• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This is what I've got so far

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tolu Latu
3. Paddy Ryan (I'd much prefer to give a young guy a run. Paddy Ryan while athletic for a big fella isn't up to the task in the scrum. If we're going to get troweled come scrum time I'd prefer it to be a learning experience for some young bloke.)
4. Dean Mumm
5. Will Skelton
6. Dave Dennis (c)
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jed Holloway (Yes, this would be well deserved.)
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Rob Horne
12. Jim Stewart
13. Israel Folau
14. Zac Guildford
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Hugh Roach (I don't see Roach displacing TPN on the bench or Latu usurping TPN starting spot.)
17. Cameron Orr
18. Angus Ta'avao
19. Sam Lousi
20. Jack Dempsey/Brad Wilken
21. Matt Lucas?
22. David Horwitz
23. Andrew Kellaway

24. Tatafu Polota-Nau
25. Ned Hanigan
26. Henry Clunies-Ross
27. Tom Kingston

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is what I've got so far

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tolu Latu
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Dean Mumm
5. Will Skelton
6. Dave Dennis (c)
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jed Holloway
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Rob Horne
12. Jim Stewart
13. Israel Folau
14. Zac Guildford
15. Kurtley Beale

Would Izzy be committed to 7s throughout the year?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Kingston is back on the Tahs radar.

I thought I read somewhere Kingston is in heavy studying some big scholarship

After moving from Sydney to Melbourne, and despite battling with injury through the last Super Rugby season with the Rebels, Tom Kingston has been very busy to say the least, with things progressing finely not only on-field, but off-field as well for 2015!
Currently studying JD Law at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Tom has received excellent grades across all of his subjects, including coming 1st overall in Torts. As a result of this, Tom has been invited to participate in the International Maritime Law Arbitration Moot. This annual mooting competition, which involves settling a dispute relating to commercial maritime law, invites teams comprised of law students from around the world and generally rotates between being held in Australia, South East Asia and Europe, this year at Murdoch University in Melbourne.
"It's a new challenge and something outside my comfort zone that's for sure" said Kingston.
On the rugby front, Kingston spent the NRC period undergoing rehab for servere patella tendinitis on both his knees which he had been struggling with for close to 18 months. Unfortunately though that was to no avail, so he was forced to undergo surgery just before Christmas.
"I should be back running in the next 3 or so weeks, and then back to training after that" he said. "I'm hoping to then be back in line for selection around the Round 4/5 mark of Super Rugby".
Kingston knows he has some serious work to do before that point but is focused on getting them right for the long term.
We wish Tom the best of luck both at the Mooting competition, but also with his rehabilitation. We look forward to seeing him back playing at his best again very soon!

Play for the Tahs? he may not want to take a pay cut

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does that thank you visual mean Michael Ala'alatoa has been discarded while Tilse has been retained? Madness.

Who's the bloke between Volavola and Gray?
My guess is Dave Porecki.

I'm not sure if Tilse fits in, as with Fatcat, Ta'avao, Ryan, Sandell (EPS), Robertson (EPS), Orr (Transitional) - we only had 6 props last year (if you include Kuate) so Tilse's stocks aren't so high. You'd have thought his long service albeit off the bench would've gotten him a special post on Insta, apparently he was one of those "glue" team members who provided more off the field than on.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Does that thank you visual mean Michael Ala'alatoa has been discarded while Tilse has been retained? Madness.

Who's the bloke between Volavola and Gray?

Think it was reported somewhere that he chose to go to the ITM Cup to chase a Super Rugby contract in NZ instead of continuing with the Waratahs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bit worried seeing Paddy Ryan and Tolu Latu getting shown up repeatedly by the Southern Districts scrum this afternoon. Doesn't bode well for the Tahs next year. Here's hoping Ta'avao is the answer.

They weren't the only Paratroopers shown up in Clubland over the weekend, but they were probably the worst performing of them. Maybe it wasn't an attempt to rort the Player Points system. Maybe Chris Malone and Cameron Blades got their assessment of relative abilities right when they named Ryan for the 2nd Grade Bench.

Did Latu actually get a lineout throw right yesterday? Forget about all the fancy pants ball carries and pretty boy offloads, I want a hooker that can scrummage and throw an accurate and straight lineout, regardless of the prevailing wind conditions. Do the core skills of your job description accurately, and everything else is an extra bonus.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ryan was having trouble on the LH side, which is not a shock as TH props often don't know what to do with a free shoulder. Believe he was the one who collapsed inward and was given a penalty for it, which set up Uni for field position and got them back in the lead.

It was only justice that the winning penalty was from Uni's scrum failing so miserably. And it wasn't Ryan getting nailed on that occasion.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That uni side was one of the most baffling selections I have seen for ages, Latu starting at LHP, tilse at lock, WTF?

But Jim Stewart looks bloody promising at 13

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just read a sidenote re Wallaby squad for the next test that Kane Douglas has just been signed up to the Reds for 3 years, wow...what has Waratahs done or not done to see that happen?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Waratahs ain't done nothin.

Douglas's fiancé/wife is from Queensland and his brother plays for the Titans. They want to be close to the family for the birth of their first child.

If she was from Perth he'd be at the force, if she was from Melbourne he'd be at the Rebels, it's the way the chips fall.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Luke Douglas is Kane's brother. He's the bonus out of the deal, the intent was to be close to her family.

Think Luke has played for Scotland in mungoball too. Would you look at that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tilse started at lock for player points reasons. The Uni scrum was very dominant when he was there and Latu @ LH actually.

I wonder if Jake Douglas will move to? He had a great impact off the bench for Souths yesterday too.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Lukhan Tui has apparently been signed for the Reds, good luck to the kid, I hope he keeps growing...

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The NRL, England and Wales logos at the end of the video saying 'more are coming' is interesting. Any ideas who?

Status
Not open for further replies.