• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Tayler Adams is getting a lot of wraps for the Woodies.

I've seen him in two games so far this season and he was a completely different player yesterday than he was a fortnight ago. He's returning from a long term injury and is only just finding his confidence again (which was unfortunate for Uni yesterday). Might be a little early in his comeback to consider him as viable just yet.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Dempsey, O'Connor, Latu and Holloway all staying at home for the Saffa trip. Depth being tested.
I notice that Hanigan and Robertson are both going. They were going to reintroduce Tom via Shute but they’ve obviously decided they need him back right now.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Horrible management from Andrew Hore to lose Simon Cron. How much longer can this cronyism of CEO and head coach continue? Extending Gibson’s contract in February is insane and strikes me as Hore wanting to get it done for his mate before any poor results during the season. Unbelievable

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well I suppose could be taken two ways - Cron thinks will learn more under Hansen...and/or working under former AB's coach may help him with his next move to coach a NZ side. I only hope Cron really likes living in Australia rather than NZ......as big loss in oz coaching ranks.

So does this mean Gibson now in strong position to stay on as head coach for long time coming. Not sure about Gibson but equally if Gibson committed to coaching in Australia I would be ok with continuing to invest in him at this point.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Well I suppose could be taken two ways - Cron thinks will learn more under Hansen.and/or working under former AB's coach may help him with his next move to coach a NZ side. I only hope Cron really likes living in Australia rather than NZ..as big loss in oz coaching ranks.

So does this mean Gibson now in strong position to stay on as head coach for long time coming. Not sure about Gibson but equally if Gibson committed to coaching in Australia I would be ok with continuing to invest in him at this point.

Agree, like in any work place if people want to leave there is only so much an organisation can do to keep them.

I am actually quite disappointed that he is leaving the Tahs (If the rumour is true) but on the other hand how good are our forwards at the moment? I might alone here but there is very little evidence that we are making progress up front, yes last year we made the semis but it was mainly due to our backs, I cannot fault the efforts of any player but realistically we are way behind the eight ball compared to other Aus sides. We seem to have the same type of player in every single position, zero variety.

I was at the game last Saturday and the Sharks had a picnic against our forwards, not as single player was able to bend the line, at least from where I was sitting. I am not going to point fingers here but we have idea when it comes to recruitment, we seem to rely on SS players yet every other Aus team gets it right when it comes to recruitment, what I would give for another Palu!

Maybe we need a complete overhaul, backs and forwards

Anyway I'll be up on watching the Tahs again this weekend, hope they prove me wrong

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Horrible management from Andrew Hore to lose Simon Cron. How much longer can this cronyism of CEO and head coach continue? Extending Gibson’s contract in February is insane and strikes me as Hore wanting to get it done for his mate before any poor results during the season. Unbelievable

I don't really get how it is any more cronyism to give Gibson another year as head coach versus appointing a less experienced assistant coach also at the club as head coach (before he is ready in my opinion).

So what do you do instead? You offer Cron two years in the role for 2020 and 2021 and suffer through his development before he goes elsewhere and shows the fruit of that development?

It's absolutely a shame to lose Cron but I don't think there was a reasonable option to sign him as head coach for 2020 to make sure he didn't take a better offer.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Even if we did offer Cron the HC position, he may not have taken it.

His options would have been to take over a struggling franchise whilst being under-qualified, and you would assume he knows that he is under-qualified.

Or learn under one the most successful coaches around before taking the leap to HC.

There is such a thing as being promoted too fast. Nothing like being found out of your depth and in the spotlight.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah I think Cron will be back, going offshore and making a name for him self in a lower league is smart work by him. I think he loves the Tah's and Sydney, he will be back and better then ever.

It will be interesting to see whether his family stays on Sydney's Northern beaches, always a nice driver for a return

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't really get how it is any more cronyism to give Gibson another year as head coach versus appointing a less experienced assistant coach also at the club as head coach (before he is ready in my opinion).

So what do you do instead? You offer Cron two years in the role for 2020 and 2021 and suffer through his development before he goes elsewhere and shows the fruit of that development?

It's absolutely a shame to lose Cron but I don't think there was a reasonable option to sign him as head coach for 2020 to make sure he didn't take a better offer.

Don't disagree but I just think that Cron is so much better than Gibson, and many others, at building rapport with players and coaching rugby in general. Tahs scrum is at 91% and lineout is at 90.8% success this year. I think he would have wanted to be head coach soon given how many years he has spent working with most players in the current squad. Johnson-Holmes, Walker, Vui, McCauley and Swinton at U20's up; Miller, Wells, Clark and H Sinclair at Norths; plus O'Connor, Dempsey and Fitzpatrick at the Rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.