• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He is too good a player to not be starting somewhere.

The Rebels having Placid & Shepherd in a back three will add some solid threat

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck. Liked Crawford. Gave us options, but must not have been doing the business off-field.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Cheika's done an outstanding job these last 20 months reviving the Tahs, but, jeez, that was sloppy giving the mungo winger game time and leaving Crawford to cool his heels. Cam's the sort of player every Super squad needs, in fact he should be starting for the Tahs when he's fit and able. The last two seasons we've lost five wingers: Mitchell, Turner, Kingston, Alofa and now Crawford. Our depth isn't that great we can leak speedsters at this rate. There's every chance the Force or the Rebels could pinch Horne with the offer of playing centre, then where would we be?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This is going to happen though, when you have a star-studded roster who are performing well. The value of the star players rise, and you are at risk of fringe players (who you cannot afford to pay their proper market value) moving to clubs with more cash and less talent.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I have seen Cam play quite a few games this year.
At The Next Gen level,he did not impress at all.
At SS level, he was just OK.
He ran some good lines,made a couple of good tackles.
But he did not excel in any SS game I have seen.
IMO, there are several SS teams he could not make the run on team.
I think he has done well to get a gig.
Good luck to him,I hope he plays well there.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Crawford proved himself an effective finisher over 3-4 months in 2013, though post off-season shoulder surgery he failed to make the starting squad due to poor trial form and not standing out in the Gen Blue (second XV) side. I've seen no reports from Shute Shield suggesting he's carving it up either. Doom and gloom about his departure might be premature unless he regains that 2013 form in the NRC.

So that's Alofa and Crawford gone, with Horne, Hodge and Volavola all off-contract. Naiyaravoro comes in - I hope we keep Horne and bring on Kellaway which leaves us needing an outside back that can cover fullback in case Link pulls Folau next time he has a hair out of place. Hopefully we can rely on seeing some NRC form without the next generation of Tahs being poached interstate...

Based on Cheika's recruitment performances at Leinster and now in his short tenure at the Tahs - bringing in Jackpot, Phipps, Beale and Hoiles, and bringing on Skelton and to a lesser extent Latu while shedding under-performers such as Fitzpatrick, Holmes, Atkins, Hart, Barnes, Carter, Kingston and Turner - I have faith that he knows what he's doing and it'll be in the best interests of Waratahs supporters.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

If Crawford regains his 2013 form (remember this is his turn for second year syndrome) then the Tahs will seriously rue the day they pushed him out. He will go straight into 15 for the Rebels and I forecast that they'll forget they ever had a Woodward. He gives them a long boot from the back, a good runner from brokenfield, a good last line of defence and a player with a nose for the tryline.

Sadly, this was not Cheik's finest hour. Maybe the replacements will be better, but I really don't think that will be the case this time. Kingston I could live with, but this is a bridge too far.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm the reverse Hawko.
I didn't understand The Kingston decision,but 2nd season syndrome or not,it would be negligent to re sign him on the form he has displayed all year, in 3 different levels.
He should be dominating SS,and he is not.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm the reverse Hawko.
I didn't understand The Kingston decision,but 2nd season syndrome or not,it would be negligent to re sign him on the form he has displayed all year, in 3 different levels.
He should be dominating SS,and he is not.

Time will tell.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sadly, this was not Cheik's finest hour. Maybe the replacements will be better, but I really don't think that will be the case this time. Kingston I could live with, but this is a bridge too far.

Was Crawford as good as that? I remember him being a good finisher - in the right place at the right time to fall over the tryline with the ball under his arm - and acknowledge he can kick unlike most other of the Tahs back-3s, but in the context of losing Mitchell, Turner, Kingston in past 12 months, and Alofa to follow, this latest shedding isn't the big deal you're making out.

Crawford played about 8 good games in 2013, and has done SFA in 2014. Cheika has lost a full contract winger/fullback, and an EPS winger - and has brought in Naiyaravoro on a full contract. He has 3x full contract outside backs coming off contract of which only Rob Horne has provided any value in 2 years, so as long as we re-secure him we have two spots available to find a winger-cum-fullback to match what Crawford did provide for a limited period last year.

I get the impression Crawford is remembered by some as something far more than he ever was. I expect that Cheika would probably agree, otherwise he would've secured Crawford by now - I don't see him as having "not his finest hours" in the recruitment space, that'd be more related to wearing his heart on his sleeve publicly.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Sad to see him go, I have seen him a few times this year (watched the Norths Gordon game last night actually) and he has been a stand-out player every time and has not only scored but stopped the opposition score a lot.
He is playing for a team that hasnt always turned up every week.
Its hard going being a back in a team that doesnt win much ball - just ask the Naiyaravoro after Saturdays game at Uni.

Rightly or wrongly Chieka lets players know if they have a future at the club.
I would rather Cam gets a go at the Rebels than rot at the Tahs.

But it does leave us with a few much needed signings.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've seen no reports from Shute Shield suggesting he's carving it up either.

I barely see any reports from Shute Shield - nor would anyone unless they are part of a club. Its not widely covered.

Horne being off contract is still a far bigger concern though. The Reds will hopefully take on Karmichael and that other KHunt and not have any money left.

Plus Horne's selection this week will hopefully remind him where his roots are, when he runs out to the roar of his home crowd.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Everyone seems to have forgotten about Pete Betham.

Clearly Rob Horne needs to be retained. He's become a really solid winger and earned himself a Wallaby recall in that spot.

If we go into next year with Horne and Betham being our two first choice wingers and then Carraro, Naiyaravaro and Kellaway as our backup options I think we're in a pretty decent place.

It is unfortunate to lose Crawford but he hasn't done anything post shoulder reconstruction and has been unable to force himself into the team. We can't keep everyone and if it came down to retaining one out of Horne and Crawford, I'd take Horne every day of the week.

T

Train Without a Station

Crawford's value is surely in the fact he is a quality winger/fullback and Kellaway is the only other one that fits that role also, but is a while off yet it seems.

You have 15 sewn up on form so I guess you only need to worry about injury depth and therefore he became less valuable also.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Everyone seems to have forgotten about Pete Betham.

Clearly Rob Horne needs to be retained. He's become a really solid winger and earned himself a Wallaby recall in that spot.

If we go into next year with Horne and Betham being our two first choice wingers and then Carraro, Naiyaravaro and Kellaway as our backup options I think we're in a pretty decent place.

It is unfortunate to lose Crawford but he hasn't done anything post shoulder reconstruction and has been unable to force himself into the team. We can't keep everyone and if it came down to retaining one out of Horne and Crawford, I'd take Horne every day of the week.

Betham may not come back as same player after injury or may take a season in SS to do so.
Carraro has not been offered a contract, as yet, for next year and is not a winger.
Horne and Naiyaravoro are not out and out wingers either.

At moment we have Folau, Lance, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Naiyaravoro, Beale, Horwitz and Foley as confirmed as staying.
We still need a fair bit of depth for our backline, we have done really well while playing people out of position but it could be argued that nobody in our squad at moment for next year is a winger.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
What recruiting or retention decision has Cheika got wrong since he joined the place?
If you go back to the start people were wrongly accusing him of trying to bring Rocky Elsom back.
As mentioned earlier, he is upfront in moving people on or encouraging them to pursue opportunities elsewhere.
His recruitment is laser focused, not scatter gunned with every player becoming part of the master plan.
Think Chapman. He was brought back as much to mentor young locks like Holloway and Skeleton as play himself.
Attitude is just as important as aptitude to Cheika and it shows in how he's turned a basket case of an organisation around so quickly.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Errm Cam is a great finisher and does have a big boot and all but you may want to take a deep breath and reconsider this statement, Hawko.

Time will tell. I have been known to be wrong (can't quite remember when :)) but right now I think the Rebels picked up a goodie and the Tahs let someone go who had a lot of skill and promise. Had he not been injured, he would have got Betham's cap last year (Link said).

Based on this year and last (Crawford only got one game this year) I would rate the wing pecking order as Horne, Bread, Crawford, Betham, Carraro, Naiyaravoro. Of that, we are losing numbers 2 & 3; I'm not happy.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
What recruiting or retention decision has Cheika got wrong since he joined the place?

Obviously in real terms none as we have vastly improved and are looking like a finals appearance this year, however we all have different opinions of players and even the most loyal of fans have their favourites and those players that no matter what they do they just annoy us
I would have like to see the following players retained:
Aho, Alcock, Holmes, Gilbert, L Timani, Hepetema, Douglas, Alofa, Crawford.
There are also a few players we didnt sign that I would have liked us to get.

Players I would release:
Lance, Carraro, Phipps, Latu, Ryan, Dennis, Foley.
(none of these players have done anything wrong I just prefer other players and what they would/do add to the team).

Status
Not open for further replies.