• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sponsoring a trial match in Narrabri as a Festival of Rugby was pretty on the nose in my view.

Is it what. Lot of people protested that and it still gets up. FFS...

A dozen dipshits quote "wind turbine syndrome" at a community meeting and suddenly there is controversy o_O

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
However it's the next step that is the kicker. I don't like betting sponsorships. It's not so much having 'Sportsbet' on the side of the field, or on the jersey, but it's the associated (contractual) in-game promotions and the tacit acknowledgement of the team/code that having a bet is a thing we should be encouraging.

As an aside, the normalisation of sports gambling promotion within sport is so problematic for kids.

I like gambling on sport but can absolutely see how destructive this is going to be for a lot of kids who grow up seeing it as something that is intrinsic to sport and their following of it.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
And herein lies the problem I was alluding to..

Ethics are largely a matter of opinion and what is ethical to you or I may be extremely unethical to those with conflicting ideologies.

The real issue is that some sections of the community are inclined to forcing their own éthics/ideology upon everyone else. It's already kicked off on this thread with the anti fracking view etc.

I'm not judging either way but my point is to accept the sponsorship because whatever you do, you'll never please everyone....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There are ethical companies?

Ethical? it depends on the viewer's opinion and is just so subjective

Don't like them? Use your free will and don't but their products and if someone is totally at odds with them - stop watching the Tahs

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The real issue is that some sections of the community are inclined to forcing their own éthics/ideology upon everyone else. It's already kicked off on this thread with the anti fracking view etc.

I don't see anyone forcing their own ethics on others here. People can be uncomfortable with a gas company sponsoring the Tahs, just like betting or alcohol or anything. They are allowed to say so in this forum, it's just an exchange of opinions really.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It does seem like something of a gamble throwing your lot in with something that is potentially divisive.

Been burnt by that shit before.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And herein lies the problem I was alluding to..

Ethics are largely a matter of opinion and what is ethical to you or I may be extremely unethical to those with conflicting ideologies.

I'm not judging either way but my point is to accept the sponsorship because whatever you do, you'll never please everyone..

It was my favourite course at uni, business ethics was hilarious, we had the lecturer aghast with our plan to market cigarettes with no advertising allowed

(A PR campaign highlighting the appetite suppressant qualities was our shits & giggles)

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I laugh when people talk about ethical Investing, because there is no hard and fast rule on what that is. It’s subjective and opinionated. But it’s a term which gets thrown around a lot these days, and sporting teams accepting sponsorship from a company is no different. It’s equally as subjective and opinionated.

If there’s an ethical opposition to SANTOS, is there also an opposition to ANZ and CBA who extend financial agreements to SANTOS which allows them to conduct their business? Is vegetarianism ethical, or does it have to be vegan? What is the ethical standard which a organisation should seek to aspire.

It really is a minefield in the social media era.

A SANTOS festival in Narrabri might unease some, but there’s also a lot of people out that way who have benefited directly and indirectly form SANTOS investment, and don’t necessarily see them as others do.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
I laugh when people talk about ethical Investing, because there is no hard and fast rule on what that is. It’s subjective and opinionated. But it’s a term which gets thrown around a lot these days, and sporting teams accepting sponsorship from a team is no different. It’s equally as subjective and opinionated.

If there’s an ethical opposition to SANTOS, is there also an opposition to ANZ and CBA who extend financial agreements to SANTOS which allows them to conduct their business? Is vegetarianism ethical, or does it have to be vegan? What is the ethical standard which a organisation should seek to aspire.

It really is a minefield in the social media era.

Exactly what I'm talking about...

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
I don't see anyone forcing their own ethics on others here. People can be uncomfortable with a gas company sponsoring the Tahs, just like betting or alcohol or anything. They are allowed to say so in this forum, it's just an exchange of opinions really.

Wasn't meaning this thread as such, just noting that there are different views on everything and the tahs sponsor choice will never satisfy everyone

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

For me, it's not about ethics so much as it is about accurately weighing up the cost vs the benefit (and I'm not really talking about the sponsorship dollars from Santos so much as the approval of the project itself).

How much money is the taxpayer extracting from it, versus what is the long term cost to taxpayers going to be? The long term cost is largely unknown because it is largely uncertain how much damage could be done to the groundwater and what cleanup costs could be. There is absolutely a long history of the cleanup costs of mining projects falling almost entirely on taxpayers by design.

In relation to the gambling ads, what is likely to be the long term cost of gambling on taxpayers both from a social and economic perspective when we have generations who have grown up with gambling being completely embedded in sports broadcasting?

They're both industries where we don't price into the equation what it costs taxpayers to allow the industry to operate the way it does.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I mean, yeah.....? The Big Four were public enemy number 1 for at least a year.

Whether the ethical objection is well founded is kind of beside the point. The risk involved in associating with a divisive group is obvious.

Reactions: dru

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
If I can get r/wallstreetbets to bankrupt "Santos" will this in turn bankrupt the Tahs?

giphy.gif

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Yes, Derpus, there are plenty of ethical companies.
BH, I don't disagree with your argument, however the positive for allowing these projects to go ahead is not just modest financial value to taxpayers. In many cases they offer jobs and a significant economic boost to struggling small communities. Take the Kepco mine at Bylong, which has now been knocked back by both the IPC and on appeal (a decision with which I, by the way, heartily agree). For a small town like Kandos, which existed for the Charbon coal mine and the Australian Cement works, both of which closed. That town has been devastated, massive unemployment and all the social issues that go with it. That coal mine had the potential to be it's saviour. As I say, I agree with the decision, but like so many of these issues, the answers aren't as simple and straight-forward as we'd like them to be.
Sorry about the politics, I will say no more on the subject.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
A SANTOS festival in Narrabri might unease some, but there’s also a lot of people out that way who have benefited directly and indirectly form SANTOS investment, and don’t necessarily see them as others do.

Just tried to book accommodation in Narrabri for Friday night, and every hotel is booked out.

Reactions: TSR

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Poey reads G&GR!
Former Wallabies great David Pocock has blasted both Scott Morrison and Anthony Albanese over climate change inaction.
Pocock fronted a climate rally outside Parliament House on Tuesday calling for the federal government’s gas-led recovery to be scrapped in favour of renewables.
The gas plan includes unlocking supply at new and existing gas fields in five key basins and identifying priority gas infrastructure projects. (today's Australian)