• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah let's keep doing that thing where we don't develop any other options and hang onto players too long.

Reactions: mst

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Right now, if Kepu came back we'd all be really happy. Except for Robertson. He needs to play THP week-in, week-out for 18 months against Super quality loose heads. If Kepu comes back, how does that happen?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair point regarding Robertson getting game time. It is always a juggling act giving up and comers the game time the need. It is easier at prop than in most positions, because the starters generally only play 50 - 60.

With regards to Kepu's age - I would have thought it was more a case of Australian rugby getting the value of a player in his prime that we developed. Kepu was never playing better than last year and should have a good couple of years in him yet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bugger me. On the one hand we whinge about oz rugby not having enough depth for 5 teams and then we whinge when we bring back one of our top players (potentially).

If you've got your heart set on Robertson getting more game time then sent either Tom or Sekope to the Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Right now, if Kepu came back we'd all be really happy. Except for Robertson. He needs to play THP week-in, week-out for 18 months against Super quality loose heads. If Kepu comes back, how does that happen?

And Tilse goes not Roberston.

Fair point regarding Robertson getting game time. It is always a juggling act giving up and comers the game time the need. It is easier at prop than in most positions, because the starters generally only play 50 - 60.

With regards to Kepu's age - I would have thought it was more a case of Australian rugby getting the value of a player in his prime that we developed. Kepu was never playing better than last year and should have a good couple of years in him yet.

Sio and Allaoatoa got juggled to were they are now. In regards to Sio he had qulaity players in front of him

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If Kepu comes back he takes his chances. If he remains good enough and better than the next guy then he gets chosen. Other bloke rides the pine or fucks off to wherever until HE becomes top dog.

Very happy for him to come to the Reds

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bugger me. On the one hand we whinge about oz rugby not having enough depth for 5 teams and then we whinge when we bring back one of our top players (potentially).

Exhibit A for the prosecution: Palu.

I note in other news that Ollie Hoskins has gone offshore.

Let's all think about the lack of respect our tight five - and props in particular - get in this country for a moment.

Go on - I'll wait.

giphy.gif

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Exhibit A for the prosecution: Palu.

I note in other news that Ollie Hoskins has gone offshore.

Let's all think about the lack of respect our tight five - and props in particular - get in this country for a moment.

Go on - I'll wait.

Palu is 3 and a half years older than Kepu and it's been a long time since he's produced his best, particularly at test level.

Kepu had his best season of test rugby in 2015 and THP generally reach their prime later than a number 8.

Is there really that much less respect from a salary point of view or is it just that outside of our core Wallaby players, the dollars drop away rapidly.

Where there is a difference is the non salary endorsements. The front rowers are never going to have the sort of public appeal that the Israel Folau's do. That is hardly a situation limited to Australia though and is the same across any sport in terms of glamour positions.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Both of you aren't wrong, but you aren't exactly right.

The cultural issue with front rowers in Australia is that "fat kid gets picked last" and that becomes a real issue moving into the senior ranks.

"Fat kid with ball skills" is much better of course, but the way its run at the moment, none of these guys get a real challenge until they come up against opposition from a deeper pool or superior scrum culture.

Yeah but Nick the question begs asking- was Hoskins any good?

Been around for a while, couldn't even crack the Force starting team. Not sure that's a lack of respect.

Good enough to get a shot overseas, at least. Wish that had fucking happened to Tilse years ago - as you say: couldn't crack the starting team.

How many chances was he given at the Farce? Australian Rugby has a navel-gazing approach when it comes to selection - incumbents get an inflated value because they don't fuck up, and hell we just except mediocrity anyway while we sit around waiting for some people to find a form streak.

The issue is, someone gets incumbency, and "good enough is good enough" when it comes to props, we tend to hang onto them and never give someone else a shot.

There is nowhere in Australia really interested in developing props, and it shows.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The cultural issue with front rowers in Australia is that "fat kid gets picked last" and that becomes a real issue moving into the senior ranks.

"Fat kid with ball skills" is much better of course, but the way its run at the moment, none of these guys get a real challenge until they come up against opposition from a deeper pool or superior scrum culture.

Good enough to get a shot overseas, at least. Wish that had fucking happened to Tilse years ago - as you say: couldn't crack the starting team.

How many chances was he given at the Farce? Australian Rugby has a navel-gazing approach when it comes to selection - incumbents get an inflated value because they don't fuck up, and hell we just except mediocrity anyway while we sit around waiting for some people to find a form streak.

The issue is, someone gets incumbency, and "good enough is good enough" when it comes to props, we tend to hang onto them and never give someone else a shot.

There is nowhere in Australia really interested in developing props, and it shows.

The reality is plenty of cases though is that elite front rowers didn't start there at a really young age. There are obviously some that do because their body shape was always like that and some others that always wanted to play their probably because their Dad was a front rower etc.

Hoskins has been signed by a team relegated from the English Premiership so he's certainly moving to a competition that is substantially inferior to Super Rugby. He has 26 caps for the Force.

Does the incumbency thing really change much for other positions? Coaches select the players they think are best and there is an inherent advantage working with someone you're familiar with and have put work into coaching.

It's difficult because giving everyone a fair crack at the highest levels available doesn't really mesh well with professional sport.

In terms of the Force, their front rowers have been one of their strengths in the last few years.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hoskins has a good build, maybe slightly tall, and is young. He could learn a lot overseas, but fuck I'd like to bring him over to the Tahs and replace Tilse.

And the "props mature at 30" is a general Law, not a Rule.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
it's a pretty long bow to call kepu and straight up walk in that will push robertson out. tilse and ryan are far more likely to have sweaty palms.

i'd be happy for him to come back to the tahs and mentor roberston or any other reserve prop.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
After Kurtley Beale, I think Tom Robertson would be just about the next player the Waratahs will be most keen to re-sign for next season. He's become their first choice THP in a very short period of time and has huge potential as he is only 21.

Regardless of Kepu, they'll be very keen to lock him down. He's studying medicine at Sydney Uni so it's not like he's likely to look elsewhere for a starting spot if he loses his starting spot at the Tahs.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

The other challenge with identifying front rowers is natural growth and development.

The bloke who was prop in our 13As was a gun. Prodigy. But then he grew 3 feet, was skinny as a rake and ended up playing outside centre.

In a position so dependant on size and shape, tagging young props is fraught with disaster, as 'fat kids' often end up thin and athletic by the time they are 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.