• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Someone on the Rebels thread says they're close to signing Lopeti, Grey would make sense if that's the case but one would think Grey should go to the Rebels instead, isn't he from there?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tala Grey played Victorian Schoolboys back in his day. Not sure about the Opens but he was definately in the Under 16's for Vic.

Being an ex-Victorian Junior, it would be a romantic notion, that would ignore the realities of professional sport, to see him playing for the Rebels.

I saw him play a couple of times for the Beasts in Shute Shield in 2010. He came across then as useful but not a worldbeater, but he was quite young and may have developed an edge from his stint in France.

It would be an interesting test case. We seem to need to send our coaches overseas to prove themselves before they are "ready" for the next level.

Would Tala Grey be one of the first young'un who has had to go to an overseas "Finishing School" before being accepted as a decent player?

Will we see more of this happening in the future?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Never heard if him. Watching highlights he looks big, but I also see he played 7s (with Bernard foley and pat mccutcheon!)

Any one know any more?

good player, but was quite injury prone while being on the edge of Super squads, doesn't have tits for hands

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Never heard if him. Watching highlights he looks big, but I also see he played 7s (with Bernard foley and pat mccutcheon!)

Any one know any more?

Played for Easts in the Shield. Very athletic player if a little underweight for his position. However, having just watched his highlight reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUyE2in75zw) it appears he's put the time in to get himself physically ship shape. From the highlights, it appears that he'd be a good pick up.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Someone on the Rebels thread says they're close to signing Lopeti, Grey would make sense if that's the case but one would think Grey should go to the Rebels instead, isn't he from there?

I bloody hope not. With Palu not getting any younger we need someone who could develop into a similar role and Lopeti is certainly someone who could. I'd prefer to keep him and sign Gray. Bit greedy I know.

This could also explain why he has been playing SS for the past few weeks instead of featuring for the Tahs.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If there is one thing that the Bulls game has shown, you cannot win against an efficient lineout with multiple genuine jumpers with a single jumping lock and a slightly above average jumping 6. I for one am glad that Timani is leaving as the Tahs will be forced to look for options and may well be able to field a competitive lineout.

Personally I think Dennis is a good squad player and is good for backrow depth, but he is not a starting quality player. He struggles to dominate in his position and offers little in the way of combination with Hooper and Palu. Dennis is largely ineffectual.

I know the squad for 2014 is taking shape and is pretty close to settled now, I hope that there is room for at least a development spot for a jumping 6 and a lock.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We haven't seen anything of Skelton and bugger all of Holloway, who seem to be options for 2014 that Cheika is seriously contemplating.

Will they have the skillsets to address our lineout woes?

Last nights performance was well below par. Credit to the Bulls.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I remember the Crusaders trial, probably the 2nd best lineout side after the Bulls and the lineout was excellent that night. Even stole a couple. Puzzling why it all went to shit last night.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We clearly need a mobile, athletic lineout lock, running two TH locks was never going to be a long term option.

Reactions: BPC

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good to see Cam Crawford playing so well. Thought he would be the goods at the Brumbies but didn't get the opportunities I thought he should. In similar vein, Chris Tuatara Morrison is not getting any opportunities at the Force. He is a big, strong running centre with the ability to offload in traffic. IMO he will make a very good S15 player given the opportunity. He apparently turned down a chance to come to the Brumbies because he wants to stay attached to Norths rather than play in the John I Dent comp, so I would expect he would jump at a chance to sign with the Tahs. He deserves a go, and the Tahs could do a lot worse than him if he is available next year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tala Grey played Victorian Schoolboys back in his day. Not sure about the Opens but he was definately in the Under 16's for Vic.

Being an ex-Victorian Junior, it would be a romantic notion, that would ignore the realities of professional sport, to see him playing for the Rebels.

I saw him play a couple of times for the Beasts in Shute Shield in 2010. He came across then as useful but not a worldbeater, but he was quite young and may have developed an edge from his stint in France.

It would be an interesting test case. We seem to need to send our coaches overseas to prove themselves before they are "ready" for the next level.

Would Tala Grey be one of the first young'un who has had to go to an overseas "Finishing School" before being accepted as a decent player?

Will we see more of this happening in the future?
Ben Alexander.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What Tala Grey does have is good ball skills, we could assume that catching and passing may again become key requirements over being big.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Good to see Cam Crawford playing so well. Thought he would be the goods at the Brumbies but didn't get the opportunities I thought he should. In similar vein, Chris Tuatara Morrison is not getting any opportunities at the Force. He is a big, strong running centre with the ability to offload in traffic. IMO he will make a very good S15 player given the opportunity. He apparently turned down a chance to come to the Brumbies because he wants to stay attached to Norths rather than play in the John I Dent comp, so I would expect he would jump at a chance to sign with the Tahs. He deserves a go, and the Tahs could do a lot worse than him if he is available next year.

He's tied up at the Force for next season. If they're smart, they'll give him a run outside of Godwin as with his style of play he could free Godwin up a bit more. However, they won't and he'd be better of looking for a contract at the Tahs.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
We clearly need a mobile, athletic lineout lock, running two TH locks was never going to be a long term option.

Sorta begs the question why Chapman hasn't got more game time. Specially as he's a lineout technician.

Gnostic, what did Dave Dennis do to you? Pinch your beer or somesuch? Dennis has played well enough in Super Rugby to earn a deserved spot in a Wallabies squad last year. He's growing into his captain's clothes and is starting to lead from the front, especially when necessary. Sort of bloke every Super team needs.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
towards the end of the last few games its been dennis who has stood up> nothing flash> but taking hit ups- making meters and securing the ball> i think against the chiefs in the last minute he did like 3 in the last minute or so> thats what has really impressed me> that "a jobs gotta be done- im gunna make sure it gets done myself' attitude

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know there was talk a while ago about JOC (James O'Connor) wanting to leave the Rebels for the Brumbies but was refused due to the number of people competing for backline spots already. With the departure of Mitchell, Barnes and possibly Folau and others coming off contract is JOC (James O'Connor) a viable option? I personally think he'd go great guns under Cheika's hard-nose coaching plus it gives us a kicker that we desperately need.
Thoughts?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Has JOC (James O'Connor) not recently spoken about how he enjoys being a leader in the Rebels, lots of off field responsibility etc? Would he be able to have that here given AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne would be the more senior guys in terms of experience in the backline, and Dennis and Hooper are captain and VC and they are young blokes too. I'd love to see him come just don't think its a goer at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.