• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As a rule, no.
But some definitely add value.
I can easily name 1/2 dozen players that were only solid Shute Shield standard,earning good money in Europe on the back of their agents work.

son good for the players, not the sport. A one way relationship

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
son good for the players, not the sport. A one way relationship

I think that's a pretty big call to say that they're bad for the sport. They facilitate all sorts of deals that ensure players can be spotted and try to improve their exposure to increase value. Not to mention they mean that players can concentrate on their game rather than negotiating their next deal.

T

Train Without a Station

They deliver outcomes for their stakeholders. Plain and simple. It's not unethical that they look after their clients and to do anything otherwise and collect a commission would be unethical.

T

TOCC

players agents apparently get a 10% commission for their player to sign in Europe and only a 5% for Australia..

Players agents would be looking out for themselves when pushing the Europe option, bigger wages as well as a bigger slice of said wages means there is massive incentives for a players agent to push a 'Europe' contract for their client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Yes but an Australian based player would have an Australian based agent. When he relocated to Europe he would likely link with a European agent when they negotiate their next deal.

5% of 12 years contracts is a lot more than 10% of a single contract.

T

TOCC

Yes but an Australian based player would have an Australian based agent.

Not necessarily, many of Australia's biggest sports management firms have offices in London. Ross Xenos raised this issue, players agents will be more inclined to lean towards Europe where wages on offer are greater and commission's larger.

T

Train Without a Station

I think that's a bit of a furphy. Most euro deals are lined up between an Aus based agent and euro based one and they likely split the commission. At least in the past they have been.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
T

TOCC

I think that's a bit of a furphy. Most euro deals are lined up between an Aus based agent and euro based one and they likely split the commission. At least in the past they have been.

It's no furphy, IMG, SEL and Newstart Sport to name a few have a mix of European, Australian and even Japanese offices for this exact purpose.
Some managers without an international network might use European based agencies, but there are a large number who these days have international networks for that very purpose.

T

Train Without a Station

It's no furphy, IMG, SEL and Newstart Sport to name a few have a mix of European, Australian and even Japanese offices for this exact purpose.
Some managers without an international network might use European based agencies, but there are a large number who these days have international networks for that very purpose.

TOCC this is the RUPA accredited list:

http://c1940652.r52.cf0.rackcdn.com/5599edb6ff2a7c1d00000502/Accredited-Agents-List---July-2015.pdf

There's only 2 people from IMG on there. Doesn't appear to be any from SEL and Newstart.

T

TOCC

TOCC this is the RUPA accredited list:

http://c1940652.r52.cf0.rackcdn.com/5599edb6ff2a7c1d00000502/Accredited-Agents-List---July-2015.pdf

There's only 2 people from IMG on there. Doesn't appear to be any from SEL and Newstart.

It's Newstar* and the Piccone brothers are on that list, Newstar are on of the major sports management firms in Australian Rugby. That list is a little arbitrary as there are plenty of players who have representation through non accredited managers like Khode Nasser, an accredited agent is only necessary to finalises the contract which can be done through negotiated set fees rather then commissions.

Anyway this is digressing way off topic... . Perhaps some players do switch to European based managers, but there are plenty who don't, and that's why the agencies have branches in Europe and Japan.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

His last two coaching gigs were the Sydney Stars - wooden spooners and looked awful - and the forwards coach for the U-20's. Their forwards got smashed by the big boys and did not look well coached at all.

That is not a good look, we should have gone for someone with a proven history of success.

Outstanding.

I trust there is a measure of irony in this comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.