• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Manly Sea Eagles have signed 18yr old NSW player Tom Wright to a 3 year deal claiming he is the hottest property in rugby union?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good player - yes
Big loss to Union - yes
Hottest propert available - no
Will he come back to Union - I would think so

Tom Wright would be useful in the Rugby sevens environment.

Big loss to Union - No. Mungo fanboy hype. Many Schoolboy Rockstars struggle to make an impact in Colts/Grade footy. There will be another one next year. We only have 150 professionally contracted players in Super Rugby in Australia.

Hottest property available - no. Mungo fanboy and player manager vested interest hype.

Will he come back to Union - Better question would be, will he get a NRL contract? - I don't think so. Good luck to him if he does. Next question is: If he doesn't get a NRL contract, will he come back to Union? - He will be tainted goods, and will have given up 3 years technical and professional rugby development head start to his competition. Most re-converts are unable to catch up that lost ground.

Have I heard all this before? Yep. They often didn't make it into NRL or made no major impact when they return. Who has gone on to Professional Rugby after doing a two year "Finishing School" gig in the Car Makers U20 Cup?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Tom Wright would be useful in the Rugby sevens environment.

Big loss to Union - No. Mungo fanboy hype. Many Schoolboy Rockstars struggle to make an impact in Colts/Grade footy. There will be another one next year. We only have 150 professionally contracted players in Super Rugby in Australia.

Hottest property available - no. Mungo fanboy and player manager vested interest hype.

Will he come back to Union - Better question would be, will he get a NRL contract? - I don't think so. Good luck to him if he does. Next question is: If he doesn't get a NRL contract, will he come back to Union? - He will be tainted goods, and will have given up 3 years technical and professional rugby development head start to his competition. Most re-converts are unable to catch up that lost ground.

Have I heard all this before? Yep. They often didn't make it into NRL or made no major impact when they return. Who has gone on to Professional Rugby after doing a two year "Finishing School" gig in the Car Makers U20 Cup?

Rocky Elsom?

T

Train Without a Station

Wycliff Palu. Sam Lousi. Rod Davies. Berrick Barnes. Lopeti Timani. Ben Daley. Tyrone Smith. Nic Henderson. Duncan Paia'aia. That's just to name a few.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Numbers in the sample set still haven't increased by much. I'll concede that they may have gone to professional rugby after time in the car makers cup, but not too many of those have proved the exception to the Rule by making a major impact.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Wycliff Palu. Sam Lousi. Rod Davies. Berrick Barnes. Lopeti Timani. Ben Daley. Tyrone Smith. Nic Henderson. Duncan Paia'aia. That's just to name a few.

When you add in Rocky Elsom and Nehe Milner-Scudder to this list it starts to look a bit more impressive:
Six internationals I think​
All of them played Super Rugby​
And I still have very high hopes for Sam Lousi when he recovers and Lopeti Timani after another season.​

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Next question is: If he doesn't get a NRL contract, will he come back to Union? - He will be tainted goods, and will have given up 3 years technical and professional rugby development head start to his competition. Most re-converts are unable to catch up that lost ground.

Ok, I'll bite.

Just how many 18yro does rugby have in technical and professional rugby development at one time in Australia?

................ and I don't mean giving them bus and lunch money to train, but a living wage in a professional environment?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Too tempting to leave alone.

Just how many 18 yr olds does rugby need in technical and professional rugby development at any one time in Australia? There are only 150 contracted slots in all of Rugbydom.

Does the Carmakers Cup give a living wage in a professional environment? Based on the figures being bandied around for the Team Salary Cap, while a couple of Rockstars do quite well thank you very much, for most of the contracted players they receive not a great deal of dollars. The big reward that keeps kids going there is the opportunity of landing a NRL contract.

Good on the young kid for playing the game the way he sees it and I wish him success with his new endeavours.
Is this the major blow to the future of Rugby in this country that some are making it out to be? I don't think so.

Having hijacked the thread temporarily, I'll now head back into my cave with respect to the hijacking.

Now onto Zac Guildford and his potential Waratah Contract rethink.

It is becoming increasingly prevalent for Players to have second and third thoughts AFTER they have signed playing contracts, with many seeking and being granted early release.

Will this potentially result in an overall devaluation of player contracts across the board, or will the clubs react by back end loading contracts with completion bonuses and the like?

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Now onto Zac Guildford and his potential Waratah Contract rethink.

It is becoming increasingly prevalent for Players to have second and third thoughts AFTER they have signed playing contracts, with many seeking and being granted early release.

Will this potentially result in an overall devaluation of player contracts across the board, or will the clubs react by back end loading contracts with completion bonuses and the like?

This is the reason why I think Toulon has been so cut throat with QC (Quade Cooper) and Leinster with Kane Douglas. A lot of people were saying "why would you keep a player who doesn't want to be there?" and I think a big part of the answer is that otherwise a lot of other players might suddenly start deciding they don't want to be at a club half way through their deal.

As for the Tahs and Zac, I feel they should demand compensation for the cost of chasing his signature, then go on to sign someone else. Does League have any more Taqele Naiyaravoros running around?

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Plenty of big lazy wingers going round in nsw cup
Trick is spotting one that might be useful in union and that you hope is just being lazy because he is jaded with the game/lack of chances to move up to nrl

T

TOCC

Is Rocky Elsom the exception that proves the rule?

Who else?

The Schoolboy Superhero Rockstar conversion rate is covered in this research paper from James Barkell. http://sydney.edu.au/education_soci...CE-papers/resources/HMHCE_Article_01_2013.pdf

A good read and reality check for many vainglorious helicopter parents.

What interests me the most out of this article is that of those who earned Wallaby selection, less then half played Australian Schoolboys..

I'd be interested to see the stat of the current team and compare that to the u20's tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.