• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah, obviously they don't plan on trying to recruit any other players.

Allowing for marquee players - how many are on the market 1 season and a bit out from RWC 2019? - where are the players they plan to recruit?
The one player they brought through from Shute Shield seems to have been (arguably unfairly) pushed out of contention, they have recruited dodgy rejects in the pigs, and they've let Horwitz go (who was at least a potentially experienced backup if nothing else).
Add the contracted cuts and some general dissatisfaction (reported to me more directly than the SMH) and I foresee a bleak year which is very bad for oz rugby.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Allowing for marquee players - how many are on the market 1 season and a bit out from RWC 2019? - where are the players they plan to recruit?
The one player they brought through from Shute Shield seems to have been (arguably unfairly) pushed out of contention, they have recruited dodgy rejects in the pigs, and they've let Horwitz go (who was at least a potentially experienced backup if nothing else).
Add the contracted cuts and some general dissatisfaction (reported to me more directly than the SMH) and I foresee a bleak year which is very bad for oz rugby.
Well, without being indelicate, I imagine they might cast an eye on players from whichever Super rugby team gets cut, if that actually goes ahead.
It strikes me as odd when people use the phrase "let Player X go" because the player joins another team. From what we've seen of Horwitz, he probably would not command a huge contract (yet), and obviously wants more starting time, so maybe he actively left rather than being let go. I don't know. Maybe your little birds sing otherwise? Should the Tahs pay over the odds to "make him stay"? I could just imagine the derision from many quarters. Players at this level will move on, and rightly so, if a better opportunity arises.
Unless the Tahs have an epic pre-season, I'm not sure any recruits are going to elevate them much above bottom 4-6 of the overall log next year. Which will no doubt please more than a few posters.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well, without being indelicate, I imagine they might cast an eye on players from whichever Super rugby team gets cut, if that actually goes ahead.
It strikes me as odd when people use the phrase "let Player X go" because the player joins another team. From what we've seen of Horwitz, he probably would not command a huge contract (yet), and obviously wants more starting time, so maybe he actively left rather than being let go. I don't know. Maybe your little birds sing otherwise? Should the Tahs pay over the odds to "make him stay"? I could just imagine the derision from many quarters. Players at this level will move on, and rightly so, if a better opportunity arises.
Unless the Tahs have an epic pre-season, I'm not sure any recruits are going to elevate them much above bottom 4-6 of the overall log next year. Which will no doubt please more than a few posters.

He must be worth about the same to the Rebels as he is to the Tahs - but as you say his opportunities will (in theory) be greater there with Beale returning.
I just can't see a plan - I guess it will all heat up when the cut is made - which a different bird tells me will happen: not sure how one can know when the arbitration is pending

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
He must be worth about the same to the Rebels as he is to the Tahs - but as you say his opportunities will (in theory) be greater there with Beale returning.
I just can't see a plan - I guess it will all heat up when the cut is made - which a different bird tells me will happen: not sure how one can know when the arbitration is pending

That's not true, Rebels have to pay overs to attract players (they have to relocate after all). Has always been this way and will always be this way.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's not true, Rebels have to pay overs to attract players (they have to relocate after all). Has always been this way and will always be this way.
That's obviously true for guys who are confident if being a starter at multiple franchises.
But in this case, his option would be to either play for Wicks most weeks and wait for a KB (Kurtley Beale) injury, or to back himself in Melb.
I can't see Rebels paying a big premium over any Tahs offer in this particular case.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
From the SMH

Reece Robinson is set to part ways with the Waratahs as the club works through a major roster overhaul with up to a quarter of the squad set to leave.
The Waratahs have officially announced the departures of Will Skelton (Saracens), Rob Horne (Northampton), Dean Mumm (retirement) and David Horwitz (Melbourne Rebels), but it is believed there is a bigger clean-out to come following a tumultuous year.

Meanwhile, Bryce Hegarty, who will miss this weekend's match with the Western Force because of a hamstring injury, is another player coming off-contract.
The 24-year-old wants to stay at NSW and there is a chance the Waratahs will offer him another one-year deal, but the club is waiting to find out whether the Force or Rebels will be cut from Super Rugby next year so they can poach players.
As a result, players such as Dave McDuling, Angus Ta'avao, Harry Jones, David Lolohea, Sam Needs, Brad Wilkin and Senio Toleafoa are all off-contract and without any guarantees for next year, a number of these players could take their talents elsewhere.
McDuling looks set to leave, while Ta'avao, a prop who has not featured in the Waratahs' starting XV this year, will have to take a pay cut if he wants to stay.
Jones has been linked with sevens rugby after spending time in Japan recently with the Australian development squad, while prop Lolohea, who gets a chance off the bench on Saturday in Perth, is understood to be exploring his options overseas.
Reserve halfback Matt Lucas will also leave NSW at the end of the season for the Brumbies, filling the hole left by the departing Tomas Cubelli.

only surprised about Brad Wilkin, I guess his injury and others sort of stepping up has dragged him down the pecking order

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I did say worth.
Whether they had to pay him more depends on, among other things, whether anyone, including the tahs, were after him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Losing Matt Lucas will come to haunt the Tahs. Particularly his goal kicking IMO.

To kick goals he has to be able to get in the side, at his age it is a good move.

Powell will have to markedly improve his game to keep him from starting

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's obviously true for guys who are confident if being a starter at multiple franchises.
But in this case, his option would be to either play for Wicks most weeks and wait for a KB (Kurtley Beale) injury, or to back himself in Melb.
I can't see Rebels paying a big premium over any Tahs offer in this particular case.

I did say worth.
Whether they had to pay him more depends on, among other things, whether anyone, including the tahs, were after him.

As a Super Rugby player, someone somewhere in the global rugby marketplace is after him.

Rebels don't have the pull of offering 'home comforts' (where his family is and where he's already set up), so they pay overs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reece Robinson gone next year. Most likely heading overseas.

Hegarty's position uncertain but they might offer him a one year contract.

As already mentioned, Harry Jones is likely to join the 7s squad.

A bunch of others like McDuling, Toleafoa, Needs, Lolohea, Wilkin and Ta'avao also off contract and their futures are uncertain.

Unsurprisingly, Ta'avao would need to take a pay cut if he wants to stay.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...for-major-roster-changes-20170713-gxahci.html

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

A bunch of others like McDuling, Toleafoa, Needs, Lolohea, Wilkin and Ta'avao also off contract and their futures are uncertain.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/reece-robinson-to-leave-nsw-waratahs-as-club-prepares-for-major-roster-changes-20170713-gxahci.html

Big cleanout? Hopefully some decent signings are made soon. Maybe some of the Gen blue boys might get a few EPS contracts?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Big cleanout? Hopefully some decent signings are made soon. Maybe some of the Gen blue boys might get a few EPS contracts?

You'd assume some of them will get EPS and wider training squad contracts as they always do.

Harry Johnson-Holmes, Cody Walker, Lachie Swinton, Theo Strang seem the most likely.

Ezera Chee-Kam and Max Girdler are others who were pretty good this year.

(not counting McCauley as he already has a contract).

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...for-major-roster-changes-20170713-gxahci.html

wonder where Andrew Deegan fits in all of this. He has done well for the Tahs for 2 seasons and IMO offers more than Mack Mason

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
wonder where Andrew Deegan fits in all of this. He has done well for the Tahs for 2 seasons and IMO offers more than Mack Mason
Done well for the Tahs for 2 seasons?
WTF??
In what way?
If it was kids footy, he'd be flat out qualifying for a participation award, let alone one for actually excelling.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Done well for the Tahs for 2 seasons?
WTF??
In what way?
If it was kids footy, he'd be flat out qualifying for a participation award, let alone one for actually excelling.

Thanks for that - was a typo - meant to be for the Wicks. I reckon he outplayed Mack Mason when they played Easts.

Status
Not open for further replies.