• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
While I'm a massive Taf fan, it's probably a blessing in disguise
If he had been back at the Tahs, at least one, possibly two of Roach, Latu and Fitzpatrick would have drifted off. These guys are the future, now they will be competing for the 1 & 2 spots in the Tahs line-up, with the third getting a chance whenever there's an injury

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I doubt you'd find a fan with a longer or more passionate commitment to the Tahs than ShtinaTina (apart from myself :D), especially where Taf's concerned. And I can confirm she has a marvellous sense of humour.

Fans like ST and I NEVER boo.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I doubt you'd find a fan with a longer or more passionate commitment to the Tahs than ShtinaTina (apart from myself :D), especially where Taf's concerned. And I can confirm she has a marvellous sense of humour.

Fans like ST and I NEVER boo.

I've never booed. I've sworn, despaired and walked off in frustration but never booed.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
oh - a fan without a sense of humour and a short memory.

we've booed our own team for crying out loud.

No no, I have a sense of humour & my memory is in perfect working order.

I remember other "fans" boo-ing our team, but I did not, nor will I ever.

Strange version of "supporting" our team by boo-ing them, but everyone is allowed to do it their own way.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Why haven't the Tahs signed Dave Lolohea yet? He's called into the Wallabies squad, he had a cracking NRC and the Tahs are still down two props from last season.
Yeh I was puzzled before his wallaby selection why he has not been picked up as not only was he part of the big reason Rams has the most dominant scrum in nrc comp but also had excellent work rate.

Sign him up I say as would love to see where he could go with 12 months professional environment under his belt.

Could to see at least his nrc form been at least recognised for emerging wallabies selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Why haven't the Tahs signed Dave Lolohea yet? He's called into the Wallabies squad, he had a cracking NRC and the Tahs are still down two props from last season.
Ryan - tighthead playing loosehead
Kepu - tighthead
Robertson - tighthead
Ta'Avao - tighthead
Sandell - tighthead
Needs - tighthead

Lolohea as another tighthead might find himself as a development player at best, though may miss out to Rams' teammate Matt Gibbon, or the Rays' Rory O'Connor - or some young gun from the 20s.

I'm pretty sure he's had some involvement with the Tahs before, maybe 4-5 years ago?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ryan - tighthead playing loosehead
Kepu - tighthead
Robertson - tighthead
Ta'Avao - tighthead
Sandell - tighthead
Needs - tighthead

Lolohea as another tighthead might find himself as a development player at best, though may miss out to Rams' teammate Matt Gibbon, or the Rays' Rory O'Connor - or some young gun from the 20s.

I'm pretty sure he's had some involvement with the Tahs before, maybe 4-5 years ago?

Don't be a goose mate.

Ryan - finally found some form as a 1
Kepu - utility but mostly 3
Roberston - seen as a 1 by the Wallabies and the Tahs need 1s so obviously a 1
Ta'avao - 3
Sandell - 3
Needs - 3

It'll also add that Sandell has a frame that is typical of a 1, and even Needs or Lolohea could be cross-trained.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sandell had a bad 2016 with a variety of unspecified injuries keeping him out of Shute Shield Rugby for much of the Season. He will also need to put a bit more bulk on if he desires to be a starting Super Rugby Prop as he didn't look as physically dominating relatively speaking as I recall him from his Schoolboy footy days.

"Young gun from the U20's"? All the State U20 props spent most of the year playing Colts Footy when not on U20 Duties, A couple had a cameo appearance or two in Grade footy. Johnson-Holmes and Chapman are eligible for U20 again in 2017. They are not ready to be playing against seasoned Pro players and won't be for another couplke of years.
None of them pleyed NRC IIRC this year.

O'Connor and Gibbon would have to be considered better short term options, although when he matures Johnson-Holmes will be a force to be reckoned with in the Pot Plant department

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Ta'avao has followed Ryan over to the LH side, he played a few games there for the Tahs this year. ATM the Tahs prop pecking order looks like this:

LHP Ryan, Ta'avao then Robertson.
THP Kepu, Robertson then Ta'avao, this'll probably swap around in 2017 to Robertson then Kepu (medical studies not withstanding).

Sandell and Needs didn't mark any impression in 2016. But a careful examination of the prop stocks at the Tahs hints at a shortage of LHPs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
2017 NSW Waratahs 36-man squad
Props
Sekope Kepu* - new signing / re-signed
Sam Needs – new signing, supplementary squad
Tom Robertson* - re-signed in 2016
Paddy Ryan* - re-signed in 2016
Matt Sandell – re-signed in 2016, promoted from extended playing squad to full contract
Angus Ta’avao

Hookers
Damien Fitzpatrick – new signing / re-signed
Tolu Latu*
Hugh Roach – re-signed in 2016
Locks
Ned Hanigan
Ryan McCauley – extended playing squad
Dean Mumm*
Will Skelton*
Senio Toleafoa – promoted from supplementary to extended playing squad
One to be announced