• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
2017 draw is out and its done us no favours at all. We've got a very hard first half and conceivably could be out of the finals by the halfway point.
  • Start with the Force at home, bank that one I think.
  • We play the Lions and Sharks away (early) and could lose both those games; certainly the Lions is unlikely. (Later we get the Jaguares and Kings at home. That's pretty much the opposite of what you want.)
  • After the Sharks we have Brumbies (H), Rebels (A), Crusaders (H) and Hurricanes (A) before the Easter bye. Realistically we could be three from seven at the half way point.
  • Kings (H), Reds (A), Blues (H) I'd hope would be three wins, but could just as easily be two losses. If it is two losses then I think we are gone from the finals. Then the second bye.
  • Rebels (H) then Highlanders (A) and Chiefs (A). Likely two losses before the international window.
  • Jaguares (H) and Force (A) to finish with a flourish.
Overall, seven or eight from fifteen and we miss the finals. 2016 deja vue. To prevent that disaster we need to play well ahead of expectations. I reckon our scrum will destroy a lot of teams next year, but correspondingly I reckon our lineout will be very vulnerable.

Foley will be exhausted after two years without an off-season so I hope Hegarty comes back from Japan fit and ready to go. I don't rate Horwitz so we can only hope. And Folau looks totally jaded already and the hard part of the international season is just starting. Somewhere he needs a rest (mentally especially).
Everything will depend on how our non-internationals rise to the occasion. If they come on well we'll have a huge year, if they don't then we'll probably know our fate by May.

One point in our favour: Round three we play the Sharks at Durban BUT it will be after they have flown back from Australia, having just played the Reds and Brumbies. Hopefully we'll have some travel fatigue advantage.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Round 4 - Sydney Rays versus Country Eagles

Several current, future and potential Tahs on display at Pittwater Park, and even with Tom Robertson on Wallaby duty and Kellaway and presumably Angus Ta'Avao, Jack Dempsey and Harry Jones unavailable due to injury there's still a stack of players to report on - per position and regardless of team. I will mention Hoffman as ref needs to get some fitness under his belt, his struggle to talk at each interruption was a little comical.

Paddy Ryan again didn't recreate the form he showed in the Vikings game though he at least seems comfortable as captain managing the referee (perhaps as Hoffman struggled to talk). Simone smoked him on the outside early on - so much so he seemed to be jogging, because he was. If you're not prepared to chase the centres, stay out of there son.

Sam Needs might've been given the tip to play tighter this week given the Rays consistently effective forward dominated play, and while he didn't stand out he was present at most breakdowns and prepared to put the effort in. He'll be down the pecking order at the Tahs next season, though will benefit greatly from the conditioning and scrummaging drills he'll be subjected to when preseason starts.

Tola Latu - big carries, big hits, winning turnovers and scrummaging well. 10 minutes in the bin. No surprises here. He played a different game to Fitzpatrick, and won on points.

Damien Fitzpatrick continues his strong showing, and while unable to physically match Latu he's constantly involved and carries more than most forwards. I still cannot find anything to suggest he's signed for the Super Rugby season, though with form and fitness on his side he'd be a decent acquisition.

Folau Fainga'a has spent more time in the bin than on the field, and his prospects as 3rd Waratah hooker depends upon what happens with Fitzpatrick. Hard to rate him when you don't see much of him.

Ned Hanigan - even Rocky Elsom had his quiet days. Big cleanout of Scott Fardy early, a couple of lineout steals and hitting the breakdown hard - what we've come to expect, you can't fault this guy.

Ryan McCauley - not enough time to make a real impact. Probably too lean to start with Hanigan, so Buchanan remains preferred as he has some bulk to hit rucks harder.

Sam Figg was probably not as dominant as the last 2 weeks though he was lining up against Scott Fardy. Put Robinson away for a try after a long linebreak, effective in the lineout and gets around the park better than most thanks to sevens conditioning. Potential.

Rowan Perry played a reasonable game though gave away a couple of penalties, and lost the pill on a potential counter-attack. Continues to do great work over the ball, and likes to take on the defence with ball in hand.

Michael Wells - there want much between him and Sam Ward, he'd benefit from another 5cm and 5kg but he's looking like a reasonable backup to Holloway as the Tahs eighthman.

Matt Lucas passed typically well off the ground, tackled like a terrier and even threw himself at a ruck he couldn't (or didn't want to) gather the ball from - I think he realises the threat to the pecking order from Gordon (currently unsigned, I believe) and he worked hard to lead his team around the park. I do think he was outplayed, as the Eagles dominant pack gave Gordon a better platform.

Jake Gordon, though having the better platform actually showed a great long passing game on both sides, and an impressive turn of speed. Phil Waugh alluded to him being a key to the future of the Tahs, so perhaps his signing is a formality.

Andrew Deegan was reasonable, though unforgivably kicked a penalty kick for touch dead in goal with the scores at 22-16. The kid can play, though I'm unconvinced that he has the turn of speed and instinct for the sniff of a defensive weakness that a player like Foley has.

Irea Simone is a very good acquisition, and certainly has the size to make it in Super Rugby. Great feet, acceleration, awareness and passing game makes him a good chance of playing 12 at a higher level, which he did for the first time this season for the Rays in this game. Again, potential that needs a big preseason to sharpen strength, speed and mind - and he could be anything.

I'm not sure of how starting at outside centre does much to promote David Horwitz to coach Gibson. While Godwin has been effective in defence (though nothing special in attack) at 12, I guess the preference for Godwin is recognition of Horwitz's poor front-on defence - but he's nothing special in 13 either. Until he beats a man or breaks a tackle out wide, he's going to be forgotten quickly - I didn't even notice him for the first twenty and had to check the team sheet to confirm he was out there.

Reece Robinson will get credit for two tries, though should receive equal criticism for butchering two others - especially a bread and butter one-on-one failure off a great Gordon long pass. He was certainly more involved this week, though I don't feel he's likely to win us too many games at Super Rugby level.

Cam Clark was fairly quiet on the wing, and left try field after an awkward collision with team mate Scott Fardy. Just like Horwitz needs to be closer to the action, Clark needs to be at fullback if we're to understand his potential.

These two teams should easily lock away a finals spot each, with the Eagles looking the clear favourites with 3 games to go before sudden-death footy. They didn't allow unanswered points late in the game this week, which was the blemish on the big wins over CV and MR. With the Spirit, Rams and QLD Country to come, only a kiss of death stands between them and a home final in week one of the playoffs.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
gw, why don't you cut and paste this excellent report and put it over on the match thread.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Damien Fitzpatrick continues his strong showing, and while unable to physically match Latu he's constantly involved and carries more than most forwards. I still cannot find anything to suggest he's signed for the Super Rugby season, though with form and fitness on his side he'd be a decent acquisition.

The video preview with Paddy Ryan and Matt Lucas talked about two Waratahs contracted hookers going head to head. I know there hasn't been an official announcement but I think you can take it as confirmed that Fitzpatrick is a Waratah in 2017.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
There's also a foxsports article about him that refers to him as a waratah

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Nah I back him, he played union juniors, he's a big unit with some shadow of talent. His career died with the terrible coaching and environment at Gold Coast and Penrith. Only saw an article about him this morning, that's why I mention it. I'm just praying it isn't Fifita.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Idris' career died because he is overweight and lazy (for a professional footballer) and clearly hasn't been in the right condition for years.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Idris: Mr Wiki says he played all his junior football in league and that he's a centre not a forward.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Switched between 2nd row and centre, started his football in juniors (not reps) in Penrith before swithcing to league

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A bunch of articles are reporting that Wests Tigers have made him an offer.

may as well piss off a few more rugby boys by bringing in an overpriced mungo

He could be overpriced (because he could be awful) but you can guarantee he won't be expensive.

He took a year out from the NRL after a couple of awful seasons. The guy is definitely a price taker in his next contract deal.

No NRL team will be offering him big money.

Status
Not open for further replies.