• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Itoje is a bit of freak and probably the exception that proves the norm.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pushing the best lock in the world.. wish he was a wallaby

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My point is that in Australia he wouldnt get a gernsie at 4 or 5. He'd be considered well behind Skelton and not given a shot. He'd need to shift pronto to 6.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
My point is that in Australia he wouldnt get a gernsie at 4 or 5. He'd be considered well behind Skelton and not given a shot. He'd need to shift pronto to 6.
Itoji nope.. maybe others but not mario his too good.. but i get your point..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sorry, another epistle...

NRC round 2 - signed and potential Tahs, 2017

The three NSW teams played across three separate matches, and after a wild weekend of excess and vice I've finally caught up on the action. Again, my comments don't cover a fair enough breadth of the game to reasonably call it a match review, just a review of signed and potential Tahs in 2017.

NSW Country v Canberra - reviewing nearly the entire Eagles squad!

Paddy Ryan demolished Ala'alatoa in at least two scrums, and was handy around the park. Latu was also strong at scrum time, and was everywhere around the park though threw awfully to the lineouts - it's hard to believe with at least 6 failed throws the Eagles managed to be leading 60-nil after 60 minutes! Robertson was the perfect anchor in the scrum and Needs ran hard and tackled aggressively when he came on late in the game. Pity Fa’ainga got ten in the bin late as he has limited opportunities behind Latu, and he'll want that third hooking role. New EPS prop Needs did what he did last week, bringing big defensive hits and strong carries in limited minutes during the period of limited Eagles possession.

Hanigan was faultless backing up from what I saw as a MoM effort last week with another meat pie, lineouts steals, and playing above all opposition - though a second successive MoM might not be sealed considering the equally big games from loose forwards Rowan Perry and Sam Ward. Perry has to be in the box seat to deputise to Hooper and continually disrupted the Vikings at the breakdown while making several telling carries. Ward meanwhile is putting his hand up as a spare eighthman, though I'm not sure if he's undersized for the next level - big hits and strong carries all afternoon. Again, I didn't notice Ryan McCauley.

In the backs 2016 EPS scrummie Gordon was generally good, though I have concerns about how long he takes to pass while he gets his hands right to apply spin to the ball - this has to be addressed if he expects to hold off a potential challenge from Scott Gale. Meanwhile Deegan was nothing special at flyhalf though distributed effectively to open up some enterprising and incisive attack from Horwitz and Kellaway - and again I was hardly whelmed with Godwin at 12.

Yes, I'm the first to say Horwitz did most things right though a critical decision in defence with a player in the bin stood out like dogs balls and gifted the Vikings a try they ought to have worked harder for. Let's say he was good, though I still doubt his ability at Super Rugby level. The red terror was strong throughout the first half till he was rested to ice a bruised knee, and noting if Cam Clark is considered a fullback that a wing spot may open as the intercept sniffing speedster Alex Newsome certainly put up his hand and added a double to last week's steal. Otherwise Reece Robinson was in a lot more than last week - including an exciting try from a cross-field kick, though importantly coming off his wing to do a bit of the heavy work.

As for potential No.8s if my Taqele plan fails to execute, I did like the unsigned Vikings reserve AJ Noa who was destructive late. With the Brumbies having not signed a recognised eighthman themselves, he may be in short demand.

Rams versus Brisbane City

With Roach pulling out late, and Skelton at best showing only moments of his ability rather really dominating, I've got to admit Toleafoa really lifted his game after the previous lacklustre showing. He's in the box seat for some form of contract and showed that he wanted it this week. Meanwhile Lolohea moved his big frame effectively again, though I'm not sure if he'd fit into the next squad. Lima Sopoanga's brother Tupou was possibly the Rams best though, and again I'm not sure how or if he'd fit into the Tahs setup.

In the backs I reckon Scott Gale displayed some slick touches, and he's got very reasonable hands and indeed feet. Time will tell whether he's angling for a Tahs spot or with any other franchise though the boy has talent. He does however have the habit of taking an extra step, possibly because Asquith is standing deep, and was schooled on his tardiness by former teammate Frisby on possibly two occasions.

Rays versus Spirit

Hard to draw too much from this as the conditions were poor and I was drunk, though starting up front I'd say Fitzpatrick will be picked up fairly quickly as he continues to show the promise we were robbed of witnessing though two years of injury end three at Lyon. Miller and Wells were fairly busy in the loose, and Lucas again provided slick service and incisive running at scrumhalf.

Outside Lucas though the conditions didn't allow Simone to appear too damaging with more kicking for territory than running for possession, though Jones made himself quite useful on several occasions. Cam Clark playing his first 15s game for three years generally acquitted himself well as a fullback with reasonable positional play, though I would like to see his kicking technique addressed as he won't get full leverage from his legs by cramping his upper body (ie. he needs to lean back more like a Campo or Latham).

Bring on round 3!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I know the accepted wisdom is that Hanigan is a 6, not a lock, but I don't see that as necesarily the case.

He's playing pretty good rugby at lock in the NRC (which is where he played for aus schools), just because he's mobile and has good hands doesn't mean he has to be a backrower (see the AB's), and he seems to be pretty handy in the line-out.

I think it probably comes down to the difference between Super Rugby and test rugby. A lot of backrowers work fine as locks in Super Rugby because it generally suits the style of game.

Like Fardy or Dennis, Hanigan will be totally suitable as a lock in Super Rugby but I think his ideal position is 6 and that is where he is more likely to play if and when he plays test rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Let's hope Hegarty has a much better 2017 than 2016.

We could have really used him through the season. He would have probably been in the matchday 23 every game in 2016 and could push for a starting XV spot in 2017 if he bounces back well.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It'll be interesting to see how you blokes line up your backs.

Phipps and Foley will start in the halves, and Folau and Horne will be starting in one position or another, but I reckon you could put nearly any combination of Horwitz, Hegarty, Robinson, Naiyaravoro, Clark, Kellaway, Jones and Stewart to complement them, albeit a Kellaway, Robinson, Folau, Horne, Naiyaravoro setup would perhaps be a little light on with support for Foley.

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
Is it time to move on from phipps and foley? both have dipped in form alot. id like the tahs too sign josh holmes

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it time to move on from phipps and foley? both have dipped in form alot. id like the tahs too sign josh holmes

I don't think so. 2016 hasn't been as good for them as 2014 and 2015 but they're still in the right age bracket.

If Phipps doesn't play better in 2017 expect Matt Lucas to get more game time. Jake Gordon is also looking good.

Holmes is older and has been tried before. He's excellent at lower levels and his running game is clearly excellent but he is also lacking in several areas.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Holmes has played for the Brumbies, Force and Tahs so far and Rebels, there must be reasons why his stints at these three were all short ones.

Lucas is a wonderful passer of the ball, shame he isn't 5kg heavier.

added

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Josh played 2 or 3 games for the Rebels in 2014 following injuries to Stirzaker and Burgess as well. And he didn't get selected for the Rays this year ever.

Got 3 good halfbacks on the books already. Why bother changing that.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I reckon we will see more of Lucas next year, he plays like he is a lot more than 5kg heavier than he actually is, with Gordon getting a game or two off the bench. Next up will be Gale, think he will be playing in Shute Shield next year and could get a spot if needed by the Tahs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Taf leaving, hooker will be interesting next year. Both the starting role and backup are completely open in my view and it's really hard to separate Latu, Roach and Fitzpatrick.

Latu was ahead in 2015 but then got injured and suspended in 2016 and Roach stayed in the 23 for the remainder of the season.

Roach is having some injury issues right now and Latu is playing some pretty good footy for the Eagles.

Fitzpatrick returns as the most experienced of the three and is playing well for the Rays. He could just as easily be the first choice as he could miss the 23 altogether.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's going to be an interesting year as a fan not seeing so many of the lads running out.

I think TPN will be sorely missed and the chance of a bumpy few first rounds without him are fairly high. Not to mention what we lose out in Western Sydney with him gone.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
Fitzpatrick returns as the most experienced of the three and is playing well for the Rays. He could just as easily be the first choice as he could miss the 23 altogether.

According to the Tahs published stats:
- Latu has 32 provincial caps and toured with the Baa Baas last year
- Roach has 22 provincial caps.

- Fitzpatrick has 21 provincial caps although he is listed as earning 7 for Lyon in Pro D2 (from his wiki page).

I don't think that makes Fitzy the most experienced Super player among the three. He hasn't played Super Rugby for 3 years. That will take some adjustment as well from Pro D2.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

According to the Tahs published stats:
- Latu has 32 provincial caps and toured with the Baa Baas last year
- Roach has 22 provincial caps.

- Fitzpatrick has 21 provincial caps although he is listed as earning 7 for Lyon in Pro D2 (from his wiki page).

I don't think that makes Fitzy the most experienced Super player among the three. He hasn't played Super Rugby for 3 years. That will take some adjustment as well from Pro D2.

No he's not the most experienced Super player due to all the injuries he had when he was previously at the Tahs. He did spend 5 years contracted as a Waratah though (and was injured for about three of those years).

I am sure he has a lot more than 7 caps for Lyon though.

They were in Top 14 in 2014/15 before getting relegated and then won Pro D2 in 2015/16.

He's the oldest of the three and has been in professional rugby setups the longest.

He was very highly rated when younger before he kept doing his knee. I think he's been pretty solid in the NRC so far.

I agree getting up to speed with Super Rugby again will not necessarily be easy but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up first in the pecking order. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up third. It's really tight between the three of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.