• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Canterbury are doing deal for "Buy one Tahs jersey, get one Half-Price" until end of March.

In-store only deal though.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I am throwing some thoughts and vague ramblings out there,but....

Looking at some of his play I am pondering if having Hooper in the side, the tahs could have a 5/2 bench. That said his catching and passing may not be the best, but it looks as though he could play in the centres at a stretch......

Also I am wondering what Drew Mitchell's passing skills are like....move him from the wing and closer. (Though his defence may be suspect).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Robinson 2. TPN 3. Ryan 4. Douglas 5. Timani 6. Dennis 7. Hooper 8. Palu 9. Lucas 10. Foley 11. Betham 12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 13. Horne 14. Mitchell 15. Folau 16. Ulugia 17. Kepu 18. Chapman 19. McCutcheon 20. McKibbin 21. Volavola 22. Turner

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am throwing some thoughts and vague ramblings out there,but..

Looking at some of his play I am pondering if having Hooper in the side, the tahs could have a 5/2 bench. That said his catching and passing may not be the best, but it looks as though he could play in the centres at a stretch..

Also I am wondering what Drew Mitchell's passing skills are like..move him from the wing and closer. (Though his defence may be suspect).
I think Turner may deserve a go in closer

P

Paradox

1. Robinson 2. TPN 3. Ryan 4. Douglas 5. Timani 6. Dennis 7. Hooper 8. Palu 9. Lucas 10. Foley 11. Betham 12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 13. Horne 14. Mitchell 15. Folau 16. Ulugia 17. Kepu 18. Chapman 19. McCutcheon 20. McKibbin 21. Volavola 22. Turner

Have the Tahs got any other locks around to put pressure on Timani?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Few notes on that squad:
  1. Dont know what is with the McKibben hate here. He had a sound game last night, and even if you think he isnt great, I dont think Lucas could have done a better job than he did last night.
  2. Spoke to TPN last night, will be another week on the sidelines at least.
  3. Did Horne play 12 last night when Berrick came off? Or did AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?
  4. Mitchell hasnt been all that better than Turner, Lach wont be dumped after 1.3 solid games

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I know that the Tahs have numerous problems, but here is my take on a few of them:-

Travelling to the SFS on a Friday evening is a bastard. I realise that, largely, the scheduling is up to Fox Sports and SANZAR, but WTF?

Do some players have the mindset to play by a different coach's rules?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
IMO, the problem with McKibbin is very specific, #1. His pass is so erratic that it frequently blunts the attack and leads to turnovers. Much of his game is fine, but his pass is rubbish -- it hooks, goes high, wide, etc.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A bit like those who say AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Tom Carter never pass
How many passes did AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) make last night?
I am struggling to remember seeing any.

He made a grand total of two the previous week, with one of those being a panic hospital pop pass.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I liked watching Cheika as a player - his take no prisoners approach during his time at Randwick was always entertaining and he should have earned higher rep honours. Regrettably he's yet to instill this same attitude in the Tah's forwards and I don't know that he's got the raw material to do it anyway. Mongrel is not a crown that sits easily on the most of the forwards heads - from last night's game Ryan, Hooper and Douglas wore it and Ulugia was next best. As for the others Timani doesn't understand the meaning of work rate, Robbo was OK but by no means as impressive as last week and consistency of performance is an issue, McCutcheon was a major disappointment at 8 and got smashed every time he carried the ball whilst Dennis, as good a player as he can be, is struggling as captain and is not leading by example in defence, attack and general follow me attitude.

Cheika has been quoted as saying that teams must firstly dominate in the forwards to earn the opportunity to go wide - got to say that I didn't see that last night other than for a short period of the second half when the forwards played a tighter and quicker game with repetitive pick and drives and short pass interchanges whilst all the time going forward. My pet hate with the way the Tahs play is the long flat pass from a ruck to a near stationary wide forward who ultimately gets absolutely smashed before getting anywhere near let alone over the advantage line. Ryan, Douglas and Hooper are the only forwards who understand the need to time your run in these circumstances and to run a reasonable line when doing so - they also have something that the other forwards lack - good footwork in tight.

As for the backs McKibben has suffered from not having a dominating pack in front of him and just shit lineout ball - but that said how hard is it to pass the ball in front of your 10 and other runners. I've been shouted down before but Folau should have 13 on his back. You can't play a non kicker at 15 and his propensity to break the line or stand in the tackle and offload is just wasted on the wing. Betham showed plenty of promise and will be better for his first start for the year. Jury's out for me on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Turner - I'd have Mitchell ahead of both of them as he reads the game so well, cleans up heaps, makes few errors and can kick with both feet. Not sure that Foley might be better suited at 15 - but who to play at 10 with Barnes continuing run of injuries? Probably the biggest issue backs wise is that we don't have any real match winners - there's no Beale, Mogg, Cooper, O'Connor, Tapuai or Lealiifano - yes they're not all perfect but they more than often deliver - who's our go to back?

Bottom line - not enough mongrel forwards and no match winner in the backs will consign the Tahs to another poor season. I expect Cheika will be undertaking a big cleanout come season's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.