• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
They were all pretty crap this week.

He has the potential to be that solid super player that every team needs who plays at a standard that can be relied on week in, week out.
fuck him off as soon as possible, he stymies our attack and is a liability in defence. Tops out at SS-level. Only game of note at Super level was against the Reds this year.

Meanwhile Ned Hanigan kills it in the air, great at the pick and drive, though is an abject disaster in defence. He seems to lack the instinct of how he's going to tackle an approaching attacker - what could be an easy attacking collision somehow becomes Ned diving at the feet of the player who's moved past him. Don't start me on his head-on defence...

He could be a Rocky-Elsom-esque but he has to learn to tackle, and needs a long off-season or more to bulk up (ie. no November tour). I remember when Joe Van Niekirk debuted for the Boks straight out of the junior side (before playing Super) and he had the exact same issues, he got better in defence but never got the bulk - he got 50 test caps but could've got 100.

Let's get Ned right, not burn him young.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg have you seen many of Bonds games (genuine question not a crack)? Because I've only seen him play once at Wests a month ago and he was terrible. Reminds me of Mark Chisholm (looks like Tarzan plays like Jane). Biggest bloke on the park and he just doesnt use his size.

For a period Bond were attacking 10m from Wests line and I thought Sean Hedger was going to blow a pooffoo valve he was screaming so hard for Neville to get involved.

Still I'd prefer him to Dave McDulling

Haven't been to one. But watched a bunch on live stream. I'm a big fan and I reckon he's had a hell of a year.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
23 for next year given the signings we know?

1. Kepu
2. Latu
3. Robertson
4. Staniforth
5. Hanigan
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. ?
12. Beale
13. ?
14. ?
15. Folau

16. Ryan
17. Roach
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. Gordon
22. ?
23. ?

Thoughts:

1-3: I'm very happy with. Ryan and Roach are decent backups, but we need another solid prop.

4-5: very unsure about this. I'd love a Simmons or a Parling-esque recruit. Does Poitgeiter have a little brother?

6-8: all the potential in the world but Cronn needs to get them fulfilling their roles and not looking for linebreaks. I have faith 2018 will be a good year for this lot.

9,10,12,15: very happy with.

13, 11-14: a real weakness for us. Simone could be good but he hasn't shown it this season.

What we need:

+ Backs! Wingers and an outside centre. Not impressed with Kellaway's efforts since highschool, although he could be a decent choice on one wing. The rest are fucked and we need to go into a recruiting overdrive.

+ Second rowers. I want a Coleman / Poitgeiter / Douglas 2014 type enforcer to provide some meat to our pack.

Does anyone know of any solid genuinely off contract pick ups available from the other squads? Let's not speculate about picking up signed players from the Rebels or the Force as until the cut is announced I don't think its in good taste.

Looking at the other threads the following could be good gets: Tom Banks (!), Dargaville, Alex Newsome, RHP, Faulkner, Phillip, Neville, Simmons.

With a huge turnover Gibson, like Cheika did in 2014, will have a real opportunity to make the squad his own. There'll be no excuse for not having a squad thats capable of implementing his gameplan next year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Cam Clark will keep a starting wing spot in 2018. He's the only winger I'm been impressed with overall. He does his job well and defends better than the rest of them. Willing to put his body on the line in defence against bigger opposition and in attack running decoy lines on set moves.

Finding the option to play 13 is going to be important. You'd imagine the Tahs will have some money to throw at finding a decent option. Could certainly be worthwhile getting a marquee signing in that position.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I could see
11 Kellaway - he has had his second season blues, let us see how he pulls up
12 Simone - I still think he is the future
13 Folau
14 Clarke
15 Beale

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully Simone does come on next year.

I certainly wouldn't be against that backline fatprop.

Could even have Folau on one wing if we recruit a good 13.

Certainly there is the need to recruit a good centre regardless of where people end up playing next season and once we have that squad together it comes a question of where you play Folau and Beale to get the best out of the squad.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Cam Clark will keep a starting wing spot in 2018. He's the only winger I'm been impressed with overall. He does his job well and defends better than the rest of them. Willing to put his body on the line in defence against bigger opposition and in attack running decoy lines on set moves.

Finding the option to play 13 is going to be important. You'd imagine the Tahs will have some money to throw at finding a decent option. Could certainly be worthwhile getting a marquee signing in that position.

Con Foley?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So the tahs approach next year is to assume that none of their front line players gets injured?
Are we sure Gibson isn't a plant?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Strong rumour that Maria Tutaia is heading to Sydney for the next few netball seasons so looks like her man Izzy won't be moving to Auckland (not that I ever thought he would, no way could the Blues ever afford him).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I really think the most positive step Gibson has planned so far for next season is to take over their biggest area of need himself.

Could it go bad, absolutely, but it is a big positive call

There will be no where to hide

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think too many employment decisions will be made until the super side is cut

13 could be English or Peni in the end

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
She's certainly bloody accurate. Can score goals from long range under pressure too.

Status
Not open for further replies.