• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think he seems like a reasonable option.

We have a tonne of great young wingers coming through like Harry Jones, Andrew Kellaway, Henry Clunies-Ross etc. but we've lost a lot of experience there so getting someone who is used to the professional environment and should be ready to go from round 1 is a good idea.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Signed the weekend Taqele is making his debut for Glasgow.
Yeah, but it's because we've got 6 injuries, 17 still with Scotland World Cup squad and another 4 still in the mandatory stand down period.

We would've probably liked to give him another week or two beforehand if possible. It'll be a bad bad game.

T

TOCC

I think he seems like a reasonable option.

We have a tonne of great young wingers coming through like Harry Jones, Andrew Kellaway, Henry Clunies-Ross etc. but we've lost a lot of experience there so getting someone who is used to the professional environment and should be ready to go from round 1 is a good idea.

In terms of been ready to go for Rd 1, does 'professional environment' experience outweigh 'rugby union' experience?

He is an experienced player at rugby league, but his last game of rugby union was over a decade ago.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In terms of been ready to go for Rd 1, does 'professional environment' experience outweigh 'rugby union' experience?

He is an experienced player at rugby league, but his last game of rugby union was over a decade ago.

I guess we'll see. The Waratahs obviously think he's a viable option. Also given the number of young options they already have signed, it appears they want someone older and more experienced to round out that group.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Somehow in all this what is discounted is league experience
Which would benefit Union.

Open your minds is my suggestion

T

TOCC

Somehow in all this what is discounted is league experience
Which would benefit Union.

Open your minds is my suggestion

It's absolutely not discounted, there have been enough code-swaps in recent history to give a good indication of how long it takes a player to adapt and get used to the rules.

Izzy Folau has made the fastest transition, Sailor, Rogers and Tuqiri also made quick transitions but at the time they were essentially some of the best athletes in the NRL.

There have been other players like Timana Tahu, Clinton Shifcofske, Jordan Rapana, Will Chambers, Cooper Vuna, Jarryd Saffy, Ryan Cross, Sam Harris, Nathan Blacklock and the most recent and high profile example of Sam Burgess who have all taken noticeably longer.

I think he will probably make a decent player, but i don't think he should be in the pecking order ahead of guys like Andrew Kellaway. Also i have no issue with recruiting league players, i would just prefer to see them recruited earlier on in their careers.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It's absolutely not discounted, there have been enough code-swaps in recent history to give a good indication of how long it takes a player to adapt and get used to the rules.

Izzy Folau has made the fastest transition, Sailor, Rogers and Tuqiri also made quick transitions but at the time they were essentially some of the best athletes in the NRL.

There have been other players like Timana Tahu, Clinton Shifcofske, Jordan Rapana, Will Chambers, Cooper Vuna, Jarryd Saffy, Ryan Cross, Sam Harris, Nathan Blacklock and the most recent and high profile example of Sam Burgess who have all taken noticeably longer.

I think he will probably make a decent player, but i don't think he should be in the pecking order ahead of guys like Andrew Kellaway. Also i have no issue with recruiting league players, i would just prefer to see them recruited earlier on in their careers.
It's probably not a coincidence that the players you mention who were able to make the fastest transition were outside backs. Except for Rogers of course but he did play Aus schoolboys..

I think the cross correlation of skills for a winger is much higher than it is for say a centre, and especially the forwards - they are chalk and cheese.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
We have signed a handful of untried youngsters on the wing,a kiwi with behavioural problems,and a mungo who would best be described as a journeyman.
If he was a 28 yo Rugby player that had been through 4 franchises,I would still be saying hmmm.
Unless a couple of the above perform well above expectations, it might be a long year.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
This article appeared in the SMH today ( Courtesy SMH / Andrew Webster - I hope that's the right form of recognition ?)

I wasn't quite sure where to post it - so thought the Tah's site the best.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rugby-world-cup/wallabies-adam-ashleycooper-helps-dying-friend-tick-off-bucket-list-item-at-rugby-world-cup-20151015-gk9m8o.html

NSW Referees received an email earlier in the week, advising of Guy's passing. Anyone who knew him, or his family - knew how passionate about rugby they were.

Sincere kudos to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - this is what Rugby and mateship is all about !

We can't all be Waratahs or Wallabies - but we can share in their pride & passion - and when they give a little something back, I believe that it should be recognized.

The press grab on to the bad press items way too quickly - nice to see them picking up on a good one for a change !

The Hound

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Fair comment that prefer to recruit younger league players - don't disagree there- but happy to trade that off for the odd older better players which I believe Reece is given was second highest try scorer for Eels last season....so comes with some better pedigree then some of the recent younger league players....

End of the day it is all about picking the best team....if Reece shows early he can justify jumping ahead of Andrew Kellaway than so be it...as all about putting the best team on the field......I don't see any player jumping the queue unless their form dictates it as they are after a winning team

Some of those players you list I thought made quicker transition than you suggest....depends on what your expectation is I guess.....but that is debate not worth getting into...

But will comment I think you need to differentiate those who have some union background vs those that don't. As I think players like Burgess who had no union background are actually making fairly good progress - just think more public expectations are a bit unrealistic - hope to see burgess in 6 nations from the bench as he is not that bad and will only improve from here.....that you can count on....he is a superb athlete....

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Not good. Old news if it is a more of the drinking problem. The Tahs don't need a repeat of previous issues to distract from there on field performance. You would think they would have learnt the lessons by now

Fixed.:eek:

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Update - Tahs squad 2015

1. Robinson
2. Polota-Nau
3. Ta'avao
4. Skelton
5. Mumm
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Dennis
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Beale
13. Carraro
14. Guildford
15. Folau

16. Tilse
17. Latu
18. Ryan
19. Lousi
20. Holloway
21. (scrumhalf req'd - maybe Lucas)
22. Horwitz
23. Kellaway

24. Roach
25. Robertson (currently EPS)
26. Sandell (currently EPS)
27. (lock req'd - maybe Hanigan - currently transition)
28. (lock req'd - maybe Philip)
29. Wilkin
30. (on-baller req'd)
31. (No.8 req'd)
32. Gordon (currently EPS)
33. (inside centre req'd)
34. Stewart
35. (winger req'd - maybe Jones - currently transition - or Clunies-Ross/Northam)
36. Robinson

Other current transition - Orr (LHP) / Deegan (flyhalf)

By my count, there's 7 contracts remaining. I've assumed a 21/15 split between piano pushers/players, though this year was 20/16 - noting Faleali'i, Horwitz, Lance, Kellaway, Clunies-Ross, Volavola, even Betham, were largely unsighted so there's an argument of rebalance towards the former).

I watched FA NRC, so there may be some form players I haven't considered - I might have tried Boyd Killingworth though understand he's committed to sevens. I think Hanigan and Jones are good as locked, any thoughts on other possibles for the 7 remaining spots??

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's a pretty poor squad.
Apart from match day 22 (no reserve9)
We have Roach,Wilkins & Stewart that are ready to make the next step.

In our starting 15 we will have a fatigued 9 & 15.
And a bench with question marks over at least 3 (Lousi,Horwitz & Kellaway).

When the inevitable injuries kick in,it's going to get tough.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Tilse has given the Tahs excellent service these past nine years, and is one of the social and morale glues of the squad, but I can't help feeling it might've been a better bet for the future to go with Michael Ala'alatoa. It's difficult to see Tilse improving from where he is now, on the other hand Michael's full potential is unknown ATM but I have a sneaking suspicion he could end up an able replacement for Fat Cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.