• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Superb effort by the Waratahs' Media Unit. The lead-in to their report on last night's game:

"NSW Waratahs’ coach Michael Cheika admitted his side is not perfect but emphasised they won’t be giving up after suffering their first loss of the season."

Three games in, two wins by 22 and 27 points, then a loss by 5. And the main message they want to get out is that "they won't be giving up". Who wrote this? If it's an unpaid intern kid best to shift them onto filing or tidying up desks without making a fuss. But if it was written by someone claiming to be a journo, the first thing to do is to back check their credentials and then garbage bag them out of the joint; unless of course they would like to have a go at being CEO. That's a position that has needed filling at Driver Avenue for quite some time.

Bruce I don't think you should be quick to turf someone who has so clearly been with the Tahs for more than a year. The time it would take for another staff member to become conversant with the rich history and culture of NSW rugby could be better spent doing, well, other stuff.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I had actually hoped to see an improvement this year in the lineout with the advantage of having two locks that could jump. I mean even Wil Skelton can jump a bit.

A major flaw in the Tahs last year the lineout is proving a major weakness for them again. It is disappointing and I don't know if the solution is personnel or coaching, though I'd certainly say that Hoiles for Dennis couldn't make it worse and Hoiles gives more around the park.

I would also agree with other posters in saying that Ryan should be benched for Kepu. The Tahs scrum has been a source of strength for many years, yet with the advent of the new laws this has been blunted. Perhaps thought needs to be given to looking away from Robinson at LHP as well.

No time for panic buttons, it took a massive effort for the Brumbies to hold out the Tahs, but confidence in first phase possession is a must to be a true title contender.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A major flaw in the Tahs last year the lineout is proving a major weakness for them again. It is disappointing and I don't know if the solution is personnel or coaching, though I'd certainly say that Hoiles for Dennis couldn't make it worse and Hoiles gives more around the park.

The lineout was worst in the game Hoiles started.

I don't think our lineout did too badly against the Brumbies considering they have close to the best in the comp.

It was certainly an improvement over the effort against the Reds.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I don't think our lineout did too badly against the Brumbies considering they have close to the best in the comp.

Yes I agree with what you are saying regarding Hoiles and the lineout in what was his first starting game, but it has been far from secure in any game.

You can certainly see my point about the need for that security on the set pieces to truly be a title contender.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip> ....to truly be a title contender.
Hush up that talk.

We have all been here before (16 times).

Tahs become title contenders when the wheels are still on the Tahs Bandwagon at the end of July. All bets are off before then.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Hush up that talk.

We have all been here before (16 times).

Tahs become title contenders when the wheels are still on the Tahs Bandwagon at the end of July. All bets are off before then.
:)

Read my post with the other glasses on and I'm saying that they aren't contenders because of the doubt surrounding the set pieces.

That better?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Yeah we won 11 of 12 lineouts, and a few were scrappy but I don't think it was nearly as bad as the scrum. Against the Brumbies I think that's a pretty decent lineout effort.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
prod_19919.jpg

T

Train Without a Station

Consider though, that the Reds had just towelled up the Brumbies line out the week prior to that also. Probably more a reflection of the opposition line out than any drop in the strength of theirs.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
We've seen the poker face, has anybody seen his full time last Saturday face?

one game, and whilst the scoreboard did us favours - as boyo said Keep Calm and Carry On

deL

Stan Wickham (3)
Judging by comments here and in the news threads I seem to be the only one who thinks Douglas is doing very well and contributing a lot. Does anyone care to enlighten me?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Judging by comments here and in the news threads I seem to be the only one who thinks Douglas is doing very well and contributing a lot. Does anyone care to enlighten me?

I think Douglas has been good this season. Certainly having more impact than he did in the early rounds of 2013.

Reactions: deL

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes, his physicality is very good, hitting rucks ferociously and making dominant tackles however he needs to take some responsibility for the failing lineout.
Or is it the hooker putting it on the mark, the arc of the ball, the speed of the delivery, is the jumper coming forward or the jumper jumping back.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
The line out is always going to be hit and miss, with consistency being built over time with a dependable hooker and forwards who apply themselves to following the set patterns

I would think that these should be resolved or at least improved by mid season and if they aren't all factors should be assessed and stakeholders made accountable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The line out is always going to be hit and miss, with consistency being built over time with a dependable hooker and forwards who apply themselves to following the set patterns

I would think that these should be resolved or at least improved by mid season and if they aren't all factors should be assessed and stakeholders made accountable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is true, time will improve the precision.

Status
Not open for further replies.