• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Could work.
I’d imagine he wouldn’t want to play there as 7 is a specific role and it could jeopardise his wallabies chances in his better positions of 8 and 6. He also might find it hard to change his playing style, I think the extra workload at 7 may detract from his strengths.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately Dempseys biggest issue is consistently give quality for the full 80.

Great player when on song. Not on song often enough.

Hopefully it’s mainly to do with his problems with injury and he can put it behind him and play consistent football.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think it is more who they can budget for 80 quality minutes, like Hanigan covering lock then 6, Dempsey may start or finish at 7

My guess is either Gamble or Tizzano will get minutes each game, but not 80 - so who can provide flexible cover

Ned ain't here this year either.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ned ain't here this year either.

Yep and no Hooper who could also be budgeted for 80 as well, we will have a lock on the bench (because meh), so just one backrower as cover with a couple of backrow units now required to deliver 80 minutes

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Santos are already a major sponsor of the Reds as well, throwing a lot of money at rugby union. Which former Wallaby/chairman sits on their board?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Santos are already a major sponsor of the Reds as well, throwing a lot of money at rugby union. Which former Wallaby/chairman sits on their board?

None, their board is actually a bunch of odd bods.

https://www.santos.com/about-us/our-board/

It is an interesting one though, Santos is HQ'd in SA, their main investment in NSW is their controversial CSG plans around Narrabri/Coonabarabran. Inner city Tahs supporters couldn't give two fucks about that. It is massively controversial though, so I think this is just a bit of community investment now that it will be on Ch 9.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Controversial to be sure KOB. I wonder if any other sponsors feel at all uncomfortable about SANTOS' involvement?

I certainly feel a bit uncomfortable about it as a supporter.

Sponsoring a trial match in Narrabri as a Festival of Rugby was pretty on the nose in my view.

I'd bet anything on the fact that at some point in the next decade or two we'll be ruing the decision to allow it to go ahead and saying that if only we'd known that it might poison our largest groundwater basin and ruin productive farmland...

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm just very happy the Tahs have got a great new sponsor.

However when it comes to finding a new sponsor that would satisfy the 'woke' amongst us it's pointless.

The goal posts move every 5 minutes depending on which cause, company or person is on todays woke hit list. ... they'll be scrutinizing, outing and cancelling the moral/environmental/climate failings of us all eventually (Except for Saint Greta and Saint Jacinda of course).

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
BH the unanswered question is the groundwater. Where they are drilling, I can assure you, productive it ain't!
The whole water question is a tough one, and it's not just the Santos gas fields near Narrabri where it raises it's head.
The upper Hunter, Kepco's Bylong coal mine, the Bowden Silver Mine at Lue, are just a few among many where water is the issue.
The problem is, you have a group of extremely well qualified and well regarded hydro-geologists saying groundwater won't be affected, and another equally well regarded group saying it will. Now, obviously if you already have a strong position either pro or anti this type of development you will choose the research that supports your position, however if you are trying to take an open-minded position it's very hard for a layman to come to a position.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH the unanswered question is the groundwater. Where they are drilling, I can assure you, productive it ain't!
The whole water question is a tough one, and it's not just the Santos gas fields near Narrabri where it raises it's head.
The upper Hunter, Kepco's Bylong coal mine, the Bowden Silver Mine at Lue, are just a few among many where water is the issue.

That's the issue here though. The groundwater it potentially affects covers such a vast area that does include so much fertile agricultural land.

However when it comes to finding a new sponsor that would satisfy the 'woke' amongst us it's pointless.

I don't think it's about being woke or not. It's about allowing projects with modest financial value to taxpayers with potentially disastrous environmental outcomes that will ultimately fall on the public to pay to clean up.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m sure the Tahs considered the reputation risk when the agreed to SANTOS and factored that into the monetary benefit, similarly in QLD, Rio Tinto have been sponsors of the Reds Indigenous program for years now. Which is an interesting relationship after the Juukan Gorge caves incident. Brumbies are sponsored by TAB, which carries the social stigma of encouraging gambling. Likewise the Wallabies with BET365.

It’s difficult for professional organisations to support ethical sponsors whilst also hitting their financial targets.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It’s difficult for professional organisations to support ethical sponsors whilst also hitting their financial targets.

That's the crux of it.

I'm well aware of the Waratahs financial issues (like every team in Australia) and accept that they can't be that picky when it comes to sponsorship.

Likewise, the companies likely to throw significant money behind sponsoring sporting teams in the current economic climate are more likely to be companies with somewhat questionable practices etc.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think there's a line in terms of the money you are willing to accept. If a business is operating within the law, then I'm broadly happy for them to sponsor the Waratahs.

However it's the next step that is the kicker. I don't like betting sponsorships. It's not so much having 'Sportsbet' on the side of the field, or on the jersey, but it's the associated (contractual) in-game promotions and the tacit acknowledgement of the team/code that having a bet is a thing we should be encouraging.

I can see how some may be uncomfortable with Santos, but I am OK with it, mainly because it won't be like the above. God help us if we have Jack Dempsey on the screen at half time imploring the crowd to support CSG projects. Then my opinion might shift.