• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
^ The games against the Blues and Hurricanes are the only ones I can remember in recent times where the hooker wasn't replaced in the second half. After Holmes' game against the Brumbies, I can understand why Cheika kept Ulugia on.

Before Fitzpatrick was ruled out for the season, was Ulugia going to be considered only as a prop? Otherwise, the Tahs would have had four hookers in the 35 man squad.

Cyril Towers (30)
^ The games against the Blues and Hurricanes are the only ones I can remember in recent times where the hooker wasn't replaced in the second half. After Holmes' game against the Brumbies, I can understand why Cheika kept Ulugia on.

Before Fitzpatrick was ruled out for the season, was Ulugia going to be considered only as a prop? Otherwise, the Tahs would have had four hookers in the 35 man squad.
Holmes was brought in after Fitzy was ruled out for the year.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

Lets just get this straight;

John Ulugia is a hooker that can slot into the tight-head prop position when needed, having played as a tight-head through junior ranks. Injury to Kepu and Ryan would see Ulugia shift to prop however he has very little experience at the loose-head side e.g. Robinson and Tilse.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I actually think that Ulugia has done a pretty decent job playing hooker recently. For a 2nd or 3rd string player he is adequate and surely good value as well

I agree. I like Ulugia.

He's a big step down from TPN though. Hooker is such a crucial position and going from one of your better players to a second/third stringer is always going to hurt the team.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Holmes was brought in after Fitzy was ruled out for the year.

I don't think that is correct. Holmes was announced in the EPS and Fitzy was injured in the pre-season. There were 4 hookers in the original squad of 35. I think the Tahs wanted depth in this position due to TPN's injuries and the fact that Fitzy was still recovering from the previous serious injury.
Chapman was brought in to replace Fitzy (which brought a better balance to the squad after the final spot which was probably originally destined for a forward ended up going to Folau)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep Ulugia has done a good job when you factor him being a 3rd hooker. Not many better 3rd hookers around.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm not complaining about his performance. If that's what you get out of your third choice hooker, it's pretty good. But it's not good enough to be the regular starter and preferably not a backup when the starter is TPN (ie often injured).

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If both TPN and Fitz are on the way out as espected, the tahs will have to start giving fringe players from the U20's and Shute Shield a run. The season is already lost, might as well try a few young blokes.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think any NH internationals would come to the Tahs because they'd get less money and they'd be giving up any chance at playing in the 6 nations. Off the top of my head can't think of any quality hookers off contract at the end of this season in the NH that the Tahs should go after.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Charles. Meh. He's fine, but would be a downgrade. I was really keen on Hansen. I guess that Saia must be going, Ant too, otherwise why would he stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.