• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think: fuck Super Rugby for 6 months. While not a disaster this season has seem some questionably brainless shit, not the least of which was retention of Taqele.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There are some handy wingers going around in Club rugby. The only reason I can think of for retaining Taqele is to repurpose him as an 8.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Only a passing reference to Hanigan, gw? To be fair to Ned I don't think he's best suited in the second row, he's got BSF written all over him for mine. Dempsey played extremely well this year but what's his best position? He looks like an 8 to me, however, I wouldn't select him ahead of Holloway. Even given Jack's excellent play this year I see more upside in Hanigan, he's the sort of 6 we desperately need in Oz rugby.

Which brings me to my main point about next year's Tahs squad: LOCKS. Letting Matjiwow sign for the Force now looks very sloppy, second rowers like Ben don't grow on trees.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Only a passing reference to Hanigan, gw?

Let's see how he goes in the NRC. You may well be right but this casual observer hasn't seen much of him against elite adult competition - though I'll be happy for him to fulfill the promise you speak of. If Mumm re-signs or is replaced by a big name there's still 2 bench spots open to cover 4 through 8 with Lousi, Dennis and Palu leaving - it's really in Ned's hands.

2016 was an unique year for the Tahs players and aspirants, with no less than 15 players having left the overall squad from the previous year. As a result players such as Hanigan, Wilkin, Horwitz and Stewart were handed full contracts whereas would've been fighting for EPS otherwise - and with another maybe 10 full time contracts not being renewed in 2017 it'll happen again. Sure Taqele, Kepu and probably Cam Clark will take 3 of those - with Robertson a priority for another - though you're going to see guys like Toleafoa upgraded and competing for game time Soon whereas in years with low turnover he might've been lost to us. Unless of course big Sitaleki comes home... And with 2 years of exodus, we're looking skinny for leaders around the squad.

Opportunity knocks for a lot of young blokes, let's see what the NRC throws up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fine, since you all insist, I'll elaborate the important points of this year:

Tom "The Fucking Man" Robertson

This is the best, most awesome thing we can take away from this season.

He's a fucking keg, can run with the ball, score tries, and does his job covering rucks and shit work as well.

He's a country boy, played rugby all his life, is still 21, and is holding off seasoned pros.

Above all this, he reinforces the truth that front rowers are the smartest people in rugby by juggling his medical studies with being the best THP at the club, and soon the best in Australia.

And he's got a sensible haircut. What's not to like?

tom%20roberston.jpg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Try to keep up - intelligent props built the world.

Hey, let the likely back have his delusions. We all know that as a front rower you need to not only understand what your role is but alsounderstand each and every other positions job and where to be and when. While say a back only needs to know how to catch and pass. Which quite often they cannot execute that as well as they should.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Which is OK, because it means more scrums.

The natural understanding of physics - the GIFT of that understanding - cannot be taught to mere mortals.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fine, since you all insist, I'll elaborate the important points of this year:

Tom "The Fucking Man" Robertson

This is the best, most awesome thing we can take away from this season.

He's a fucking keg, can run with the ball, score tries, and does his job covering rucks and shit work as well.

He's a country boy, played rugby all his life, is still 21, and is holding off seasoned pros.

Above all this, he reinforces the truth that front rowers are the smartest people in rugby by juggling his medical studies with being the best THP at the club, and soon the best in Australia.

And he's got a sensible haircut. What's not to like?

tom%20roberston.jpg

I like him, in spite of the fact that you seem to be fapping yourself senseless over him. A real good 'un.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
As your name is "half" let's just assume you're a yappy Number 9, and therefore don't know ANY of the Laws ;)

True.

But the pigs needed to be told what to do, as they are by nature lazy and dumb, and that's my side. For the other side they love the odd nip to the ankles, or studs by [accident always] dragged along there back calf mussels as the get up.

Yappy of course, my nick name in one side was 'underwater" because the pigs said I could talk underwater.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I have to say it was the season I expected. Back in about week 6 of the Super season I said I didn't expect us to be finalists, just to improve as the season went on, finish about mid field, knock a couple of good sides off and blood some good young talent, and that's exactly what we did. Keep in mind the depth of talent we lost, with Kepu, Potgeiter and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moving on, and then season (or career) ending injuries to Robinson, Holloway and Beale.

Our very poor start to the season cost us dearly, from round 6 on we were clearly the best Aus side. What we need now are a couple of quality locks and a 12. I just don't believe Skelton has moved forward nearly enough, despite his potential, Dennis & Lousi are moving on and Mumm (if he stays) is past his 'use by' date. At 12, Beale's gone, I'm a Horne fan, but not at 12, and I am yet to be convinced that Horwitz is up to Super rugby.

On the positive side, Roach, Robertson, Dempsey, Holloway and Kellaway hove been wonderful additions to our squad.

I hope Robertson doesn't get relegated to the bench with Kepu's return, he's too good a prospect to be allowed to sit still. Am I right in thinking Kepu started his career as a Loose Head? If so, perhaps he can go back there and we retain Robertson at Tight Head.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
True.

But the pigs needed to be told what to do, as they are by nature lazy and dumb, and that's my side. For the other side they love the odd nip to the ankles, or studs by [accident always] dragged along there back calf mussels as the get up.

Yappy of course, my nick name in one side was 'underwater" because the pigs said I could talk underwater.

You do realise forwards only humour halfbacks. You tend to be the smallest guys on the pitch so we take pity and let you think you're running the show.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I am a beacon to the people - I shine a light in the places they dare not, and thus, save them from peril.

What thanks do I get? Smart-arsery from Captain Chronometer.

giphy.gif

:D

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
SMH reports today that Robertson, Hanigan, Hegarty and Horwitz are sticking around. I'm not sure if that's ink to paper, or an educated guess.

That'd give us 24 signed, around the same as the other Aus Super sides - except for the Force who are dragging the chain - though could contest for McCauley, Toleafoa, Philip or Jones if we're now careful.

I get that some see Mumm as past his use-by date, though we really need his leadership while Horne, Phipps and Foley grow into the role. A bit like keeping Denno past this prime (which was 2011 from memory).

Status
Not open for further replies.