• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I love that idea. I wonder what assurances we would have to provide on our end to get foreign leagues to agree to anything binding, but it all has to start with a more centralised system. Whether that is RA saying "we have this player on offer from Toulouse, we will cover his salary, and you get extra room in your cap for the two years that he's with you", or RA being able to say "this player plays for you this year and you will play him for at least 700 minutes this season", I don't know.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I love that idea. I wonder what assurances we would have to provide on our end to get foreign leagues to agree to anything binding, but it all has to start with a more centralised system. Whether that is RA saying "we have this player on offer from Toulouse, we will cover his salary, and you get extra room in your cap for the two years that he's with you", or RA being able to say "this player plays for you this year and you will play him for at least 700 minutes this season", I don't know.

Im a big picture guy. Someone else can sort the details.

100% agree that it starts with Australia's centralised system.

I'd also use the NZRU method for U20 coaches. Two years as an assistant, one year as a head coach then you move on.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
In my ideal world, we have a best-of-both-worlds level of centralisation, where the provincial teams have the authority to make some in-house decisions (such as coaching and player recruitment), but with a centralised skills training program, and a system for players can appeal to RA for freedom of movement to other Super teams.

RA could have some level of sway over provincial teams by managing the salary cap. They can recommend a coach (or other staff memeber) to a team, offer to pay their salary, and provide an increase to the salary cap in return for accepting the RA appointment. It would be important to say that teams cannot have their salary cap reduced for refusing an offer from RA; we want more carrots than sticks in a system that already has people angry at each other.

Players could appeal to RA to move to another team for more playing time. Their current team could block the move by guaranteeing 800 minutes a season (10 games), which would involve a salary cap penalty for failing to fulfill. Otherwise, RA then contacts the other provinces and lets them know about the official availability. The contract transfers in its existing form from one province to the other, to prevent players moving to get paid.

RA would make it known to foreign leagues that they are willing to give players a sabatical placement for 12-24 months, paying some portion of their salary during. They could offer this player to the provinces; some sort of bidding process would exist for situations with more than one team wanting the player, but otherwise it would simply be a placement. It would require that the player be given a minimum number of playing time minutes throughout the season.

The incentive in return for taking these players would be that RA would facilitate a sabatical for that province's players in future, and some salary cap benefits. Plus, a free player.

Much more detail required, but I think the big issue to sort out is freedom of movement for players, to prevent potential Wallabies from languishing on a bench somewhere.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees btw just reading the latest media on league's domestic violence and rape cases.....at this point I will happily take the worst issue we are talking about is rugby players taking drugs....

I digress......

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I really think Mike Cron's coaching career is going well and probably has the ABs' HC as his goal.

Simon Cron on the other hand...
Simon ‘s career is coming along nicely. A long way from an AB candidate at this point but who knows. I wonder what your opinion would be if he was involved with the Brumbies set up rather than the Waratahs?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Simon ‘s career is coming along nicely. A long way from an AB candidate at this point but who knows. I wonder what your opinion would be if he was involved with the Brumbies set up rather than the Waratahs?

Silver, I am a great fan of Simon Cron. Look over posts about a year or two ago. I stated my belief early on that he would go far.

My post, that you seem to have taken umbrage at, was that there were a couple of pages beforehand where every poster was calling the Assistant Waratahs' coach Mike Cron. Talk about showing their ignorance.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
In my ideal world, we have a best-of-both-worlds level of centralisation, where the provincial teams have the authority to make some in-house decisions (such as coaching and player recruitment), but with a centralised skills training program, and a system for players can appeal to RA for freedom of movement to other Super teams.

RA could have some level of sway over provincial teams by managing the salary cap. They can recommend a coach (or other staff memeber) to a team, offer to pay their salary, and provide an increase to the salary cap in return for accepting the RA appointment. It would be important to say that teams cannot have their salary cap reduced for refusing an offer from RA; we want more carrots than sticks in a system that already has people angry at each other.

Players could appeal to RA to move to another team for more playing time. Their current team could block the move by guaranteeing 800 minutes a season (10 games), which would involve a salary cap penalty for failing to fulfill. Otherwise, RA then contacts the other provinces and lets them know about the official availability. The contract transfers in its existing form from one province to the other, to prevent players moving to get paid.

RA would make it known to foreign leagues that they are willing to give players a sabatical placement for 12-24 months, paying some portion of their salary during. They could offer this player to the provinces; some sort of bidding process would exist for situations with more than one team wanting the player, but otherwise it would simply be a placement. It would require that the player be given a minimum number of playing time minutes throughout the season.

The incentive in return for taking these players would be that RA would facilitate a sabatical for that province's players in future, and some salary cap benefits. Plus, a free player.

Much more detail required, but I think the big issue to sort out is freedom of movement for players, to prevent potential Wallabies from languishing on a bench somewhere.

Why not player exchange in there, so and so gets to go to Japan/France/England, why can't we get one of there coaches on the books or there player.. add other competition outside of Super / GRR.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm pretty sure no one ever wants to be called the new Rocky Elsom..

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...-awaited-waratahs-return-20190213-p50xlx.html

Rocky Elsom was a beast. It was a shame that two consecutive years of rugby ruined his body and then his career. Sure you might have opinions on him not playing much for the Brumbies or then picking up Ben Mowen. I really liked Ben Mowen too but if it was a choice of those two at their peak it's Elsom hands down

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Could also place a condition on the agreements with foreign leagues that we have access to the player for the purpose of national selection during that period of time. Then rescind the Giteau Law and have only players who are contracted via the centralised system being eligible to be selected. As you suggest part of achieving that could be paying part of their salary. Depending on the player of course but say the Super Rugby minimum.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Could also place a condition on the agreements with foreign leagues that we have access to the player for the purpose of national selection during that period of time. Then rescind the Giteau Law and have only players who are contracted via the centralised system being eligible to be selected. As you suggest part of achieving that could be paying part of their salary. Depending on the player of course but say the Super Rugby minimum.

Or we could formalise an agreement with the ownership of Narbonne to essentially loan them talent doing as you suggest paying part of their salaries. Start by focusing on getting Narbonne into the Top 14 and then you could look to include higher profile players in the program. Could do something similar in England.

Ealing are an ambitious club.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I've wanted to jump on this thread for a while and say how good a purchase I think Hunt is for you guys. Have watched him at super, nrc and club level and cannot remember him making many, if any, poor decisions in attack/defense. His decisions in simple 2v1 or 3v2 and shifting the ball to space are second to none really. Something we really lack in oz rugby. He does have a real foorballer's brain and I think he will be a huge asset at 12 with guys like Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Falou outside him. He and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could form a very formidable centre partnership if given the time to play together there.

FWIW my opinion on best tahs 15

1. Robinson
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Holloway
5. Simmons
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey

9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. Falou
12. Hunt
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Rona
15. Beale

Good luck for the season!

BIgz20

Stan Wickham (3)
Why not player exchange in there, so and so gets to go to Japan/France/England, why can't we get one of there coaches on the books or there player.. add other competition outside of Super / GRR.

What coaches could we target that are currently overseas - does the ARU track coaches?

From the top of my head

England

Eddie Jones (England, wallabies, japan)
Mark Bakewell (Leicester, suntory)
Scott Wisemental (England, Japan)

Italy?
Tim Lane?

France?

Japan
Nick Stiles ( Kintetsu, reds, wallabies etc)
Jason Brewer (Kurita, Fiji, Rays)
Sam Harris (Ricoh.. any other coaching??)
John muggelton (Toyota, rebels, wallabies)
Tai Mcisaac (Toyota)

New Zealand?

Scotland
Scott Johnson (wallabies 2019)
Matt Tyler (reds)

Fiji
John Mckee - Kiwi?

Ireland
Daivd Nucifora
Anthony Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.