• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would be surprised if he said he didn't want to captain the Wallabies anymore. I agree with TSR that it makes sense for Hooper not to do both. It's a substantial extra workload.

He'll still clearly be a leader for the Tahs but just doesn't have all the official duties of being captain.

There have been plenty of precedents with of Wallabies captains not being the Super Rugby captain. Off the top of my head Gregan, Mortlock and Moore.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Obviously I care more about the Wallabies' fortunes than the Tahs, so I'm happy with Hooper's decision. Focus on your fitness and game rather than all the formal responsibilities across a super season.

Maintain an edge for the Wallabies (assuming of course he's in Rennie's plans as captain, but can't see why he wouldn't be) and presumably lengthen his domestic career.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Tahs keep punching these out, from SFA to a social media campaign

Tahs media team have really stepped up their game. The Reds have been really good for a number of years but they have also increased the amount of video content. The streaming of trial matches is awesome. RA has done a good job with Rugby Explorer App too. Slow to the party but they are having a crack now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Simmons is a bizarre choice for a replacement. I'm also pretty skeptical that Hooper volunteered to stand down as captain. Seems like he's got a tap on the shoulder.

Who knows, there is a shed load of PR crap with sponsors the captain is inflicted with off the field, lightening Hooper's load is not a bad thing

As to Simmons, I don't know if it is genius move or a clusterf*ck - and the answer will be down to if they are winning or not

But he interviews OK

Reactions: dru

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Simmons is a bizarre choice for a replacement. I'm also pretty skeptical that Hooper volunteered to stand down as captain. Seems like he's got a tap on the shoulder.

Yeah, this quote from Penney sounds tappish:

Waratahs coach Rob Penney said Simmons was a clear choice to replace Hooper, given his experience and the regard in which he is held by his teammates.
“We’ve had a number of conversations about this and we feel that this is in the best interest of the entire squad,” Penney said.

S

Show-n-go

weird fucking choice

could've used this opportunity for succession planning, choose a slightly younger captain while theres a few older heads around to help guide and give advice

how many more years has simmons got here? 1-2?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
weird fucking choice

could've used this opportunity for succession planning, choose a slightly younger captain while theres a few older heads around to help guide and give advice

I think there's some real leadership talent coming through, but there's no need to add that pressure to them now. 1-2 years with Simmons would be ideal, whilst checking out the next generation.

Hooper looked pretty worn down at the RWC last year, a freshen-up might be good for everyone. But will Simmons be on the field for 80 min?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hooper looked pretty worn down at the RWC last year, a freshen-up might be good for everyone. But will Simmons be on the field for 80 min?

I would think that most weeks he would be the lock to play 80. That would be true in spades if Skelton comes in but Holloway usually was first off last year, despite his good performances.

There is an absolute logjam of talent in the backrow. If we stay injury free and the starters perform well then there will be some very disappointed squaddies in the 5-8 positions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
weird fucking choice

The only one I can see as being a reasonable candidate now is Jake Gordon. He's a clear starter and becoming a more senior member of the squad.

Otherwise I would say someone like Ned Hanigan but I think there is a lot of uncertainty regarding those positions so naming him captain could compromise your selections.

Tom Robertson would be another potential but I also am not hugely in favour of props as captain because you are planning for him to finish every game on the bench.

Who would you have picked? My take is that unless Penney thought Jake Gordon was his preferred captain for 5+ years then there aren't really many other long term options who you could say were ready now.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
My thoughts tend to echo much of what others have mentioned. I think with Hoopers 4 yr deal and the amount of game time he's historically had he really does need to be managed. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a little more of Gamble and Tizzano than expected.

I also don't mind the selections (Simmons/Beale). Fitzpatrick would have been a good choice to. I've always found Simmons well spoken and respectful and he comes across as a real hardworker. Probably not too dissimilar to say a Sam Whitelock in temperament.

For Beale this might bring the best out in him. I noticed him interacting really well with the officials and the team at the trial game. The extra responsibility might be just the thing that Beale needs.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Otherwise I would say someone like Ned Hanigan but I think there is a lot of uncertainty regarding those positions so naming him captain could compromise your selections.

Ned got a taste of the captains duty in NRC last year, so I'm sure they took his performance there into consideration.

Lalakai Foketi obviously was the other NRC captain and obviously Hunt most recently in the Trial. So in the squad there is a range of leadership potential in team. I think there will be a lot of players playing their part in unoffical leadership capacity.