• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Haha yes. Based on that logic we shouldn't lose a single current player.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Re: Beale

Kurtley has been offered an ARU contract which previously indicated that it wasn't up to scratch. If the Reds can afford to pay Hunt 650k a year from their own Salary cap, surely the Waratahs can throw in the extra 100k or two to make the offer more "suitable" to Kurtley.

If the Kurtley is lost to League, then the blame lies solely with the Tahs - not the ARU.
Maybe the Reds can throw 650 k at Kurtley and bring the triple threat to qld.. QC (Quade Cooper), KB (Kurtley Beale) to JOC (James O'Connor).. I'm sure RG has the coaching skills to keep them in line. Who needs hunt

Reactions: BPC

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mark Gerrard to the Tahs?

MOVES are afoot to lure former Wallaby winger Mark Gerrard to the Waratahs next year.

The plans are preliminary but Gerrard’s Japanese club Toyota Shokki would be happy to release him by February.

The idea is to get Gerrard on a supplementary contract like backrower Stephen Hoiles had this year, before he went on to a full-time contract and started in the grand final.

Gerrard, 31, has been in Japan for more than two years and played his last Test in 2011, but has been in good form in the Top League and has recently lost a stack of weight through his wife’s nutrition program.

Gerrard has close connections to the Waratahs; he is a cousin of Wycliff Palu and his sister Mo’onia Gerrard is the partner of captain Dave Dennis.

NSW coach Michael Cheika must weigh up the pros and cons of a possible return by Gerrard, who was with NSW from 2001-02. But Cheika has managed to reinvigorate a number of veterans who many thought were passed their best, including Hoiles, Matt Carraro and Mitchell Chapman.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting story.

The links are certainly strong, particularly through Dave Dennis.

Maybe Uncle Mark is keen to hang out with the upcoming Junior Denno?

I wonder if Gerrard's weight loss has given him a bit more speed or whether he's just able to run really slowly for a lot longer? :D

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There was nothing wrong with Gerrad during his stint with the Rebels, really solid boot and a good decision maker.

But that with a, frankly, better team and it could be great. Scary seeing as he likely won't be 1st string.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was nothing wrong with Gerrad during his stint with the Rebels, really solid boot and a good decision maker.

But that with a, frankly, better team and it could be great. Scary seeing as he likely won't be 1st string.

he got back in the Wallaby squad did he not? Played that memorable game v Samoa back in 2011, correct?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
he got back in the Wallaby squad did he not? Played that memorable game v Samoa back in 2011, correct?

Haha true. But that isolated incident hardly proves or disproves anything, firstly he didn't single handedly lose the game and secondly even if he did one test performance doesn't make him a bad super rugby player.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Surely there is a more deserving young winger from the Shute Shield/Aussie u20 squad that we'd be better served giving a contact to then wasting $ and a squad place on someone who is effectively an injury prone journeyman at this stage in his career?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Haha true. But that isolated incident hardly proves or disproves anything, firstly he didn't single handedly lose the game and secondly even if he did one test performance doesn't make him a bad super rugby player.

Oh I wasn't insinuating he was bad. I was suggesting that the fact that he could back into the Wallaby team (regardless of the result) was an indication of his form that year.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Surely there is a more deserving young winger from the Shute Shield/Aussie u20 squad that we'd be better served giving a contact to then wasting $ and a squad place on someone who is effectively an injury prone journeyman at this stage in his career?

They've already signed Kellaway, I believe. But I wouldn't be opposed to signing Gerrard. His kicks for touch for the Rebels were marvellous.
Now we just need a lineout which can take advantage of that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They've already signed Kellaway, I believe. But I wouldn't be opposed to signing Gerrard. His kicks for touch for the Rebels were marvellous.
Now we just need a lineout which can take advantage of that.

He was very good for the Brumbies and a real gentleman. Could be a like-for-like replacement for Crawford.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Re: Beale

Kurtley has been offered an ARU contract which previously indicated that it wasn't up to scratch. If the Reds can afford to pay Hunt 650k a year from their own Salary cap, surely the Waratahs can throw in the extra 100k or two to make the offer more "suitable" to Kurtley.

If the Kurtley is lost to League, then the blame lies solely with the Tahs - not the ARU.

If you're using the respective recruitment/retention predicaments of QLD and NSW at this time to support your argument about who's responsible for keeping Beale, then you're dreaming.
Qld are in re-build, clean out mode and NSW are struggling to retain a wealth of performing talent.
Qld could probably add LeBron James and Ronaldo to their roster before NSW could splash out an extra couple of $100K.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Volavola, despite missing relatively straight-forward penalties nails one from the sideline on fulltime in a thrilling finish for Southoes over Uni. Pakalani could well be back on the Tahs radar, not sure of his status though as he was previously an overseas development player - nor am I sure how the overseas player quote works in 2015 under the 32-man squads. Pakalani on show next Sat arvo at Concord, if he keeps dominating the midfield he might pressure Hodge and Volavola for a spot next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.