• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
good point. you are shedding a lot of backs.
i see jono coming to you as bench cover for 10, 12 and 15. not a bad move by him though surely he might've got more game time at the reds with morahan going and harris not seeing much game time?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Surely Folau is leaving and that's why they signed Lance.

maybe, but he is a good squad player - can catch and pass, kick and tackle.

We have been light on injuries this year and he is an upgrade on Tom Carter

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Like Lance. Been too long since we had a Jono in the squad.

And even Pfitzy is an upgrade on Tom Carter...

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Good utility signing, he will come in handy next season.

Hopefully we can nail down Izzy and nab Beale for next season, then the Tah hype machine will go into over drive! In case you haven't heard 2014 is the Tahs year

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Surely Folau is leaving and that's why they signed Lance.

That was my first thought too. Then I thought it was insurance against his leaving plus adding a quality squad member. I think the "Izzy is gone" signing will be Beale.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Mitchell, Barnes, turner and Carter replacement.
losing barnes and mitchell is going to free up a lot of space.
carter's salary will go to lance, part of mithcell's will go to folau and barnes' plus more of mitchell's to beale.
i will be pretty surprised if league can offer folau more than the aru and tahs can.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Folau ended up in the centres in the NRL just before he left, I think with his size he'd end up in the centres in rugby eventually as well. Utilise the offload ala SBW

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Please don't bring back beale. Let's pinch JOC (James O'Connor) instead. More versatile player, less prone to off-field discretion, less likely to have a shocker of a game, more likely to help put bums on seats.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We don't really need a 12 with Horne there, he's only proven at 15 and surely signed knowing he'd start since he was 1st choice at the Reds. This is why I think it's related to Folau

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
We don't really need a 12 with Horne there, he's only proven at 15 and surely signed knowing he'd start since he was 1st choice at the Reds. This is why I think it's related to Folau

I don't think it's as simple as all that mate. It was a very topical discussion in 2011 that he defends in the line, which he still does (and does it very very well).

He also was being developed as a 10 of all things and changed to fb later in the piece. I think they've always viewed him as a utility and 15 happens to be where they needed his skillset.

All over it en_force_er, and shouldn't you be en_rebel_er now?

It'd be a funny joke for the first week or two. Then people just wouldn't get it and I'd be the bloke with the wacky username.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Further more, fullbacks with a reasonable amount of Super rugby experience on your roster are Izzy, Foley, Barnes, Mitchell (remember that?), Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and Volavola. Plus Crawford is a fullback by trade.

Admittedly some aren't primarily fullbacks and some might go at the end of the season but that's still a lot of depth in 15.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mitchell is gone and likely Turner as well. Foley is the 10 and Volavola the back up 10, Kingston Crawford and Betham are the wingers so really the only fullback atm would be Folau, Barnes and Lance

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Horne hasn't re-signed but I doubt he will leave.

Lance has remained first at the Reds because they've had a few injuries to players like Morahan and Harris. Arguably Lance could have pushed ahead of them because he's been playing well and the Reds have been winning but I by no means think he's a guaranteed starter at the Reds.

There's a reasonable chance he was offered more money by the Tahs and that affected his decision as well.

I can't imagine Lance was given a rolled gold guarantee that he was likely to be a starting player in the Tahs 2014 team.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Mitchell is gone and likely Turner as well. Foley is the 10 and Volavola the back up 10, Kingston Crawford and Betham are the wingers so really the only fullback atm would be Folau, Barnes and Lance

But Volavola has been playing 15 almost exclusively.

Plus Crawford could easily play 15, it's a pretty common move for a guy to play his first Super season at wing then move to 13 or 15. Cheiks has showed a willingness to switch guys between wing and 15.

I think we can at least acknowledge there's some logic behind Lance as a 12 or at least a utility player who could end up in possies other than 15.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Herald seems to think he is cover for the loss of Barnes. Makes a bit of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.