• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
To support early comments about the importance of extensive skill practice, Brad Haddin commented last week that in his time in first class cricket (nearly 20 years) he had never seen a player spend as much time in the nets or hit as many balls as Steve Smith. For those who don't follow cricket, Smith now has a batting average of just under 61, which makes him about the third highest of all time among players with in excess of 50 tests.
As the great golfer Gary Player once commented 'the more I practice, the luckier I get'!

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
To support early comments about the importance of extensive skill practice, Brad Haddin commented last week that in his time in first class cricket (nearly 20 years) he had never seen a player spend as much time in the nets or hit as many balls as Steve Smith. For those who don't follow cricket, Smith now has a batting average of just under 61, which makes him about the third highest of all time among players with in excess of 50 tests.
As the great golfer Gary Player once commented 'the more I practice, the luckier I get'!

It's not a new concept. I remember hearing stories of the late great Greg Davis working on his own, long after training had finished, honing his skills.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Jonny Wilkinson was well known for his training regime with goal kicking - every single day regardless of weather he would practice. I read that when Deans coached the Crusaders he would stay out on the field with Dan Carter practicing kicks after all the other players had gone into the change rooms as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Don Bradman said it. I think a few pretty handy practitioners of various sports have said it.

Smith started out as a leg spinner who could bat a bit. So hard work does pay off, for sure.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Smith started out as a leg spinner who could bat a bit. So hard work does pay off, for sure.

Only in the eyes of the Australian selectors looking for the next Shane Warne.

He always considered himself a batsman and that was his focus but was happy to get a chance in the test side however he could.

It wasn't long until he gave up most of the practice on the bowling to purely focus on his batting.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
This might be slightly controversial but having read that Lima Sopoaga's brother has just joined the Highlanders squad after being one of the better NRC players, wouldn't the Waratahs have been much better served signing him or Tyrone Viliga than a Michael Wells or Brad Wilkin based ability?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
think wells and wilkins were already signed. full house pre NRC. by the time the NRC finished, teams were just about settled so standouts would get a call up to join training tops unless a team specifically had a spot to fill. eg- Force with naisarani and newsome. After NRC, sopoaga went and did ITM cup well back home.

L.D

Stan Wickham (3)
Keen to see the reshuffled backline tonight lads! I think Horne will be rock solid at outside and Izzy will feel a lot more comfortable injecting himself at fullback especially with Bernard at flyhalf. Also excited for Jake Gordon to provide some decent service for once.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Keen to see the reshuffled backline tonight lads! I think Horne will be rock solid at outside and Izzy will feel a lot more comfortable injecting himself at fullback especially with Bernard at flyhalf. Also excited for Jake Gordon to provide some decent service for once.
A little shaky at times, especially the first half, but I think all those premonitions were fulfilled to an extent

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Was always going to happen I reckon. He's never been able to bring his schoolboy/U20s dominance to this level but he's still only young. He might lack confidence but that will come, he rarely makes a mistake and is precisely the type of player who should be getting developed for the top level.

EDIT: by 'mistake' I'm talking about handling errors etc, as opposed to execution, misreads etc.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)

I not convinced about Gordon. I thought his service was a little sloppy and improved when Phipps came on. Jake doesn't get the freedom in Super rugby that he used so well in NRC. Foley was the difference last night

L.D

Stan Wickham (3)
I not convinced about Gordon. I thought his service was a little sloppy and improved when Phipps came on. Jake doesn't get the freedom in Super rugby that he used so well in NRC. Foley was the difference last night

Yeah after last night I do say I have to agree, he didn't really have the ability to guide the troops around the park, but I guess that comes with experience. As soon as Phipps came on you knew about it with his squeaky voice, as annoying as it is, it's effective and his service was quick and good to end the game. All we need is consistency and reliability at halfback for the tahs at the moment, even in Australian rugby we are lacking a halfback with the ability to scoot like Genia.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
On Gordon - the idea that a 9/10 will instantly be top notch at Super level is a tall order.

It really contextualises those saying "bring him on the spring tour over Frisby" after the NRC last year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

I have no idea why Lucas was replaced on the bench - each time he came on he Tahs lifted.
I think it should have been Lucas that started on FRiday with Phipps off the bench.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have no idea why Lucas was replaced on the bench - each time he came on he Tahs lifted.
I think it should have been Lucas that started on FRiday with Phipps off the bench.

I thought Gordon was quite good, his running threat was excellent, he wasn't perfect, but he showed promise.

Lucas is good a marshalling the troupes, but he doesn't threaten the line

Status
Not open for further replies.