• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
HOLD UP! HOLD UP!

Please let it be Tepai Moeroa

Surely he's the Eels best player now and worth much more in the NRL than Super Rugby.

Let's hope it is a nothing rumour created by a player who is looking to boost their next NRL contract.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are obviously a few more players to lock down contract-wise but are there likely to be many spots still open (if everyone they want is re-signed)?

We must be pretty close to the full complement.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
As a complete aside - I think David Klemmer would be a great lock in rugby, providing he can be taught to jump.

Then again, Skelton never really learnt to jump.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
As a complete aside - I think David Klemmer would be a great lock in rugby, providing he can be taught to jump.

Then again, Skelton never really learnt to jump.

But surely Skelton isn't considered a great lock.

However I agree that David Klemmer could be very good. He certainly would bring physicality into the team

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
But surely Skelton isn't considered a great lock.

However I agree that David Klemmer could be very good. He certainly would bring physicality into the team

I don't disagree, but 'great' is a pretty elastic term. The bloke plays test matches, someone must consider him 'great'.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
just a bit of fun mate - no offence intended

No no, you're right. It just made me sad.

Skelton's career thus far is entirely based around 2 excellent games - the Tahs V Lions game, and his debut against that rubbish French team.

I hope he discovers his consistency before the international part of his career is lost.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No no, you're right. It just made me sad.

Skelton's career thus far is entirely based around 2 excellent games - the Tahs V Lions game, and his debut against that rubbish French team.

I hope he discovers his consistency before the international part of his career is lost.

I don't think that is really accurate. 2016 has been a step back for him after injury at the 2015 and he needs to improve on plenty of things but he is still there or there abouts. The reality is he offers something most of our locks don't and lock has been a real weakness for us at test level for quite some time.

Of the starting Super Rugby locks in 2016, there are about 8 that have played test rugby (Jones and Timani at 6 and 8).

It looks like we are moving towards a more settled and stronger lock combination at test level with Coleman and Arnold really emerging and Skelton is down the pecking order now but I think he will stay there or there abouts for some time.

We have had a whole heap of locks who have had an opportunity at test level because other players haven't been good enough or consistent enough.

It seems like Coleman is the first player in a very long time to really grasp that opportunity with both hands.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Like your NRC? Want a doubleheader including top-4 sides clashing, and the possibility of behemoths Skelton and Thorn colliding? Want to see current, future and potential Tahs on display? Even potential Wallabies??!

Then look no further than Concord Oval this Saturday afternoon, with the high-flying Eagles v Perth Spirit game moved from Orange due to the deluge, followed by the Western Sydney Rams up against Qld Country.

I'll be packing up at least half the family and heading down the freeway for my annual fix of NRC - and I get 2 games for my troubles. Should be the norm, not the exception!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Like your NRC? Want a doubleheader including top-4 sides clashing, and the possibility of behemoths Skelton and Thorn colliding? Want to see current, future and potential Tahs on display? Even potential Wallabies??!

Then look no further than Concord Oval this Saturday afternoon, with the high-flying Eagles v Perth Spirit game moved from Orange due to the deluge, followed by the Western Sydney Rams up against Qld Country.

I'll be packing up at least half the family and heading down the freeway for my annual fix of NRC - and I get 2 games for my troubles. Should be the norm, not the exception!

Maybe this is where the mythical NRC marketing budget is going - stealth forum posters ;)

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Review - Eagles v Spirit - current, future and potential Tahs

It's a few years since I've been to Concord, and probably a few years since the state government provided funding for upkeep - the pitch looked in poor condition and the grounds aren't fairing much better. Maybe the plan is to let the white elephant slowly die, though it seems such a waste. I remember a few Sydney RU grand finals back in the early 90s - Campo blitzing the Rats, and Highlanders getting over George Gregan's Canberra Kookaburras in the wet both stand out as fond memories. Enough with the self-indulgent nostalgia, on to the game! I've given myself the benefit of the replay as you inevitably miss things at the ground when there's no replay facility.

Paddy Ryan without fringe Wallabies Latu and Robertson got dished up early, however the front row settled and was dominant for most of the match. I remember a young Paddy Ryan pumping his legs and running through walls leading to an early test debut, and it's against that standard I mark him otherwise I'd probably be saying he's got a load of potential if he can carry more directly and tear a few faces off at the breakdown. Paddy found himself in the centres on attack this week after Irea Simone smoked him out there last week, and seeing him not step inside to take a front on impact in preference to being hit on an angle and losing the collision was frustrating - again, stay out of the centres son!

Folau Fainga'a, for the third time this season was in the bin within 10 minutes of getting on the field. While there's conjecture Fitzpatrick has the 3rd hooking contract, I'm still not convinced he's put pen to paper so Fainga'a would do himself a favour to spend less time in the naughty chair. Deputising for Latu he otherwise played a reasonably solid game, he was accurate in the lineout and spent a lot of time at the breakdown - I'm looking forward to seeing more of him next week.

Sam Needs struggled a little early though came back strong, he's playing tighter though made a couple of decent runs one off. A lot more fitness and a little scrum coaching won't hurt over the summer months as 12 months from now he may want a back tight-head spot vacated by Ta'Avao.

Ned Hanigan - refer last report, and the one before that, ad nauseum. He's going to push for a starting spot at the Tahs at this rate, and could be a bolter for the November tour.

It looks as though Sam Figg has committed to the sevens program, so that opens up either a flanker or an eighthman spot for Sam Ward or sevens star Tom Cusack. Both seemed to have stints of energy and enthusiasm, then disappear for a bit, with the latter probably more useful on the day than the former. Both formed part of a strong pack though, and should have 3 or 4 more hitouts to show their potential.

Rowan Perry came on late, I'm not sure by he was benched this week though if we don't resign him I bet the Force do as they're losing Alcock to the Brumbies. He's a quality 7, and has benefitted from the professional environment at the Tahs.

Could Tim Buchanan be a smokey for a locking gig? He's played a different role to Hanigan this series which has been generally reliable. I'm not sure what he's doing south of the Tweed though he's getting plenty of game time to make a claim to play somewhere.

Jake Gordon - yep, he'll do me. Should be starting Tahs scrummie within 2 years, and another smokey for the November tour. Scored three and setup two - absolutely on fire! Showed electric pace early to smoke team-mate Godwin after a kick to open spaces, and showed a calm head after a great midfield break to flick outside to setup
Godwin for another. Meanwhile Andrew Deegan came off the bench and was reasonable, though would be happy to have already signed considering Tayler Adams had a great game at flyhalf and has a wonderful boot. Adams went into scrummie, though I didn't see the potential player of the series depart so fingers crossed Flash Gordon was only rested.

David Horwitz had some very good touches and some pretty ordinary too. Granted he doesn't play at 13 often, though he's got to learn that cutout passes that wide allow defenders to shuffle onto the winger who by that stage is marked by the best defender (aka the sideline) whereas quick-hands commits defenders and promotes overlaps. To his credit threw 2 slick passes in the lead up to tries including a great inside ball while he was getting dragged down.

Reece Robinson on the wing did winger stuff, including a couple of mid-field runs that we haven't seen much of to date. He's getting better at rugby finesse, though doesn't have the size to shake of defenders nor break down walls. Alex Newsome on the other wing continues to have good involvement and could press for the vacant outside back opening on a development contract - though the same size considerations apply. Meanwhile I'm not sure when the ginger ninja returns to fullback, though Gus Roberts has been reasonable in his absence.

I'll review the Rams game later, again I'd prefer the advantage of seeing the replay in order not to miss anything significant.

Edit: one thing about Hanigan, he's got to be careful cover-defending as I've spotted him a few times throwing an arm over the attacking player's shoulder to drag him down ball-and-all which is subject to penalty interpretation depending on how the players fall. And another thing, Tayler Adams is apparently a Kiwi - but the kid can play.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Taylor Adams had a massive Jekyll and Hyde day out, but considering I had no idea who he was I definitely noticed him. 10/9s are rare is Aussie rugby, so good to see.

Also, gowaraths, I believe Perry is an ACT product and not from the Tahs.

I disagree re: Fainga'a, whilst he executed his core tasks admirably his discipline is just unacceptable for a step up. Needs more time to focus on the right things.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also, gowaraths, I believe Perry is an ACT product and not from the Tahs.

He's from Alstonville in Northern NSW.

He played with the Brumbies in under 20s before moving to the Tahs last season where he was part of the development squad or whatever it is.

Hopefully he snags an EPS contract with the Tahs as he is definitely a promising player. He was outstanding for Eastern Suburbs in the Shute Shield this year and has been excellent in the NRC.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Review - Eagles v Spirit - current, future and potential Tahs

It's a few years since I've been to Concord, and probably a few years since the state government provided funding for upkeep - the pitch looked in poor condition and the grounds aren't fairing much better. Maybe the plan is to let the white elephant slowly die, though it seems such a waste. I remember a few Sydney RU grand finals back in the early 90s - Campo blitzing the Rats, and Highlanders getting over George Gregan's Canberra Kookaburras in the wet both stand out as fond memories. Enough with the self-indulgent nostalgia, on to the game! I've given myself the benefit of the replay as you inevitably miss things at the ground when there's no replay facility.

Paddy Ryan without fringe Wallabies Latu and Robertson got dished up early, however the front row settled and was dominant for most of the match. I remember a young Paddy Ryan pumping his legs and running through walls leading to an early test debut, and it's against that standard I mark him otherwise I'd probably be saying he's got a load of potential if he can carry more directly and tear a few faces off at the breakdown. Paddy found himself in the centres on attack this week after Irea Simone smoked him out there last week, and seeing him not step inside to take a front on impact in preference to being hit on an angle and losing the collision was frustrating - again, stay out of the centres son!

Folau Fainga'a, for the third time this season was in the bin within 10 minutes of getting on the field. While there's conjecture Fitzpatrick has the 3rd hooking contract, I'm still not convinced he's put pen to paper so Fainga'a would do himself a favour to spend less time in the naughty chair. Deputising for Latu he otherwise played a reasonably solid game, he was accurate in the lineout and spent a lot of time at the breakdown - I'm looking forward to seeing more of him next week.

Sam Needs struggled a little early though came back strong, he's playing tighter though made a couple of decent runs one off. A lot more fitness and a little scrum coaching won't hurt over the summer months as 12 months from now he may want a back tight-head spot vacated by Ta'Avao.

Ned Hanigan - refer last report, and the one before that, ad nauseum. He's going to push for a starting spot at the Tahs at this rate, and could be a bolter for the November tour.

It looks as though Sam Figg has committed to the sevens program, so that opens up either a flanker or an eighthman spot for Sam Ward or sevens star Tom Cusack. Both seemed to have stints of energy and enthusiasm, then disappear for a bit, with the latter probably more useful on the day than the former. Both formed part of a strong pack though, and should have 3 or 4 more hitouts to show their potential.

Rowan Perry came on late, I'm not sure by he was benched this week though if we don't resign him I bet the Force do as they're losing Alcock to the Brumbies. He's a quality 7, and has benefitted from the professional environment at the Tahs.

Could Tim Buchanan be a smokey for a locking gig? He's played a different role to Hanigan this series which has been generally reliable. I'm not sure what he's doing south of the Tweed though he's getting plenty of game time to make a claim to play somewhere.

Jake Gordon - yep, he'll do me. Should be starting Tahs scrummie within 2 years, and another smokey for the November tour. Scored three and setup two - absolutely on fire! Showed electric pace early to smoke team-mate Godwin after a kick to open spaces, and showed a calm head after a great midfield break to flick outside to setup
Godwin for another. Meanwhile Andrew Deegan came off the bench and was reasonable, though would be happy to have already signed considering Tayler Adams had a great game at flyhalf and has a wonderful boot. Adams went into scrummie, though I didn't see the potential player of the series depart so fingers crossed Flash Gordon was only rested.

David Horwitz had some very good touches and some pretty ordinary too. Granted he doesn't play at 13 often, though he's got to learn that cutout passes that wide allow defenders to shuffle onto the winger who by that stage is marked by the best defender (aka the sideline) whereas quick-hands commits defenders and promotes overlaps. To his credit threw 2 slick passes in the lead up to tries including a great inside ball while he was getting dragged down.

Reece Robinson on the wing did winger stuff, including a couple of mid-field runs that we haven't seen much of to date. He's getting better at rugby finesse, though doesn't have the size to shake of defenders nor break down walls. Alex Newsome on the other wing continues to have good involvement and could press for the vacant outside back opening on a development contract - though the same size considerations apply. Meanwhile I'm not sure when the ginger ninja returns to fullback, though Gus Roberts has been reasonable in his absence.

I'll review the Rams game later, again I'd prefer the advantage of seeing the replay in order not to miss anything significant.

Edit: one thing about Hanigan, he's got to be careful cover-defending as I've spotted him a few times throwing an arm over the attacking player's shoulder to drag him down ball-and-all which is subject to penalty interpretation depending on how the players fall. And another thing, Tayler Adams is apparently a Kiwi - but the kid can play.

Thanks Mate - great review - cant see what Buchanan delivers. Cant recall much otherwise the others are spot on. Hanigan for the Wobblies methinks.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Hanigan's no doubt got a bright future (I can easily see him playing in gold 6 in the next two years) but he has to nail down a Tahs spot first.

Status
Not open for further replies.