• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have been to Rugby at the SFS and ANZ. SFS shits all over ANZ for atmosphere and for the stadium itself.
I detest ANZ as a sporting arena and that is coming from the point of view that I got to spend four weeks at the place in 2000 including the opening and closing ceremonies for the Olympics. Basically the seating is uncomfortably steep on the upper levels and the shape of the place makes one feel remote to the action for a rectangular field game. The place was designed for athletics and it is hard to escape that IMO.

I like the SFS and Suncorp as the best Rugby venues I have been to. On my bucket list are games at Cardiff Arms park, Twickers and Lansdowne Rd, and I am sure that I will revist my preferences.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I could live with 1 or 2 somewhere else (Homebush isn't exactly regional) but defo not the big clashes - Reds and Brumbies - where you should expect decent crowds. The aim should be to pack the SFS and get some buzz going. Create an experience that fans will want to replicate.

Two/three good Tah matches and the French test at the SFS really could have got something rolling this year

Hair shirting ourselves while the buzz dies (or may have died by now) is not what's needed

Excluding the B&I Lions game in 2013, I reckon the best vibe in recent times was the Crusaders match in April 2012. Although the Tahs lost 33-37, the game was played on a sunny Sunday afternoon in front of 30,000+ people. Also probably the last time the Tahs had that many people for a Super Rugby match.

Last year, I thought the Chiefs (Fri night) and Blues (Sun pm) games also had a decent atmosphere. Also helped that the Tahs beat the front running Chiefs and the Blues with a last minute kick.

The Tahs vs Reds or Brumbies on a Sunday afternoon at the SFS would be an appealing proposition. However, I doubt Fox would allow that.

As much I hope to see the Tahs get to the final, watching the game out at Homebush isn't an enticing prospect.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Twickers and Millenium have the noise, but for watching - the smaller SFS and Suncorps win IMO. Stadio Flaminio in Rome (20k) even better!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well it's all hypothetical. I can't see the crowd number being much different to be honest. Assuming Mardi Gras wasn't on, it was still pissing down for most of the day which would deter some of the walk-in crowd.

I want to suggest to the Tahs that for 2015 they could request a Friday night game at the SFS on Mardi Gras weekend. Have the Sydney Convicts play a curtain-raiser or 7s at half time (or both) and promote the event as pride week or something and tie it in with Mardi Gras. There are a huge number of tourists in Sydney right now.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I've been to the Shark Tank in Durban and it's bloody fantastic. Far superior to the SFS. It's an ugly dump and there's no leg room, but you sit right on top of the action. It was a stellar experience (aided by $9 tickets in the best seats, jugs of beer and a knowledgable crowd).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I want to suggest to the Tahs that for 2015 they could request a Friday night game at the SFS on Mardi Gras weekend. Have the Sydney Convicts play a curtain-raiser or 7s at half time (or both) and promote the event as pride week or something and tie it in with Mardi Gras. There are a huge number of tourists in Sydney right now.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

As I said on Saturday night, I absolutely love this idea. Call it "Pride Night" and do a jersey auction for HIV/AIDS research.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
You wanna know what killed the vibe at the waratah games? Responsible service of alcohol laws. No cans = lines = sober = no yelling. As suggested on twitter to me an Otago style "zoo" is needed, with a blind eye turned to boozing. And dust off Saddle Rash!

The other end then needs to be the family end

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
You wanna know what killed the vibe at the waratah games? Responsible service of alcohol laws. No cans = lines = sober = no yelling. As suggested on twitter to me an Otago style "zoo" is needed, with a blind eye turned to boozing. And dust off Saddle Rash!

The other end then needs to be the family end

Hey, that was me on Twitter! Could work on the northern end with the bar. Have entertainment before, during and after the game. Realistically, it wouldn't be just about the rugby so it would also need the infamous SFS/SCG fun police to turn a blind eye to beach balls etc.

As Magners is now a major sponsor, perhaps they could come to the party and offer discounted cider.

Would $20 entry including a Magners and a pie work? $5 Magners for the rest of the evening. Sell it through student unions, O week etc.

Tahs admin could speak with the Highlanders about how they go the Zoo up and running to become what it is today.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Excluding the B&I Lions game in 2013, I reckon the best vibe in recent times was the Crusaders match in April 2012. Although the Tahs lost 33-37, the game was played on a sunny Sunday afternoon in front of 30,000+ people. Also probably the last time the Tahs had that many people for a Super Rugby match.

Last year, I thought the Chiefs (Fri night) and Blues (Sun pm) games also had a decent atmosphere. Also helped that the Tahs beat the front running Chiefs and the Blues with a last minute kick.

The Tahs vs Reds or Brumbies on a Sunday afternoon at the SFS would be an appealing proposition. However, I doubt Fox would allow that.

As much I hope to see the Tahs get to the final, watching the game out at Homebush isn't an enticing prospect.
What about the Walabies v Wales on that sunny arvo

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My opinion on the SFS:

Friday night games suck because transport is still in post-work-beers mode and its a fluffybunny to get to the ground.

Saturday night games are OK, but suck to get home from.

Sunday arvo games are good, but need to plan well ahead because wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.