• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

B

Bobby Sands

I think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is a cracker of a player, and think he could become our best LHP pretty quickly.

Who are the young THs coming through for the Tahs and do we think he will get back to LH?

Probably not a bad thing for his game, but it's been very selfless that he has anchored the scrum in a young side - even though it has clearly been a tough learning curve for the great man. His work around the park is pretty exceptional, and he handy at scrum time too.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ah yes. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to LH. I mean why wouldn't he???

It's not like the Tahs have Angus Bell or Tom Robertson playing LH or that there is sweet fucking nothing after him at TH.

Great call Bobby.

B

Bobby Sands

Ah yes. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to LH. I mean why wouldn't he???

It's not like the Tahs have Angus Bell or Tom Robertson playing LH or that there is sweet fucking nothing after him at TH.

Great call Bobby.

Well Bell isn't ready is he.

It's also the position he played before this season.

Robertson is good, but I think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has a much higher ceiling.

But I don't think he will replace either Tupou or AAA, so I was more thinking what is his path to Gold?

He plays like a LH to my mind, but I don't really care either which way. It's good for the Tahs, but is it good for him? Who knows (probably you).

Anyway, I had to read "ignored content" to see this - so I might miss your reply.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’m with you. Plays his first season as a starter last year at LH, gets his first test cap at LH. Tahs don’t replace a warhorse like Kepu and ask him to move to a harder position. He’s made a good fist of it, and if with Tupou or AAA get injured he’d be close to next up. But it still seems a bit harsh. if the RC goes ahead, the versatility of being capable of playing both sides may help him if the plan is for a larger squad in a tournament bubble.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, he did. Obviously he can pack down either side. He’s just young and needs to mature at a professional level in the front row. Packing down against an u20 isn’t the same as a 10 year veteran on either side of the scrum. I Just felt it was harsh on him as he was establishing himself as a serious option for wallaby LH and gets moved to TH where he’s further down the pecking order due to mismanagement of the roster. Either way, he is a top footballer and he will succeed.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Man ask any forwards coach and they will tell you the THP is always the priority over LHP, and regardless of what is occurring at the Wallaby level the Waratahs need a rock solid THP first and foremost. If HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is in the top 3 THP’s in the country, and he has the ability to play LHP if required, then he will be involved in every single wallaby squad for the next 4 years and will get plenty of caps.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, he did. Obviously he can pack down either side. He’s just young and needs to mature at a professional level in the front row. Packing down against an u20 isn’t the same as a 10 year veteran on either side of the scrum. I Just felt it was harsh on him as he was establishing himself as a serious option for wallaby LH and gets moved to TH where he’s further down the pecking order due to mismanagement of the roster. Either way, he is a top footballer and he will succeed.

On the flipside, he got his initial Super Rugby opportunity because there was an opportunity at loose head because of Tom Robertson's injury and then he reverted to tight head because the position became open again and he was better there than the other guys on the roster.

I'm also not sure he'd be particularly higher on the list at LHP behind Slipper and Sio.

Robertson's first season of Super Rugby was at tight head but I think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is much better suited to there and is ultimately the better player.

Given the experienced prop recruit for 2020 was a THP and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is ahead of him I'm not sure how they could have better managed the roster. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) may indeed look even better if playing loose head but I'm not sure how it would work out without the Tahs being inferior with him playing there.

B

Bobby Sands

"“medium to long-term prospect”, following the departure of veteran Sekope Kepu last year."

Harry vows to work hard after tough initiation at tighthead

-https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...ation-at-tighthead-in-waratahs-loss-to-blues/
-https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/02/12/super-waratahs-team

"It was always going to be a big challenge," Johnson-Holmes said. "He is an All Black and a very good player. It is a hard gig, tighthead. I said from the get go with the switch to tighthead that there will be learning curves. It was a technique thing.
"

Blues coach Leon MacDonald praised the efforts of his pack and said they planned to test Johnson-Holmes in his new role.
"He was scrumagging against one of the most destructive scrummagers in the game in Karl," MacDonald said. "He is not the first person to have trouble doing that. We obviously saw an opportunity there and given the conditions, the scrum was a critical part of our game."

But sure. Not really trying to compete on who knows his junior history more (it's not me), or argue that he can or can't play TH.

But to me he plays like a loose head.

That's about the extent of my interest on the topic.

But, to go back to the top - bloke is a good prospect.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess if we recruited a THP who was better than HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) there he could move back to LHP and our front row would be better but realistically in Australia I would say your options are Tupou and Ala'alatoa.

It would be way down my recruitment needs for the Tahs though. Realistically it's one of the only positions where I would say they don't really need to add any recruits for next year. Robertson, Bell, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Faulkner are a solid group with Talakai and Tauakipulu backing them up.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Dave Horwitz is getting a big wrap from the Rugby Ruckus crew for his development - could he be an option to bolster the playmaking ranks in 2021?

B

Bobby Sands

NRC isn't junior history. You really can't handle an alternative view to yours can you?

It just seems to be such a strange thing to take away from my post.

My post was - "I think he is great, will he go back to LH?"

Entire forum - "He has played at TH before, it's not his new position. You can't handle the truth, he did it at NRC and U20s."

FWIW I think he can be the best LH in the country, again, and as always - I have no idea why this is such a controversial thing to say. In fact I came into a Waratahs forum to promote one of your own.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Good to see Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) having a run for Eastwood on the weekend. I think he’ll be better for these club games In years to come. I was also impressed with Hardakers performance. I know it’s a lower level, but he was pretty damn electric on debut. Horowitzs goal kicking left a bit to be desired, whilst Edmed kicked his goals. Both look like they could easily step up. Highly unlikely they’d dislodge the playmakers at the Tahs, but could be of interest to the other Super teams.

B

Bobby Sands

Good to see Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) having a run for Eastwood on the weekend. I think he’ll be better for these club games In years to come. I was also impressed with Hardakers performance. I know it’s a lower level, but he was pretty damn electric on debut. Horowitzs goal kicking left a bit to be desired, whilst Edmed kicked his goals. Both look like they could easily step up. Highly unlikely they’d dislodge the playmakers at the Tahs, but could be of interest to the other Super teams.

Edmed is a super prospect.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It just seems to be such a strange thing to take away from my post.

My post was - "I think he is great, will he go back to LH?"

Entire forum - "He has played at TH before, it's not his new position. You can't handle the truth, he did it at NRC and U20s."

FWIW I think he can be the best LH in the country, again, and as always - I have no idea why this is such a controversial thing to say. In fact I came into a Waratahs forum to promote one of your own.

Because it makes absolutely no sense to move to LH for the Waratahs and Angus Bell is a better prospect at LH.