and Barnes being a bench it means whoever is dropped (say Kingston) falls out of the squad.

I agree that Barnes should come back from the bench. McKibben's kicking style does not look good but he only missed one from five, so we don't need a kicker. Barnes' knee looked poor just a week back, I think a gradual introduction is the way to go.

Mitchell did some good things and some bad things on Friday. He needs a flea in his ear to let him know that at this level consistency has to be a given. Kingston's early benching was tactical, not performance based and Betham hasn't had a run yet. Mitchell needs to know he is not undroppable.

Despite the fact that the forward battle will be ferocious this week, I would go with a 4:3 split to widen the options available in the backline. In the forwards, Lopeti's tackling stats were very high, 7 in 26 minutes, so we can get extra minutes from him if we need it. I would start with Ryan and Robinson, with Kepu on the bench as he has been very quiet this year. Ulugia and Sita to round out the four with Tilse dropping out to accomodate the 4:3.

I'd play: 11. Mitchell, 12. Carter, 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 14. Folau, 15. Volavola, with Lucas, Kingston and Barnes on the bench. Depending on how the game is going that gives us multiple options. Still not expecting to win this week but I think it will be close and defences will be difficult to breach. I think the Brumbies superior kicking game will get them home in Canberra.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They ain't going to do a 4/3 against the Brumbies, they may replace Tilse with McCutchen for a bit more mobility

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Here are the Stats for Fridays game
http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match21051.html

Hooper & Dennis did a shit load of work and Carter topped the tackle count with 19 effective, also worth noting is the amount of ball getting out wide. The backs are getting lots of carries

I would be surprised to see Barnes start on Saturday, I would start him off the bench

When reading the stats how do you work out how wide it's gone?
I kept on thinking it's only going 1 or 2 passes wide of the ruck, I was hoping for 3 plus to then create space with quick ball. Watching the NZ sides their outside backs recieve the ball and have space, which then opens opportunity to create angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.