• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The game I saw - I believe it was against the Crusaders Kellaway didn't look assured in the back. Pretty sure they scored a direct try off a bomb that was kicked straight to him but regathered easily by the Crusaders. Their bombs were effective that game. That wouldn't happen with Izzy at fullback.

We need a fullback who is great under the highball. Beale was looking solid enough in that regard. Other then Izzy I think Mogg is the only other Aussie player who has Test worthy high ball skills - too bad about the rest of his game and the fact he plays overseas.

Maybe Hunt is good under ball?

Didn't see that game, so I can't comment. What I have seen of Kellaway so far has been excellent and enough to suggest that he'll be a very good fullback for the Tahs and possibly even the Wallabies in the future. Izzy is the only fullback in the country who is what I would call excellent under the high ball and that's why he should play there for the Wallabies IMHO.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The game I saw - I believe it was against the Crusaders Kellaway didn't look assured in the back. Pretty sure they scored a direct try off a bomb that was kicked straight to him but regathered easily by the Crusaders. Their bombs were effective that game. That wouldn't happen with Izzy at fullback.

We need a fullback who is great under the highball. Beale was looking solid enough in that regard. Other then Izzy I think Mogg is the only other Aussie player who has Test worthy high ball skills - too bad about the rest of his game and the fact he plays overseas.

Maybe Hunt is good under ball?

Kellaway is well worth persevering with. Pace, hands, and ability to read the game. His defence is his Achiles heel but should improve.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Kellaway is well worth persevering with. Pace, hands, and ability to read the game. His defence is his Achiles heel but should improve.

The best young back that the Waratahs have signed in quite a while. We'll be watching and talking about him for years to come.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Clubland%20story%20web.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is someone going to claim Henry Hutchinson that is a product of Shute Shield, & the Randwick club? After all he must have played at least four games in the Myrtle green last year.

What would he (& Kellaway) have learned in the 3 years that he/they were in the NGS programme, or the various Gordon age group rep sides, or in their time in AAGPS, NSW & Aust U16 & Open Schoolboy teams?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Tell me where these blokes are meant to play and train if they have no scheduled commitments with anyone else between time in these programs and other things. Also factor into account time they weren't good enough to make respective programs.

And that's implying Hutchison has made it yet. Wouldn't surprise me if he has to play club football to play in a Waratahs side if that is the Super Rugby side that signed him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tell me where these blokes are meant to play and train if they have no scheduled commitments with anyone else between time in these programs and other things. Also factor into account time they weren't good enough to make respective programs.

And that's implying Hutchison has made it yet. Wouldn't surprise me if he has to play club football to play in a Waratahs side if that is the Super Rugby side that signed him.

which is pretty much the point. Club rugby is that - a place for players to play rugby. I don't think anyone disputes that and that it should exist.

But is it this wonderful development tool responsible for producing every rugby star in Super Rugby? No. Far from it.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
which is pretty much the point. Club rugby is that - a place for players to play rugby. I don't think anyone disputes that and that it should exist.

But is it this wonderful development tool responsible for producing every rugby star in Super Rugby? No. Far from it.

Take it away and you will see how far players go.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Let's be honest the NRC is an absolute joke and the U20's state pathway in it's current format is a great way for someone to justify his position in the HPU. If those blokes aren't better playing senior footy in there clubs and being better prepared for the U20's WC that will do me. Instead some of the top players play against some Sydney 3rd graders(NSW is generally one of the stronger states as well so I would hate to see what the other players weaker players are like).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Shute Shield is a holding pattern for blokes who couldn't get a pro contact, or need to stay match fit while being extended squad for injury cover.

The aim of club rugby in Australia isn't development, and hasn't been since Super Rugby came along. It's now a safeguard against attrition.

Go look at the Clubbies playing in the NRC against the pros: they're all out of puff 10-15 minutes from the end, while the Soup players are still gunning it.

Holloway and co show they're a cut above in the NRC not because club rugby made them so, but because, as full time pros, they can train like pros, and with pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.