• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Let's start putting together a known squad for 2016. These players are definitely leaving:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Betham
Kepu
Lance
McKibbin
Naiyaravoro
Palu
Potgeiter

Not sure of the future of these players at Tah Central:

Chapman
Horwitz
McCutcheon
Tilse
Volavola

Looking like a stiff challenge Gibson's taken on.

Reece Hodge
Was ahead of Howritz and others in the Aus 20's in 2013, injured in the 2013 Colts GF and had last year off.
Nailing it this year in his first year back whilst playing 2nd 5

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Why wouldn't it stop their contract been terminated?
If it's a condition of your contract that you need to be eligible for the Wallabies, which is what it sounds like it is, then the contract becomes null and void when that players runs out for another country
It would go against World Rugby rules I'm pretty sure. No club can right up a contract preventing a player from national representation. They can demand eligibility at the time of signing that's all. The French clubs would do this all the time otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why wouldn't it stop their contract been terminated?
If it's a condition of your contract that you need to be eligible for the Wallabies, which is what it sounds like it is, then the contract becomes null and void when that players runs out for another country, unless there were some prearranged clause which would see that player assume foreign marquee position..

They can't prevent the player from representing another country for obvious reasons, but they can stipulate that the player needs to be eligible for Australia.

I think what Jagman said is probably the crux of it from a legal perspective in terms of following World Rugby rules.

There's certainly been a few cases in Super Rugby previously such as Adam Byrnes where they've gone from being Australian eligible at the start of their Super Rugby contract to being capped for another country. The Super Rugby contract has always been allowed to be completed but then they're not re-signed because they would need to be a marquee player.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let's start putting together a known squad for 2016. These players are definitely leaving:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Betham
Kepu
Lance
McKibbin
Naiyaravoro
Palu
Potgeiter

Not sure of the future of these players at Tah Central:

Chapman
Horwitz
McCutcheon
Tilse
Volavola

Looking like a stiff challenge Gibson's taken on.

Lindo, I think this is where you stand. Happy for others to provide updates:

Contracted:

Hooker:
- Tatafu Polota-Nau (2016)
- Hugh Roach (2016)

Prop:
- Benn Robinson (2016)
- Paddy Ryan (2016)

Lock:
- Dave Dennis (2017)
- Dean Mumm (2016)

Backrow:
- Jed Holloway (2017)
- Jack Dempsey (2017)

Scrumhalf:
- Nick Phipps (2017)

Flyhalf:
-Bernard Foley (2018)

Centres
- Jim Stewart (2017)

Wing:
- Rob Horne (2017

Fullback:

Confirmed Leaving:

Sekope Kepu (prop)
Jacques Potgieter (backrow)
Wycliff Palu (No 8)
Brendan McKibbon (scrumhalf)
Adam Ashley-Cooper (centre)
Jono Lance (utility back)
Peter Betham (wing)
Taqele Naiyaravoro (wing)

Status unknown:

Kurtley Beale
Israel Folau
Jeremy Tilse
Matt Carraro
Michael Hooper
Mitch Chapman
Pat McCutcheon
Stephen Hoiles
Tala Gray
Tolu Latu
Will Skelton
Sam Louise
Michael Alaatoa
Andrew Kellaway

Some of these last lads may have signed, however I just haven't captured it.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The above list is missing Horwitz and Volavola. Both are unkown I think. Anyone know if Lousi will be able to play NRC? I thought he really should have been given a go at club level before throughing him into super rugby. If he doesn't play NRC he won't really be any more aquainted with the game next year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It certainly doesn't result in their contract being terminated. It does come into play when they go to sign a new contract.

I don't think Volavola is currently contracted beyond this year.

If Volavola wanted to both stay in Australia and play for Fiji then he should re-sign for a couple of years with the Tahs before the RWC squads are picked and then nominate for Fiji.
Doesn't Fiji status enhance his value in Europe?
Maybe that's what's behind this, I wouldn't be putting big money on the Tahs re signing him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Doesn't Fiji status enhance his value in Europe?
Maybe that's what's behind this, I wouldn't be putting big money on the Tahs re signing him.

It almost certainly would.

I guess the question is whether he wants to move to Europe now though.

The way I see it, he could probably re-sign with the Tahs, play for Fiji and then go overseas at the end of that contract. I can't imagine too much sleep would be lost at the Tahs or the ARU if that happened. It's not like we're talking big dollars and a high profile player that the ARU is desperate to have available for the Wallabies in years to come.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Volavola at this point in his career has almost no chance of a wallabies cap considering the competition. he may as well move on and play internationals if they are willing to pick him. why would Fiji want to pick him though? he has only played 3rd and 4th tier rugby?

Does anybody know if Kuate will play NRC?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Can't see why Kuate wouldn't play for NRC. Jake Illnicki might be playing for Canada so that would free up a spot at the Eagles.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lindo, I think this is where you stand. Happy for others to provide updates:
<snip>
Change Sam Louise to Sam Louisi
Add Auvasa Faleali'i to unknown status as a halfback
Add David Horwitz to unknown status as a Five Eighth
Add Ben VolvoVolvo to unknown status as a Five Eighth
Add Thierry Marcial Kounga Kuate to unknown status as a Prop

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Wonder how Dismal Pillock will handle the news, knowing we're (as is Australia) stealing players out of his backyard. Handy to have another Wallabies eligible prop.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's a good signing, hopefully we get Cameron Orr and Ned Hanigan from the u20s too.

Press release says 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.