• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If they've deflated then more players will leave.

We need them to re-inflate in 2022 on the back of a new TV deal prior to the WC and the start of a 5 year window to us hosting the following WC.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Our recruitment team won't be signing anyone with no money.

To be honest, as long as they stay afloat i won't be fussed if they get the wooden spoon. They can start recruiting once player wages have deflated by 2022.

Many fans would disagree about the spoon.

Anyway we still need to field a squad so hence we need to recruit

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If they've deflated then more players will leave.

We need them to re-inflate in 2022 on the back of a new TV deal prior to the WC and the start of a 5 year window to us hosting the following WC.

I meant wages deflate globally, not within the team. Which they will, as club owners (except for a few exceedingly wealthy ones) can no longer afford to cover club losses given the contraction in the global economy.

This should, in theory, benefit the Tahs who are now operating on the lower end of the budget spectrum.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I meant wages deflate globally, not within the team. Which they will, as club owners (except for a few exceedingly wealthy ones) can no longer afford to cover club losses given the contraction in the global economy.

This should, in theory, benefit the Tahs who are now operating on the lower end of the budget spectrum.

By 2022, restricitons will be eased etc and so on. Clubs will get back into it with full money. It'll be Australia that continues to struggle because of the TV rights income, not because of a global contraction.

Sooner we get private equity the better.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
We just need time. Eek it out for another year or so then B&IL + RWC. They will draw the players back in (plus reasonable salaries).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
By 2022, restricitons will be eased etc and so on. Clubs will get back into it with full money. It'll be Australia that continues to struggle because of the TV rights income, not because of a global contraction.

Sooner we get private equity the better.

I highly doubt things will be back to normal by 2022. Particularly in Europe where they are getting bent over. It could easily take economies more than a decade to recover from this and discretionary spending like your hobby sports club will be way down the list of priorities.

But if they are, we won't be any worse off than we are now. My point was that a global contraction would benefit us.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Concern to read Tahs want to come in 1mil below the salary cap, whilst the rebels are happy to spend it.

I think that the it will again be the Tahs who take the biggest step backwards in 2021 unfortunately.

they Rebels have just announced a fair chunk of their squad is departing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Players departing Rebels not overly a concern and suspect rebels won’t recruit as many given expectation of smaller squads to deal with less money available

Alex Ross (28)
Announcements are a trickle from Tah HQ, but Gamble has signed on for another year.
I really hope there is more work being done in the background to get a squad together for next year than it looks.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Bray in the SS telecast said McCauley heading to the Force for next season

Yeah I picked that up too. I'm surprised, but then not surprised. Wonder who made the decision on that one.

It's going to kill coherence/continuity if the re-inclusion of the Force means they start pilfering off the other squads which was always the question/argument around more teams vs. less. Enough players shooting off to Japan as is. Tah's looking pretty weak atm.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah I picked that up too. I'm surprised, but then not surprised. Wonder who made the decision on that one.

It's going to kill coherence/continuity if the re-inclusion of the Force means they start pilfering off the other squads which was always the question/argument around more teams vs. less. Enough players shooting off to Japan as is. Tah's looking pretty weak atm.
To be fair I don’t see this as a retention issue. The money (very limited) that he’d demand wouldn’t mean it was a financial issue, I’d say more likely the Tahs management are happy to see him go as they don’t see a future role for him at the club. No point signing a guy if the club doesn’t see a future for him.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
To be fair I don’t see this as a retention issue. The money (very limited) that he’d demand wouldn’t mean it was a financial issue, I’d say more likely the Tahs management are happy to see him go as they don’t see a future role for him at the club. No point signing a guy if the club doesn’t see a future for him.

With him I suspect you might be right. Robertson I'm less sure.

Curious who they think they might bring in though, damn big hole in the lock department.. heck the whole tight 5 is looking rather sparse.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
With him I suspect you might be right. Robertson I'm less sure.

Curious who they think they might bring in though, damn big hole in the lock department.. heck the whole tight 5 is looking rather sparse.
Agreed. Robertson prob made a career decision in realizing he isn’t going to be the starting LH or even TH for that matter. He’s at that age where playing off the bench isn’t going to take his career to new heights or bring on higher honors. He also wouldn’t be getting starting player money that another club could obviously offer.