• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
1) Folau still can't play there, or wing, defensively. In fact, what the fuck happened to the wide defence?

2) All criticism of Hooper has been unfair. Its just that some people like to say "Oh he doesn't fetch like Gill!" because they're generally sister-slammers from up north.

Folau can play wherever he wants as far as I'm concerned. He got 184 points for my fantasy team. As a comparison Ben Smith got 28 and Hooper got 57. Double points granted but so what :D

Hooper was immense last night BTW and that was as good a win as I've seen the Waratahs have in many a season, including the one over the Brumbies in the semi 2014.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
people bang on about Skelton in the set piece, did we see the scrum just before Folau's 2nd try? Lousi and Skelton were packing in the 2nd row and they bulldozed it.
I think he always catches the ball running laterally or standing still, we saw what he can do with a bit of umph when he picked up Palu's offload. Why don't they have him running unders lines with some pace on him?

They'd like to. Last night they got some consistent front-foot ball to do it. You need Skelton lumbering after the play ahead of him, just on the verge of catching it.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The problem is, "what is he?". If there's no obvious answer then "what position can we best use him?" 7 sounds good.

And no, he cant fetch like Gill.
Umm, in his breakout season with the Brumbies in 2012, he was affecting pilfers like a thief in the night. He certainly has it in him, he's just placed more emphasis on the other parts of his game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Izzy has certainly shown that he can carve up in the centres as well as fullback. That great for the Wallabies but really what's allowed it to happen (especially in Beale's absence) is how assured Kellaway has looked at fullback. He's looked solid as back there and it means that the potential trouble spot at 13 can have Izzy in there doing maximum damage.

Hooper is perhaps not your classical fetcher but he can clearly play on the ball. His linking and skills with the hands are quite excellent, but the thing that really sets him apart is his electric pace. I don't think there's a forward in the game who is as fast as he is. That means he can run a tight support line off one of the backs and shoot through a gap, like we've seen him do so many times. He carries the ball up a *lot* too, basically playing like a smaller eight. He makes the requisite nuisance of himself at the breakdown, but the Tahs game plan is more about counter rucking and smashing blokes in contact than it is pilfering.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Horwitz is in the system and touching the edge of the starting squad, I expect him to be the next option

Reece Hodge? He needs to be in a pro system, learn and build his core fitness

Found it;)
Remember this post.

Responded with he is in the fitness industry, and I'd been watching him progress.
Rewards what hard work can bring.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Izzy has certainly shown that he can carve up in the centres as well as fullback. That great for the Wallabies but really what's allowed it to happen (especially in Beale's absence) is how assured Kellaway has looked at fullback. He's looked solid as back there and it means that the potential trouble spot at 13 can have Izzy in there doing maximum damage.

The game I saw - I believe it was against the Crusaders Kellaway didn't look assured in the back. Pretty sure they scored a direct try off a bomb that was kicked straight to him but regathered easily by the Crusaders. Their bombs were effective that game. That wouldn't happen with Izzy at fullback.

We need a fullback who is great under the highball. Beale was looking solid enough in that regard. Other then Izzy I think Mogg is the only other Aussie player who has Test worthy high ball skills - too bad about the rest of his game and the fact he plays overseas.

Maybe Hunt is good under ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.