• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I thought Tahs might have tried signing Talakai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You would think there is space, money though..

Well, maybe there isn't. If they have players contracted they can't just chuck them aside and sign a bunch of new ones. Has anyone seen an up to date list of contracted players? It just goes to show how shit NSW are at arranging conspiracies, amongst everything else they're shit at. I mean, if you're going to engineer the Force being axed, you think you'd wait until it was going to be convenient to pick up a bunch of good players. ;)

Moondog

Stan Wickham (3)
Looking forward to next year given the horror of this season and the return of the prodigal son..

POST STOLEN TO TRACK SQUAD:

Hooker:

Tolu Latu (2018)
Hugh Roach (2018)

Prop:

Sekope Kepu (2019)
Paddy Ryan (2018)
Tom Robertson (2018)
Matt Sandell (2018)

Lock:

Tom Staniforth (2020)
Rob Simmons (2019)

Backrow:

Michael Hooper (2018)
Jed Holloway (2019)
Jack Dempsey (2018)

Scrumhalf:

Nick Phipps (2019)
Jake Gordon (2019)

Flyhalf:

Bernard Foley (2018)

Centre:

Kurtley Beale (2019)

Wing:

Taqele Naiyaravoro (2018)
Andrew Kellaway (2018)
Cam Clarke (2018)

Fullback:

Israel Folau (2018)

Confirmed Gone:

Will Skelton (Sarasens)
Dean Mumm (retired)
Rob Horne (Northampton)
David Horwitz (Rebels)
Jim Stewart (retired - broken neck)
Andrew Deegan (Connacht)

Contract Up:

Damian Fitzpatrick
Ned Hanigan
Angus Ta'avoa
Michael Wells
Bryce Heagerty
Irae Simone
Mack Mason
Ryan McCauley

Likely Gone:

Reece Robinson (overseas)
Harry Jones (Aussie 7s)
Dave McDuling (released)
Senio Toleafoa (released)
Sam Needs (released)
David Lolohea (released)
Brad Wilkin (released)
Matt Lucas (Brumbies)

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Any whispers on Tah signings other than Robinson??

It'd be lovely to hear we picked up a TH (Vui?), a lock Philip/Arnold/Coleman),and 2 O/S backs (Rona/Peni/another) If spots are at a premium, then negotiate an exit for the surplus guys who haven't kicked on........

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

It'd be lovely to hear we picked up a TH (Vui?), a lock Philip/Arnold/Coleman),and 2 O/S backs (Rona/Peni/another) If spots are at a premium, then negotiate an exit for the surplus guys who haven't kicked on....
Including coaches?

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)

It'd be lovely to hear we picked up a TH (Vui?), a lock Philip/Arnold/Coleman),and 2 O/S backs (Rona/Peni/another) If spots are at a premium, then negotiate an exit for the surplus guys who haven't kicked on....

It seems they have lost out on Meakes, Rona and Coleman to the Rebels. Shambeckler Vui could possibly be on his way to the Brumbies but still without a home for 2018.

Currently just hearing that a host of U20’s Gen Blue graduates have signed on for the 2018 season (contract lengths not 100% certain).
Cody Walker, Harry Johnson-Holmes as well as NSW Country prop Sam Needs. Ryan McCauley and Lachlan Swinton will be continuing on.

Two surprises I am hearing is that Kelly Meafua and Henry Clunies-Ross will join the squad for 2018. Mack Mason, Bryce Hegarty and Iran Simone are still with the squad next season.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We are going to have a very odd mix of seasoned internationals and not-quite-good-enough next year, the way things are going.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We are going to have a very odd mix of seasoned internationals and not-quite-good-enough next year, the way things are going.

I agree - our squad really hasn't progressed as I would've liked (outside of lock, but we need another strong signing there as well).

I simply don't rate the following players who are, or might be, around next season:

+ Kellaway
+ Clarke
+ Fitzpatrick
+ Wells
+ Hegarty
+ McCauley
+ Wilkin

One or two of them would be decent as squad/depth players, but such mediocrity making up a large part of the squad is worrying.

If Clunies-Ross has resigned with the Tahs, then that trend seems to be continuing.

Of the u20s, only Swinton fills me with hope.

Fuck.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree - our squad really hasn't progressed as I would've liked (outside of lock, but we need another strong signing there as well).

I simply don't rate the following players who are, or might be, around next season:

+ Kellaway
+ Clarke
+ Fitzpatrick
+ Wells
+ Hegarty
+ McCauley
+ Wilkin

One or two of them would be decent as squad/depth players, but such mediocrity making up a large part of the squad is worrying.

If Clunies-Ross has resigned with the Tahs, then that trend seems to be continuing.

Of the u20s, only Swinton fills me with hope.

Fuck.

+ 10000% If an entire super rugby club squad becomes available for re-assignment how can the tahs and reds end up with a grand total of nil force players to help strengthen the roster then there is something very strange going on. We all know the Rebels needed probably another half dozen top shelf players to bring them up to potentially match the NZ'rs, but equally so all the OZ franchises were in need of increase in quality. Either the NSW recruitment/management/coaching team are a complete shambles (likely in any event)or there is something dodgy going on in salary cap land. As far as I can make out we've lost Horne, Mumm, Lucas, McDuling, Robinson, Skelton, Ta'avao, Toleafoa, Horwitz, H Jones, Deegan, We've recruited Simmons and Staniforth. straight swap of two weak locks for two weaker locks...(good work Tahs). should have picked at least one of the three Froce guys Beale, huge win replaces either Horne or Horwitz Still leaves another 8 spots by my reckoning. (I agree Swinton is the real deal btw - played a cracker of a match ion the Nths vs Uni Shute shield GF as an 18yo in 2016) If the powers that be have upgraded this many kids into the main squad that we can't find a spot for a few force guys then we are looking at a fight with Japan for fourth spot in the conference next year....... A major recruiting cock up somewhere..

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
^^^^
Apart from McCauley, the 20s are signed on Supplementary Squad or Extended Playing Squad. They are being prepared for the future and aren't expected to play much Super Rugby rugby next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
+ 10000% If an entire super rugby club squad becomes available for re-assignment how can the tahs and reds end up with a grand total of nil force players to help strengthen the roster then there is something very strange going on. We all know the Rebels needed probably another half dozen top shelf players to bring them up to potentially match the NZ'rs, but equally so all the OZ franchises were in need of increase in quality. Either the NSW recruitment/management/coaching team are a complete shambles (likely in any event)or there is something dodgy going on in salary cap land. As far as I can make out we've lost Horne, Mumm, Lucas, McDuling, Robinson, Skelton, Ta'avao, Toleafoa, Horwitz, H Jones, Deegan, We've recruited Simmons and Staniforth. straight swap of two weak locks for two weaker locks.(good work Tahs). should have picked at least one of the three Froce guys Beale, huge win replaces either Horne or Horwitz Still leaves another 8 spots by my reckoning. (I agree Swinton is the real deal btw - played a cracker of a match ion the Nths vs Uni Shute shield GF as an 18yo in 2016) If the powers that be have upgraded this many kids into the main squad that we can't find a spot for a few force guys then we are looking at a fight with Japan for fourth spot in the conference next year... A major recruiting cock up somewhere..

I don't think Simmons and Staniforth are a downgrade at Super level at all. They should be fine. Which Force players do you think we "should" have, bearing in mind any Force players have probably been made good offers elsewhere? Just curious. I mean, any team would love to have guys like Coleman, Meakes, DHP, RHP etc... but I suspect competition for most of their players is pretty fierce, and the Tahs, like it or not, have ongoing contractual obligations and restrictions that will dictate who they can chase.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Gibson said a few weeks ago that he wants a prop, a lock and a centre to finish the main squad.

That means he's hoping for:
Cowan or Vui
Coleman, Phillips, Arnold, Matwijow
Meakes, Rona

From the force

But if he's already signed two young props and Needs then he may have missed out on a force prop.

Also apparently he's missed out on both Meakes and Rona.

He's definitely struggled in the recruiting department.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Who's the front runner for outside, Simone? I hope Gibson doesn't get carried away with Taqele's performance at 13 for the Barbarians. He was very good in attack but wasn't really tested in defence, I think he might be exposed a bit if he plays there in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.