• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Be surprised if we have any players left by the end of the year, given the uncertainty and the big dollars in Europe. Why bother staying unless you are a nailed on starter for the Wobs.

Goodluck to him, i wouldn't be surprised if he returns an improved player.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

So which genius thought it would be a good idea to have Skelton go play for Saracens on a short term contract...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Be surprised if we have any players left by the end of the year, given the uncertainty and the big dollars in Europe. Why bother staying unless you are a nailed on starter for the Wobs.

Goodluck to him, i wouldn't be surprised if he returns an improved player.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The most important single thing that Skelton can learn is how to win a lineout.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So which genius thought it would be a good idea to have Skelton go play for Saracens on a short term contract.

Whilst clearly that gave him a taste of playing in the UK, I think it is purely a decision around money.

Per Iain Payten, the ARU fought off French offers for Arnold, Coleman and Carter last year with increased contracts (and presumably Simmons and Douglas are also on top ups) leaving Skelton the odd man out.

As always, it is the test player (or close to) just outside that top tier of Australian contracts that has the most to gain by going overseas.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Waratahs should make a huge play for Izack Rodda, he's from NSW originally and looks the goods. When does his contract end?

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
As always, it is the test player (or close to) just outside that top tier of Australian contracts that has the most to gain by going overseas.
More money (I assume), the adventure of playing in another country, no more pressure of making/not making the Wallabies, exposure to new coaches - what's not to like for an elite rugby player?

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Well it will be interesting to see who the tahs sign for locks next year with Skelton gone and Mumm probably retiring. Hopefully some decent locks.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Waratahs should make a huge play for Izack Rodda, he's from NSW originally and looks the goods. When does his contract end?

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

So is Tui, and even more recently than Rodda.

Skelton is a big loss to the Tahs but not to the Wallabies. When he was originally selected he was a project player, and then he never got to the point that he could be selected for a test on his merits.

Maybe Sarries will make him better, but honestly he looked excellent last time he was there and came back in just 'okay' form. It's as simple as the league isn't the same standard as Super Rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not sure that I agree about the standards of the respective competitions. It might be that Skelton was able to play a more limited game for Saracens than he is expected to here, precisely because he is surrounded by better players?

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
So is Tui, and even more recently than Rodda.

Skelton is a big loss to the Tahs but not to the Wallabies. When he was originally selected he was a project player, and then he never got to the point that he could be selected for a test on his merits.

Maybe Sarries will make him better, but honestly he looked excellent last time he was there and came back in just 'okay' form. It's as simple as the league isn't the same standard as Super Rugby.

I don't buy this much anymore. Given the sheer quantity of Super level + players plying their trade in European competitions. Plus, the few players who returned to the Wallabies didn't seem to have missed a beat. Particularly Genia and Giteau (before he broke down).

Kepu did lose form when he left though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Skelton was the Tahs best player in round 1 and then missed the next couple of games through injury. He has been pretty decent in the last two games.

I reckon the best teams in the UK premiership (and other comps in Europe) would beat the best Australian teams right now but lose to the best NZ teams.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't buy this much anymore. Given the sheer quantity of Super level + players plying their trade in European competitions. Plus, the few players who returned to the Wallabies didn't seem to have missed a beat. Particularly Genia and Giteau (before he broke down).

Kepu did lose form when he left though.

I'm not saying their league is garbage, but there's a reason Super Rugby journeymen are superstars in European leagues.

If we presume give or take there's a similar amount of talented rugby players in England or France than there is in Australia, then you've got to look at talent diffusion. Dividing a similar talent pool by 5 (Super Rugby) compared to 12-14 (Premiership or T14) results in a different standard of play. Even once you add in internationals.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not saying their league is garbage, but there's a reason Super Rugby journeymen are superstars in European leagues.

If we presume give or take there's a similar amount of talented rugby players in England or France than there is in Australia, then you've got to look at talent diffusion. Dividing a similar talent pool by 5 (Super Rugby) compared to 12-14 (Premiership or T14) results in a different standard of play. Even once you add in internationals.

Definitely, but they also have far larger talents pools. Australian soup teams choose predominantly Australian players.

In Europe there are 100+ Australian players, probably as many South Africans, plus a few Kiwis, Argentinians, Islanders etc, padding out the numbers. England in particular are churning out a far larger quantity of quality players at the moment as well. The gap is surely closing even if it's not there yet.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I would have conceded that until I saw the ease with which Meakes adapted to soup rugby. He was the best of the Aussie 12s in the first few weeks but I haven't seen him in the last few weeks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would have conceded that until I saw the ease with which Meakes adapted to soup rugby. He was the best of the Aussie 12s in the first few weeks but I haven't seen him in the last few weeks.

Meakes is a solid pro. I think there is a misconception that every player must be able to score 100m tries stepping the whole team and smash in defense.

There is a role for guys who put in solid, consistent shifts week in, week out.

The Kiwi sides are littered with pros who do the basics right nearly every time

Status
Not open for further replies.