• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) needs to consider all important factors before deciding where he will play for his next contract.

We all know that the hairdressers are better in Double Bay than Toorak.

This could tip the balance in favour of a move to the Tahs.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
In all seriousness, if he was looking at the Brumbies than he obviously doesn't see his leadership role in the Rebels as that big a factor. I think this is someone who we should actively pursue. In fact, here's my prediction. JOC (James O'Connor) joins the Tahs for 2014. I'll wager 1000 internet points.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) needs to consider all important factors before deciding where he will play for his next contract.

We all know that the hairdressers are better in Double Bay than Toorak.

This could tip the balance in favour of a move to the Tahs.

He ain't a 90 yro dowager, he would be more a darlo/bondi kind of guy

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well the darlo/bondi coiffure-ists are better than those in St Kilda, if he doesn't feel comfortable with the blue rinse set.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Sorta begs the question why Chapman hasn't got more game time. Specially as he's a lineout technician.

Gnostic, what did Dave Dennis do to you? Pinch your beer or somesuch? Dennis has played well enough in Super Rugby to earn a deserved spot in a Wallabies squad last year. He's growing into his captain's clothes and is starting to lead from the front, especially when necessary. Sort of bloke every Super team needs.

If you read what I posted you will see I said he is a good Super Squad player and provides needed depth. In your opinion and that of Deans (who I rate as highly as Julia) he deserved a Wallabies Squad spot, but then you and I have butted heads on that subject and others like the selections Vickerman and Elsom on many occasions. There were and are better options for the Wallabies.

I just do not rate him that highly, he is certainly no where in the same league as Higgenbotham or Mowen and I would rate Kimlin ahead of him. Perhaps his contribution would be better with a better balance in the pack, meaning a decent jumping lock in place of Timani.

There has also been plenty of comment also about how Hooper is struggling to have effect because of the lack of support he is getting from his backrow partners.

I too was wondering why Chapman was getting more game time but perhaps fitness/injury remains an issue. I also wonder if Chieka is forced into playing Timani from the start as he simply doesn't have the work rate to close out games and therefore isn't suitable to come on as a sub?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you read what I posted you will see I said he is a good Super Squad player and provides needed depth. In your opinion and that of Deans (who I rate as highly as Julia) he deserved a Wallabies Squad spot, but then you and I have butted heads on that subject and others like the selections Vickerman and Elsom on many occasions. There were and are better options for the Wallabies.

I just do not rate him that highly, he is certainly no where in the same league as Higgenbotham or Mowen and I would rate Kimlin ahead of him. Perhaps his contribution would be better with a better balance in the pack, meaning a decent jumping lock in place of Timani.

There has also been plenty of comment also about how Hooper is struggling to have effect because of the lack of support he is getting from his backrow partners.

I too was wondering why Chapman was getting more game time but perhaps fitness/injury remains an issue. I also wonder if Chieka is forced into playing Timani from the start as he simply doesn't have the work rate to close out games and therefore isn't suitable to come on as a sub?

I would agree that Dennis' form this year has been down on his 2011 and 2012 form but it is improving. He was excellent against the Chiefs and the Blues in clutch moments near the end of the games.

Saying he is not in the same league as Higginbotham and Mowen is riduculous though. His Super Rugby form last year was certainly better than Mowen's and as good or better than Higginbotham's.

You would notice that the vast majority of people aren't nominating him ahead of Higgers and Mowen this year and for good reason.

That doesn't change what happened last year though. You seem to be saying that he didn't deserve to play for the Wallabies in 2012 based on his form in 2013.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dennis fully deserved his Wallabies spot last year. Last year's selection was not based off 2013 you know. He was playing better than Higginbotham and Mowen then.

Show me one person that even suggested he play international rugby in 2013. One year doesn't make you a shit player. Fair to say he's been burden by the captaincy, some thrive, others don't but he's showing signs of improving.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
No I am saying what he I said last year. There were better options then. Go back and pull up my comments from 2012 if you like. I never supported his selection then or now, for the same reasons and it is your opinion QWERTY that he was playing better than Mowen and Higgers. Both those players have far more potential and IMO were the better performed. I seem to recall you in fact used the reasoning that Dennis should be selected as he had Test experience. So how does one get a chance to get that experience when he can't get selection even when playing better than the person selected in front of him and offering a skill set the pack sorely needed when Timani was to be played at lock. I fully expect that Mowen will again be overlooked because of this lack, despite playing far better, with consistency than Dennis.

I agree his last games have been an improvement, and that is more of the standard I expect from him, as I said twice in this thread, he is a good player, just not as good as the other options.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No I am saying what he I said last year. There were better options then. Go back and pull up my comments from 2012 if you like. I never supported his selection then or now, for the same reasons and it is your opinion QWERTY that he was playing better than Mowen and Higgers. Both those players have far more potential and IMO were the better performed. I seem to recall you in fact used the reasoning that Dennis should be selected as he had Test experience. So how does one get a chance to get that experience when he can't get selection even when playing better than the person selected in front of him and offering a skill set the pack sorely needed when Timani was to be played at lock. I fully expect that Mowen will again be overlooked because of this lack, despite playing far better, with consistency than Dennis.

I agree his last games have been an improvement, and that is more of the standard I expect from him, as I said twice in this thread, he is a good player, just not as good as the other options.

Last year I thought there was a bees dick between Mowen & Dennis - with Dennis a bit better ball in hand (he was more consistant at getting accorss the ad line), this year Mowen has stepped up and Dennis has struggled to make as much impact. I think that is changing, but that is another issue.

Higgers is the unit that has really impressed me lately, he has really tightened up his game

Reactions: BPC

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Last year I thought there was a bees dick between Mowen & Dennis - with Dennis a bit better ball in hand (he was more consistant at getting accorss the ad line), this year Mowen has stepped up and Dennis has struggled to make as much impact. I think that is changing, but that is another issue.

Higgers is the unit that has really impressed me lately, he has really tightened up his game

I think this is a factor of what a number of people always said about Higgers when he was at Qld, he is playing the game plan he is being asked to play.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This year? Never said anything of the sort. My 6 atm would be Mowen.

No last year when I argued that Mowen was a better selection than Dennis on the basis he had far better potential and the Wallabies needed a dominant lineout backrower. In any event we have had these arguments very often before and I do not expect you will change your view and I most certainly will not.

I did not however say at any stage that Dennis was a bad player. In fact I said quite the opposite.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No last year when I argued that Mowen was a better selection than Dennis on the basis he had far better potential and the Wallabies needed a dominant lineout backrower. In any event we have had these arguments very often before and I do not expect you will change your view and I most certainly will not.

I did not however say at any stage that Dennis was a bad player. In fact I said quite the opposite.
I think the argument for a lineout general is more critical with Sharpie gone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How could I have argued Dennis was a better option than Mowen due to Test experience last year? Dennis' debut was last year

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
How could I have argued Dennis was a better option than Mowen due to Test experience last year? Dennis' debut was last year

He had toured before. Anyway, as I said we have argued along these lines before and this goes around and around with no result.

I agree fully FP and that is another reason why I argued for Mowen last year, for that experience with Sharpe still there. It is less of an issue this year with Horwill back depending who is selected to lock alongside him, but my well known preference is for at least one dominant lineout player in the backrow, and as far as I am concerned in Australia at the moment the best three lineout backrowers are in order Mowen, Higgers and Kimlin.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Looks like we've agreed to disagree on this backrow conundrum, let's move on to more important matters. Like discussing next year's Tahs' playing roster.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Re chapman: my view is that the scrum struggled a bit when he partnered one of the other locks. With Douglas and timani the scrum is dominant.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Folau is leaving and that's why they signed Lance.

There are several articles floating around the place today saying they think and hope they can retain Folau.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. If the Tahs are losing Mitchell, Barnes, and you'd imagine Carter and Turner, there is space for backline recruits. I can't imagine Jono Lance was getting paid much more by the Reds than Tom Carter was getting at the Tahs. Surely both were on less than Lachie Turner.

Reactions: BPC
Status
Not open for further replies.