• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm a Lucas fan, based not only on his passing skills but also his tigerish defence. Good covering technique and his front-on hits make me think of Geoff Toovey in his prime.
Weight is not a key to tackling ability.

Saw some hits last year, one of the Easts 10 and he was bringing up his breakfast from 2 weeks prior.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
There is 4 Lucas boys. Ben played for Reds, Matt the Tahs, Tom for 7's and the youngest (and most talented of the lot) is about to finish school

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
As a long time fan of Ben Lucas, I hope the Reds tie up his young bother. I would love Matt to come home soon but I've been told he is loving life as a Tah :(

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As a long time fan of Ben Lucas, I hope the Reds tie up his young bother. I would love Matt to come home soon but I've been told he is loving life as a Tah :(

And hopefully his experience at the Tahs is what will be able to draw his youngest brother (if he is the most talented of the lot it will be well worth it) to Sydney. The opportunity to play alongside his brother.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
NRC round 3 - current, potential and future Tahs

The first replay I caught was the Rays versus Qld Country, with quite a few nominees within the former.

From the front back, I'm continually impressed with Damien Fitzpatrick and whether the Tahs or Force pick him they'll get value - as long as he can stay uninjured. The other forward I watched closely was Michael Wells who played at No.8 and quite frankly played a exceptional game. We are particularly light on in this position in 2017 and while Wells build is no Lyons, or Palu (or Naiyaravoro...), he could deputise as a backup eighthman if we're unable to lure another (AJ Nua from the Vikings, perhaps).

A few more backs qualify for review from this Rays game, with scrumhalf Matt Lucas continuing his strong form and unlikely to be tested as backup to Phipps as his game management is proving to be a step ahead of Gordon and Gale (pending Eagles v Rays, of course). Simone in the centres is also undaunted at this level, and shows good hands and light feet - perhaps unlucky to be denied a try (if you believe everything Maloney and Fatcat say), and can also kick the ball a long way. Cam Clark was sound, though I'm not sure he's the quickest guy around. The more 15s he plays the less of a 7s player he'll look, the way he immediately presents the ball when on the ground regardless of the situation will have to be addressed as I'm sure it will.

Otherwise Harry Jones' effort was a real mixed bag. The first rule of wing-play is that no matter how quick you are that the touchline doesn't miss tackles, and he found the chalk thrice and panic-kicked once. No doubt he's strong, no doubt he's quick and no doubt he can kick, though he's got to give himself better options under pressure including on the attack closing in on the tryline. I'd like to see him tested under the highball too, as we need more aerial options than Folau.

I'm looking forward to catching the replay of the Eagles against Melbourne Rising tomorrow, with both teams enjoying a wealth of Super Rugby experience. The red terror sat out this one, though there's plenty other players with Tahs links that I'll cover otherwise.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
NRC round 3 - current, potential and future Tahs

The first replay I caught was the Rays versus Qld Country, with quite a few nominees within the former.

From the front back, I'm continually impressed with Damien Fitzpatrick and whether the Tahs or Force pick him they'll get value - as long as he can stay uninjured. The other forward I watched closely was Michael Wells who played at No.8 and quite frankly played a exceptional game. We are particularly light on in this position in 2017 and while Wells build is no Lyons, or Palu (or Naiyaravoro.), he could deputise as a backup eighthman if we're unable to lure another (AJ Nua from the Vikings, perhaps).

A few more backs qualify for review from this Rays game, with scrumhalf Matt Lucas continuing his strong form and unlikely to be tested as backup to Phipps as his game management is proving to be a step ahead of Gordon and Gale (pending Eagles v Rays, of course). Simone in the centres is also undaunted at this level, and shows good hands and light feet - perhaps unlucky to be denied a try (if you believe everything Maloney and Fatcat say), and can also kick the ball a long way. Cam Clark was sound, though I'm not sure he's the quickest guy around. The more 15s he plays the less of a 7s player he'll look, the way he immediately presents the ball when on the ground regardless of the situation will have to be addressed as I'm sure it will.

Otherwise Harry Jones' effort was a real mixed bag. The first rule of wing-play is that no matter how quick you are that the touchline doesn't miss tackles, and he found the chalk thrice and panic-kicked once. No doubt he's strong, no doubt he's quick and no doubt he can kick, though he's got to give himself better options under pressure including on the attack closing in on the tryline. I'd like to see him tested under the highball too, as we need more aerial options than Folau.

I'm looking forward to catching the replay of the Eagles against Melbourne Rising tomorrow, with both teams enjoying a wealth of Super Rugby experience. The red terror sat out this one, though there's plenty other players with Tahs links that I'll cover otherwise.

I remember the commentators saying that Fitzpatrick was committed to the Tahs. Don't know how accurate the statement is.

Wells is signed by the Tahs isn't he? Another that would be worth a look in is Sam Ward from NSW Country.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
OFF TOPIC NEWS FLASH

Just giving you lot the heads up it's going to be announced that there will be a Waratahs v Brumbies pre-season match up here in God's country (Mudgee) on February 4th. I know a lot of what's been going on behind the scenes and if it's successful it's hoped to be an annual fixture.

We have one of the best, if not the best, sporting facilities in regional NSW up here (Glen Willow) in terms of both the pitch and the infrastructure. The club has been pitching for NRC games but because we are in the same zone as Orange we haven't been able to win over the powers. So this is a massive coup from our point of view.

So, if I were you lot I'd starting putting your feet on some rooms. And for you cyclists, pack those too, there are some great rides up here. And of course I'll be picking the venue for the GAGR pre/post match drinks :D

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
OFF TOPIC NEWS FLASH

Just giving you lot the heads up it's going to be announced that there will be a Waratahs v Brumbies pre-season match up here in God's country (Mudgee) on February 4th. I know a lot of what's been going on behind the scenes and if it's successful it's hoped to be an annual fixture.

We have one of the best, if not the best, sporting facilities in regional NSW up here (Glen Willow) in terms of both the pitch and the infrastructure. The club has been pitching for NRC games but because we are in the same zone as Orange we haven't been able to win over the powers. So this is a massive coup from our point of view.

So, if I were you lot I'd starting putting your feet on some rooms. And for you cyclists, pack those too, there are some great rides up here. And of course I'll be picking the venue for the GAGR pre/post match drinks :D

Bugger! Already booked in to go to a wedding. Sounds like a fantastic weekend away from the big smoke.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
OFF TOPIC NEWS FLASH

Oooh, I think I might have to be in!! Wine!!!!!!! Rugby!!!!!! Cycling!!!!!

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Country Eagles v Melbourne Rising

An array of present, future and potential Tahs on parade at Tamworth, and local boy Paddy Ryan after dishing it up over Ala'alatoa last week was brought back to earth by Metcher this week. The Eagles had the same pack configuration so you've got to wonder about Paddy's turn of form, he didn't particularly feature around the park either. Maybe his studs were too short.

Tolu Latu was strong, doing everything you expect of a hooker but with the strength and enthusiasm of a player that can play at a higher level. I still detect a rich vein of niggle, and he remains a penalty and yellow card risk.

Tom Robertson's work ethic continues to impress, he left at halftime to catch a flight to Perth via Sydney to join the Wallabies though his GPS will show he covered a lot of miles in just 40 minutes. Seems to well deserve the next big thing tag, strong at the set piece and very mobile.

I'm going to reserve judgement on replacement Sam Needs till next week when he'll no doubt start for Robertson, I'm noticing him dodging the dirty work to defend around flyhalf in order to blindside the first runner - when he hits it hurts (round one especially), though when he misses someone else has to cover the next ruck.

Ned Hanigan - Rocky Elsom (again).

Ryan McCauley - yeah, I noticed him this week. Made two solid tackles when he came on late, though needs more time on the park to prove himself. Buchanan is being preferred to date.

Sam Figg - deserved MoM, former sevens player and currently Super Rugby unaligned, he could sneak a loose forward spot at the Tahs if Wells ends up as backup eighthman rather than blindside.

Rowan Perry - not as dominant at the breakdown than against BC or CV, though still very effective over the ball. Most likely backup option to the indestructible Hooper.

Jake Gordon - butchered a try attempting a fancy pants flickpass when he had an open tryline early on, though was creditable if not dominant otherwise. Probably has the inside running for the 3rd squad scrumhalf.

Andrew Deegan - kicked well off the tee which was ultimately the difference. I'd prefer him as Foley's backup over Horwitz, though that's no big deal. He doesn't challenge the line enough, though provides pretty decent service to the outside backs.

David Horwitz - I've said it all before. Flat track bully.

Reece Robinson - needs to get more involved, this is only NRC and he hardly needs to pack a towel. Nothing bad, just no world-beater.

Again, the starting squad built a good lead (32-8) only to see the ressies let in 3 unanswered tries for a 32-30 finish. 60-0 ended up 60-28 the week before too, they need to sort it out before they get to the finals.

I haven't caught the Rams game yet, so I'll reserve Toleafoa and Gale ratings for now. Bring on round 4, with Eagles v Rays the pick of the bunch with Dempsey coming back for the latter. You'll see around 15 Tahs of 2017 getting around, and with both teams undefeated it'll be a cracker!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good review as always.

I thought Jake Gordon was already contracted (or presumably will be). He seems to still be involved in various Tahs activities assuming that they aren't just recycling old photos. I'd assume that Phipps, Lucas and Gordon are locked away as our three halfbacks.

I definitely think this is the best rugby Dave Horwitz has played during his career thus far and hopefully it's a sign that he's stepping up rather than just being better at a lower level. I certainly don't think he's played as well as this in the NRC before.

I agree with you on Reece Robinson. He just isn't doing enough for me and I think he needs to improve if he wants to stay in the 23 next year for the Tahs. He would be our fastest winger but his defensive work isn't adequate at this stage and he doesn't get involved enough.

I think you're wrong about Tom Robertson. His GPS would have racked up more miles in the second 40 minutes on the way to the airport. :D

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
2017 draw is out and its done us no favours at all. We've got a very hard first half and conceivably could be out of the finals by the halfway point.
  • Start with the Force at home, bank that one I think.
  • We play the Lions and Sharks away (early) and could lose both those games; certainly the Lions is unlikely. (Later we get the Jaguares and Kings at home. That's pretty much the opposite of what you want.)
  • After the Sharks we have Brumbies (H), Rebels (A), Crusaders (H) and Hurricanes (A) before the Easter bye. Realistically we could be three from seven at the half way point.
  • Kings (H), Reds (A), Blues (H) I'd hope would be three wins, but could just as easily be two losses. If it is two losses then I think we are gone from the finals. Then the second bye.
  • Rebels (H) then Highlanders (A) and Chiefs (A). Likely two losses before the international window.
  • Jaguares (H) and Force (A) to finish with a flourish.
Overall, seven or eight from fifteen and we miss the finals. 2016 deja vue. To prevent that disaster we need to play well ahead of expectations. I reckon our scrum will destroy a lot of teams next year, but correspondingly I reckon our lineout will be very vulnerable.
Foley will be exhausted after two years without an off-season so I hope Hegarty comes back from Japan fit and ready to go. I don't rate Horwitz so we can only hope. And Folau looks totally jaded already and the hard part of the international season is just starting. Somewhere he needs a rest (mentally especially).
Everything will depend on how our non-internationals rise to the occasion. If they come on well we'll have a huge year, if they don't then we'll probably know our fate by May.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Hegarty is playing in Japan through the offseason. He's only just returned to running after his knee reconstruction.

Foley will actually get an off-season this year won't he?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think Hegarty is playing in Japan through the offseason. He's only just returned to running after his knee reconstruction.

Foley will actually get an off-season this year won't he?

I understood that Foley was playing two years in Japan, but I have been wrong before.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I was very impressed with Simone on the weekend. I'm leaning towards him being elevated straight into the starting side much like Alofa Alofa was in 2014.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I understood that Foley was playing two years in Japan, but I have been wrong before.

He can play two years in Japan but I don't think the intent is that they are consecutive.

I'd guess he has an offseason this year and then plays in Japan again at the end of 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.