• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I guess it comes down to how accurate the coaches want the info to be.

That depends on the extent to which coaches rely on statistics. I'm sure there is enormous variance across teams, but I'd guess that some of the European clubs are the most advanced. I would also say that most teams relying on third-party stats services do not take their statistical analysis seriously. If they did, they would probably do their own coding because they would have game plan or player specific focuses.

Rugby is a bit tricky with stats because the season is quite short, making sample sizes small and easily distorted by particular games or scenarios.

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
The problem with the Tahs is trust.

Cheika has a new game plan but the players constantly revert back to old ways under pressure. As soon as they push through the pain barrier - I think we'll see something similar to what the Brumbies have achieved over the last 2 years if they stick with it and Cheika has a chance to put his 'own' squad together.

On another note, couldn't they try a few simple things with Folau like:

- Get him to truck it up the middle as a crash ball option like Sailor & Tuqiri used to off set pieces. Even potentially as a dummy runner - he'll draw defenders all day long.
- Kick to Folau on the wing, using his incredible vertical leap from his glory days in the NRL

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ARU accidentally confirms Phipps signing for next two years.........

A technical glitch was supposedly responsible for the posting of confirmation by the Australian Rugby Union that Nick Phipps had signed with NSW for the next two seasons before the governing body and the Waratahs were ready to announce it.
In an embarrassing gaffe for the ARU, it posted a press release that trumpeted the Melbourne Rebels half-back would be staying in Australia and taking up a deal with the Waratahs for 2014 and 2015. It was removed from its website, although an inactive link could still be found, by using an internet search, late Tuesday afternoon.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If I were Cheika, I would be telling every single "student" to leave the ivory tower and go to play for struggling clubs like Penrith, Parramatta, and so on, and learn to put some grunt, steel, and willpower into their play. Somebody like Tom Carter might have ended up a decent player, if he had been forced to play for a weak club, and learnt to take some beatings, and learn how to overcome them, and even how to be a bit creative in attack. We need our players to learn how to get their hands dirty, how to fight back against the odds, how to bounce back from diversity.

I think you can assume that we are back to the 70s and 80s in terms of where Cheika is telling people to play their club rugby.
Hence Horwitz is going to Randwick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Okay, this is a bit of a rant, but it annoys the hell out of me.
The players in the Waratahs who have played the best so far are:
Robinson, Ryan, Douglas, Chapman, Hooper, Lucas, Volavola.

And the ones who have been let downs are:
Kepu, Timani, Dennis, McKibbin, Carter, Ashley-Cooper.

So, with that in mind, the line up involves four of the players in form and four of the let downs. And not just four of the let downs, but two of them AHEAD of those who are the best in the team: Timani ahead of Chapman, McKibbin ahead of Lucas. And I could understand McKibbin if Barnes wasn't back, but he is now. His poor passing and slow movement to the breakdown can no longer be excused by his ability to kick goals. Timani can hit hard when he wants to and is rather strong in the scrum but cannot jump in the lineout and generally stays behind play.

I just cannot understand their selections. It just confuses me to no end and I don't know how to explain it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Volavola had a poor game against the Brumbies including a couple of really poor decisions. His first two games off the bench were both excellent.

I have no issue with him being moved back to the bench and being used as an impact player. In my opinion that is the best use for him at this stage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm a little disappointed Horwitz hasn't gone to Eastern Suburbs.

You'd figure that Easts or Randwick would be the most logical for him though.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Volavola had a poor game against the Brumbies including a couple of really poor decisions. His first two games off the bench were both excellent.

I have no issue with him being moved back to the bench and being used as an impact player. In my opinion that is the best use for him at this stage.

Yes, his brain explosion that essentially gave the Brumbies a try was really bad. He's been almost too aggressive -- doesn't know yet when to pick his moments. That's less problematic against a tired defense, but can be exposed when everyone is fresh and firing.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Watching Rugby HQ, Drew Mitchell is a class act. Obviously doesn't agree with being dropped but he's taken it on the chin. Didn't call the environment toxic. Didn't disrespect the jersey. Didn't point the finger at others.
Backs his team mates Turner and Betham and talks them up.

He'll be back in the jersey in no time. The maturity he showed in the interview shows why he is an integral member of the team.

Nice one Drew. I'm sure this will act as a wake up call and he'll be back to his best soon.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Watching Rugby HQ, Drew Mitchell is a class act. Obviously doesn't agree with being dropped but he's taken it on the chin. Didn't call the environment toxic. Didn't disrespect the jersey. Didn't point the finger at others.
Backs his team mates Turner and Betham and talks them up.

He'll be back in the jersey in no time. The maturity he showed in the interview shows why he is an integral member of the team.

Nice one Drew. I'm sure this will act as a wake up call and he'll be back to his best soon.

It was interesting to see that it was his off field attitude/effort along with his "form", and that he has been talking to Cheika to work through what those expectations are

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Couldn't agree more, compare Drew's interview to how Copper and JOC (James O'Connor) got on last week, just a pure class act. Well done Drew Mitchell, we'll be seeing you back starting soon.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Couldn't agree more, compare Drew's interview to how Copper and JOC (James O'Connor) got on last week, just a pure class act. Well done Drew Mitchell, we'll be seeing you back starting soon.

Quade and James were just an embarrassment, too immature to handle a TV interview.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It was interesting to see that it was his off field attitude/effort along with his "form", and that he has been talking to Cheika to work through what those expectations are

Form is a funny thing isn't it. From my viewpoint at the game, I thought Drew was the only Tahs back who actually threatened the Brumbies' defence.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Form is a funny thing isn't it. From my viewpoint at the game, I thought Drew was the only Tahs back who actually threatened the Brumbies' defence.

Yes. He made a good run towards the left corner and then coughed the ball up in the tackle.

I really don't think Mitchell would have been dropped if there weren't players like Turner and Betham who deserved a go as well.

From the sounds of the interview on the Rugby Club last night, Cheika expects more out of Mitchell as a leader around the club but it certainly doesn't seem like he's really on the outer or anything.

Kingston really didn't do anything wrong either but others deserved a crack. Kingston obviously doesn't have Drew Mitchell's pedigree but he was just about the form outside back for the Tahs in the trials.

When the team is losing (particularly after the drubbing they received in Canberra), it is the correct decision to give guys a crack who haven't had an opportunity yet, especially as they are players that could really offer something).

It's not like Drew has been dropped and we're putting someone rubbish on the field in his place.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes. He made a good run towards the left corner and then coughed the ball up in the tackle.

I really don't think Mitchell would have been dropped if there weren't players like Turner and Betham who deserved a go as well.

From the sounds of the interview on the Rugby Club last night, Cheika expects more out of Mitchell as a leader around the club but it certainly doesn't seem like he's really on the outer or anything.

Kingston really didn't do anything wrong either but others deserved a crack. Kingston obviously doesn't have Drew Mitchell's pedigree but he was just about the form outside back for the Tahs in the trials.

When the team is losing (particularly after the drubbing they received in Canberra), it is the correct decision to give guys a crack who haven't had an opportunity yet, especially as they are players that could really offer something).

It's not like Drew has been dropped and we're putting someone rubbish on the field in his place.

Ever since I saw him play in the winning U20s (?) world cup, I have been a fan of Lachie Turner, but over the years he has not reached the heights of Drew Mitchell. Peter Betham had some time with the Brumbies but couldn't nail down a position. He looked good in the ITM but some (probably most) of those games were not up to S15 standard. I don't think there is any evidence that Peter would offer more than Drew.

By the way, if Drew was dropped for losing the ball after making the best break by a Tahs player in the game, then some more of those retained should also make way. And one more thing; Drew's kicking game will be sorely missed.

I must say that it bewilders me that so many changes have to be made to the team at this stage because there is a problem playing a new style of football. I expect the replacements will have even less success with the new game plan than those who have at least been playing it so far. Where's the coach's confidence in the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.