• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
So he weighs 105 kg or something like that? Because Mtawarira weighs 116 kg and Nyakane 110 kg. Whatever, he's only 17 so he's going to grow
He was 17 in the story when he left Cameroon I think that was 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Just read it again. The story is told in the present tense so it's confusing. He was 17 in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
So hopefully soon it will be a Kuate- Ala'alatoa reserve front row instead of Paddy and pine arse

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Any Tahs supporter know the weight of the new THP Thierry Marcial Kounga Kuate?

He looks like Tendai Mtawarira or Trevor Nyakane

This is the fellow who was shown in an image on Twitter or Facebook or something and was in this thread in about December. Apparently Cheika went apeshit about it because he was not supposed to appear or be mentioned in any kind of media at that time.

Knowing his story back-channel I mentioned him to Georgina at a training session thinking it may have been an human interest story for her when the constraints were lifted.

She knew all about it; in fact she had met him in South Africa when the Waratahs were there in 2014 and knew they were trying to take him under their wing this season if it could be arranged.

But she was waiting for the embargo to be lifted.

It must be now because she wrote this article:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/w...roon-to-the-nsw-waratahs-20150403-1me350.html

He has already played for the Tahs B team - the Gen Blues. I wouldn't get too excited about his being future Super Rugby material. It is more a story about the Tahs, and Cheika in particular, being good guys to a young African lad.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^^^^^

So he can play for Randwick?

Please don't quote a previous big post in total when you just want to make a one-liner comment.

Thank you. LG

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
Quite correct. If the LAW is applied Cheika is gone from all rugby for 6 mths. Will be interesting to see how SANSAR wriggle out from under this....
Lyndon Bray and Greg Peters now under pressure too coz this has clearly been covered up since incident
If Cheika does get away with this breach it will confirm what some players already believe: rugby personalities ARE above the law

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah right. Chiek just wanted to have a chat about Jaco's rulings at half time. During my time as a referee, I spoke to plenty of coaches and managers at half time about issues, and 9 times out of 10 those issues were cleared up in the second half. I can see why the rule is in place obviously, but clearly both parties were happy with the outcome of the conversation, otherwise we would have heard about it sooner.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Did you see him playing for Gen Blues?

I was being sarcastic about the new super star

Yes I did see him. I don't think he is going to be a super star any more than Eni Folau, Izzy's brother, will be.

Eni is built differently from bro' and played prop. He and the African lad trained well in pre-season and played to their potential for Gen Blue.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Yeah right. Chiek just wanted to have a chat about Jaco's rulings at half time. During my time as a referee, I spoke to plenty of coaches and managers at half time about issues, and 9 times out of 10 those issues were cleared up in the second half. I can see why the rule is in place obviously, but clearly both parties were happy with the outcome of the conversation, otherwise we would have heard about it sooner.

Yeh, it's interesting. The rule sounds like something to essentially allow any ref complaints to be taken seriously as a breach of policy (fair enough in my mind, the refs should be given protection). So in my mind, if Jaco doesn't have an issue with it, Cheiks will be safe, if he does, this could get interesting.

My first thought would be that it's more a non-event than a cover-up, just because I don't know why SANZAR and/or Peyper etc. would do that for Cheika. Still, you never know with these things.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The SMH article suggests Cheika was given a please explain, he explained and then was given a warning by SANZAR.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I guess the question I have is why give a warning when he's got a 6 month suspended sentence in place. On the face of it the warning was sent when he got the suspended sentence and Cheika has made a mockery of them.
Didn't breach the code of conduct, just put himself in a position where a breach would have been very possible.

As far as I can tell going into the room is not against the code, but disrespectable behaviour to the ref would have been.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
SANZAR confirms that it received a formal complaint in regard to the alleged conduct of Waratahs head coach, Michael Cheika, following the Waratahs v Blues match played at Allianz Stadium on Saturday 28 March.
After undertaking a thorough investigation, including receiving statements from all parties involved, it was determined that Mr Cheika had approached the match referee, Jaco Peyper, in front of the other match officials to seek clarification on a scrum interpretation during the half time break of the Waratahs v Blues match.
In a short and polite exchange that took place in the referee's change room, Mr Peyper responded to Mr Cheika's request for clarification. No other issues were discussed. Both Mr Cheika and Mr Peyper have subsequently acknowledged this exchange should not have taken place and apologised.
There is no evidence that the referee was influenced by the exchange in his handling of the match, nor in the circumstances has there been a breach of the SANZAR Code of Conduct and no further action will be taken.
SANZAR has issued formal warnings to both Mr Cheika and Mr Peyper and has written to all referees and coaches, reminding them that no discussions should take place between the match officials and coaches during a match.http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/investigation-following-waratahs-v-blues-match/

So it would seem from this that Peyper didn't make any complaint. "A short and polite exchange" Scandalous.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Didn't breach the code of conduct, just put himself in a position where a breach would have been very possible.

As far as I can tell going into the room is not against the code, but disrespectable behaviour to the ref would have been.

But as I understand it, a coach isn't allowed to speak to the ref at half time - politely or not.

That's why there had to be an investigation.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So who made the complaint? One of the other match officials or someone from inside Tahs camp?
I'm guessing it was "reported" by another official, and the language of such things is that it forms a "complaint".
I'm not excusing the "incident" (it seems logical and common-sense that coaches not approach refs during games for any reason) but I think it is probably being blown up into something that it is not. A question was asked, it was answered and that was that, from what is being reported.
The penalty count in each half is a red-herring - maybe all games with significantly different penalty counts in each half should be collated to see if any of the "data" is meaningful. A statistician's wet-dream, no doubt.
The most ridiculous extrapolation I've seen is linking the Kaino YC somehow to this.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm guessing it was "reported" by another official, and the language of such things is that it forms a "complaint".
I'm not excusing the "incident" (it seems logical and common-sense that coaches not approach refs during games for any reason) but I think it is probably being blown up into something that it is not. A question was asked, it was answered and that was that, from what is being reported.
The penalty count in each half is a red-herring - maybe all games with significantly different penalty counts in each half should be collated to see if any of the "data" is meaningful. A statistician's wet-dream, no doubt.
The most ridiculous extrapolation I've seen is linking the Kaino YC somehow to this.

For the amount of times I've read here that refs are manipulated or even intimidated by the All Blacks and McCaw, to not see how a coach going into the refs room at half-time to discuss his rulings or interpretations is a blatant breach of rules of the game and a very bad look for the game is a joke.

Both Cheika and Peyper should be punished because regardless of whether that conversation had any bearing on it or not, the penalty count swung massively afterwards with also a very poor call on the yellow card.

Apparently the Blues felt that there was definitely a change in the way Peyper ruled in the 2nd half even before they found out about the little chat.

I'm not saying that there was any match-fixing or anything going on but there were probably some 'ridiculous extrapolation' going on before Hansie Cronjie and Lance Armstrong were found out. In this day and age you simply cannot allow this kind of look for a professional sport to go unchecked and unpunished. And then be surprised one day when you find out about game fixing or game tampering in our sport....

Status
Not open for further replies.